Baker 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Baker 18

I would greatly appreciate some help/advice about my Veteran 1918 SH 4 door Tourer rear wheel rims. One of the rear rims has lugs attached to the rim where the cleat/wheel nut assembly attaches itself to the wheel stud. Is this an original Studebaker fitment or an after thought fitted up to help with a better gripping of the outer rim and tyre assembly to the felloe and felloe band/spoke assembly ? I am currently having new rims made and since removing all rims for the first time never really noticed these pieces of metal being there before. Do I have these lugs reattached or "not concern myself with them" ? There are not too many Veterans over here in Australia so any information would be greatly recieved. My Studebaker has been off the road now for some 5 years and I am going like a" bat out of hell" trying to have him finished for the " International drive your Studebaker day at 8th September. Have had new felloe's fitted to the rear wheels and managed to save all spokes. Made new king pins and bushes with new thrust washers. Have had to remake all hub and wheel stud coach bolts as you will all know all modern coach bolts now have a rolled thread and not a traditional cut thread, so the shanks are smaller than the thread size. Such alot of work for nothing..... but have to do it so as it all works correctly. Cannot or should I say "WILL NOT" take short cuts as previous rebuilder did many years before me. Anyhows this is my plight, so again, will greatly appreciate any help or advice in the above mentioned issue. Awaiting your replies John Martin from "Down Under" Keeping more Studebaker's on the road.

Here are the photos of my veteran 1918 studebaker showing the lugs that i have been referring to, i hope these will help resolve my issue.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_162145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1758019 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_162202.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1758020 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_162221.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1758021 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_162252.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1758023Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_162241.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1758022
    Last edited by Baker 18; 06-09-2018, 03:49 PM.

Originally posted by Baker 18 View Post
    There are not too many Veterans over here in Australia
    John, Maybe Dave Pink in Altond Meadows, Victoria might be able to shed some light. His vintage roadster is often seen keeping up with traffic on the highways and byways down under.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Good morning Rockne10 I have sent him a similar email last week for some assistance but as yet have had no reply. His Vet is a 1916 SF, which may or may not be same/similiar. As of this morning 11/06/2018, I have had 163 views from SDCF & you are the only person to make contact. You haven't suggested anything so I am assuming you are not familiar with 1918/1919 Veteran vehicles and/or their wheels. Thankyou for your reply. Still waiting for some sort of response from another SDCF Studebaker Veteran enthusiast as I have mentioned before, there has got to be more of you in the US of A than there is in Australia. Thankyou Johnny M.

Comment

You may also get response if you post in the Antique Automobile Club of America's forum page dedicated to Studebaker and related vehicles. That page is not nearly as active as the SDC forum but it is primarily visited by those with pre-war interests and knowledge.

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Good morning Rockne10. I am sorry for late reply. Have been interstate driving (truck driving that is) Will give the people at Antique Auto a go. Thankyou again for your assistance Johnny M.

Comment

Working...
          X