Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champ OHV starter ?s - housing differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ OHV starter ?s - housing differences?

So when I picked up a 7E5 OHV six for my 7E5 project last July, the engine did not have a starter motor on it...

Person I got the engine from had a starter laying around, and tossed it into the truck so I would have something to "start" with - however, missing a couple of things.

First - the bendix drive ("Folo-thru" as labelled by the shop manual - it pulls the starter drive in toward the ring gear - opposite what other bendix drives do) does not have the set screw (that is what the manual lists it as - parts book calls it a pin...) which is supposed to keep the bendix on the armature shaft - part number is 1550897 - SI parts look-up function does not show anything.

Second - there were zero bolts to hold the starter to the bell housing. Two of the bolts are standard (3/8" - 24 x 1 7/8) with nut and lock washer. The third bolt only says "special" - pn 1685375 along with the standard 3/8 nut and lock washer. Again, online parts look-up shows nothing available. The shop manual does not say anything about a special bolt or where it might go.

So, any indications about what I need to be looking for? Thanks ahead.
    Last edited by 62champ; 06-12-2018, 04:00 AM.

Patrick, one thing to note about Studebaker International - they have a lot more parts than what shows in the catalog (or online). Call them, give them the part numbers, and they will check to see if they have the parts. It will take a few days but they will get back to you and let you know if they have the parts and the cost if they do.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks Paul - I just use the website as a source of information to see what prices are and such.

Comment

The "Bendix lock screw" should be a Standard Set Screw that may be a Hardware store item, if not your Auto Electric Shop should have it.
        You will have to "test fit" some to the shaft to get the right size.

This should be a Prestolite/Autolite Starter, which should be common to "Some of" other makes available parts.

The (1) 1685375 "Special" 3/8" Starter Mounting Bolt (of 3) is definitely a Studebaker Only, non-Hardware store item.

I can not remember years ago, when we dialed in a Champ Truck Clutch housing, it possibly is an Eccentric, offset Dowel Bolt used for fastening AND dialing-in, to center the Housing. What I am not sure of is whether it was just an Eccentric Dowel Bolt for ONLY the Clutch housing, OR one of the Starter Bolts.

The '63-'64 Champs have (2) 7/16" Starter Bolts similar to the V8's, all of the above is for a '62 that the OP has, and probably earlier Models.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Follow up question - friend in PA who parted out a '61 Champ with the OHV six kept everything that was not rusted to pieces - not much. One of the things he did keep was the starter. Sent a photo of it the other day and the body of his starter motor has a heavy band around the center where the starter I have (tag missing so not sure what model it is) seems to be less "heavy" than the other. Reason?

My starter:

Starter off 1961 Champ: Also note it has all the attachment bolts - none of which seem to be special in any way - all three the same.

Comment

The rusty one with the band is a Delco probably from the 4E series Champion six cylinder trucks. The starter in the second photo is a AutoLite/Prestolite. Either should work, but check the critical dimensions to be sure.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I am suspicious that the rusty one may be a 6 volt starter. Most of the starters I have seen with a brush inspection band have been 6 volt, and note that the gear teeth on the starter drive are larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                I am suspicious that the rusty one may be a 6 volt starter. Most of the starters I have seen with a brush inspection band have been 6 volt, and note that the gear teeth on the starter drive are larger.
                Good eyes Jerry!

Patrick, compare those teeth (size and count) closely. Too bad the tag is gone on that 'unknown' starter.....we could have easily figured out exactly what it was by the number.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

According to the 2E-8E shop manual, there are different autolite starters, but they all have the same 9 tooth starter drive gear 124 teeth on the ring gear. Even if only 6 volt, it would work, for a while...

Comment

Working...
                  X