Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: New Edelbrock "AVS2" Four Barrel Carburator

Saw this recently.
    Am impressed with (a) The annular flow booster venturi ring....
    And (b) The bolt on GM trans adapter linkage piece.....
    And (c) It comes in 'satin' and 'Endurashine. (Satin is like the old WCFB and AFB)

That GM trans adapter piece has been a bugaboo with Stude's using the cast iron intake
    as the trans kickdown cable link hits the intake heat crossover.

This new carb looks like it addresses that situation quite nicely.
    Probably going to try one out soon...

(copy)

Edelbrock AVS2 Series™ Carburetors
    The AVS2 Series is the next generation in Edelbrock carburetors. The AVS2 features annular flow primary boosters with a new calibration for improved off idle and cruising performance. The annular flow booster design delivers improved fuel atomization to eliminate flat spots that may be encountered when the carburetor transitions from idle to full throttle. Each annular booster features eight, equally spaced orifices to improve fuel metering from idle to the main. The improved flow metering makes this carburetor ideal for use with a wide variety of small-block and big-block engines with either dual- or single-plane intake manifolds. The AVS2 includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance.

500 CFM, MANUAL OR ELECTRIC CHOKE
    (THE ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE CARBURETOR)
    Designed and calibrated for small cubic-inch engines and dual-quad applications such as our RPM Dual-Quad Air-Gap, Edelbrock C-26, F-28 and Street Tunnel Ram. For single carb applications, match with an Edelbrock Performer or Performer EPS manifold or other brands of similar design. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. #1901/#1902 are calibrated for single-quad applications and factory equipped with: Metering Jets - Primary .095, Secondary .095, Primary Rod .070 x .052, orange spring (5' Hg). #1903 is calibrated for dual-quad applications and factory equipped with: Metering Jets - Primary .095, Secondary .077; Metering Rods - .070 x .052; #1904 includes Primary .095, Secondary .077; Metering Rods - .070 x .052; Step-Up Spring - orange (5' Hg). Use carb Studs #8008 or #8024 if needed. Match with an Edelbrock intake manifold for the ultimate induction upgrade.
    Application Emissions Satin Endurashine
    CALIBRATED FOR SINGLE CARB APPLICATIONS
    500 cfm, Square-Flange, Electric Choke (non-EGR) 1901 19014
    500 cfm, Square-Flange, Manual Choke (non-EGR) 1902 19024
    WHY IS AN ANNULAR BOOSTER BETTER?
    The typical downleg boosters (on the left), are located in the carburetor primaries and simply provide fuel down the center of the venturi. Annular boosters (on the right), feature eight equally spaced smaller holes for better fuel atomization. The improved fuel atomization eliminates flat spots when the carburetor transitions from idle to part throttle for better low rpm performance. The annular boosters can also potentially offer improved mileage in some applications.

WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS THINK!
    'Last weekend, I took a cruise from Arlington to Spokane. This was about a 350 mile trip one way, plus I drove through the Snoqualmie Pass at an elevation of 3,000 feet. On last year's trip I got around 16 mpg, this year it was closer to 18 mpg. Throttle response off idle is phenomenal! When compared to the Holley, it's not even in the same league - the AVS2 out performs it easily. Aggressively opening the throttle gave a very crisp response and excellent power.'- Brian Hosenfeld, 1966 Chevy Nova
    'The smooth throttle response is the largest comparable change in this new carb. It just seems like the restriction has been removed on my car.'- Mark Taylor, 1968 Chevy Chevelle
    'Super responsive, made traffic cruising much more enjoyable.'- Michael Volkmann, 1971 Plymouth Duster

PRODUCT EMISSIONS GUIDE
    The following guide is designed to help you determine which Edelbrock components are legal for use on your vehicle. Learn more about Edelbrock Product Emissions Guide. 50-State Legal
    For Racing Use ONLY
    For Use on Pre-Pollution Controlled Vehicles (PPCV)
    Stock Replacement Part
    Engine Swaps

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

This is a BIG step for better fuel atomization than with non-annular boosters, ("conventional" boosters).
    In other words, it's a very good thing to have for performance, driveability and mileage.

Mike

Comment

SERIOUSLY considering replacing my Stromberg 2BBL with a 4 barrel intake and a 1403 carb on my stock 259; I'm thinking this may be a better choice; will be watching to see if anyone reviews one soon.....

Comment

I would be interested in hearing about this if somebody tries it... I just bought a 390 Holley that Ill put on sometime this summer
        Last edited by what huh; 06-09-2018, 06:37 PM.
        Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Down leg boosters do not dump fuel straight down!!! educate yourselves before making a purchase like this when fuel is "dumped" into the air stream there is a change of state, from a frothy liquid to a vapor. all those favorable reports? how crappy was their old carb set up. a fresh built AFB works way better than the before version. just saying, think people. new and improved aint always better!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

Doof -

This design ISN"T even remotely...close to new.
            Do your own homework and maybe see the light.
            Some 40's aircraft carburetors had annular style fuel delivery.
            Most all aftermarket fuel injection systems have...annular style fuel delivery.

Mike
            Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 06-10-2018, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Fuel is not 'dumped' as you say.
              Fuel is PUSHED into the low pressure area in the venturi by the outside air pressure....annular or booster style irrelevant.
              Bernoulli cannot be trifled with
              Your comment about the version is telling, because the old AFB works the same way.
              Just the newer technology in the annular ring is indeed an improvement.
              It is just harder to manufacture, so the older versions never used it because of cost.

Originally posted by doofus View Post
              Down leg boosters do not dump fuel straight down!!! educate yourselves before making a purchase like this when fuel is "dumped" into the air stream there is a change of state, from a frothy liquid to a vapor. all those favorable reports? how crappy was their old carb set up. a fresh built AFB works way better than the before version. just saying, think people. new and improved aint always better!!! Luck Doofus

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Great a pasta maker gets good marks! its the new and improved stuff that gripes me and when you get too technical peoples eyes glaze over. Deepinhock and Mike are right and by now there are probably omly a few still interested in this discussion. Do the homework, rhen plunk down your money.Of course you'r results will probably Varie LOL. Luck Doofus

Comment

Point well taken.
                  What was originally provided was information.
                  What was added was opinion.
                  Opinion is not necessarily information.

Great a pasta maker gets good marks! its the new and improved stuff that gripes me and when you get too technical peoples eyes glaze over. Deepinhock and Mike are right and by now there are probably only a few still interested in this discussion. Do the homework, rhen plunk down your money.Of course you'r results will probably vary. LOL. Luck Doofus

Jeff

Comment

Its the over hyping of the idea that bothers me. yes mike the annular discharge booster has been around a long time. i think holley might have used them in the 70's? when the Thunder series came out with the Air Valve Secondary it to was over hyped in my humble opinion. does anybody have an AFB without an AVS? not likely. Jeff i cant argue symantics, to old i guess.call it a discharge tube then. question, will the annular discharge booster stop up with crud like EFI injectors do? guess i just have to many questions, meanwhile enjoy the info, opinions and the ride!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

I won't argue with you either.

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                      Its the over hyping of the idea that bothers me. yes mike the annular discharge booster has been around a long time. i think holley might have used them in the 70's? when the Thunder series came out with the Air Valve Secondary it to was over hyped in my humble opinion. does anybody have an AFB without an AVS? not likely. Jeff i cant argue symantics, to old i guess.call it a discharge tube then. question, will the annular discharge booster stop up with crud like EFI injectors do? guess i just have to many questions, meanwhile enjoy the info, opinions and the ride!!! Luck Doofus

Jeff

Comment

Ford used annular discharge nozzles on the autolite 4100 carbs for many years and they worked great,If I'm not mistaken,Ford invented the annular discharge Venturi's.
                        Dave

Comment

Yes along with that other great "engineering marvel" the Variable Vagina carb AKA the "VV"...Variable Venturi:-(
                          Originally posted by Caso wannabe View Post
                          Ford used annular discharge nozzles on the autolite 4100 carbs for many years and they worked great,If I'm not mistaken,Ford invented the annular discharge Venturi's.
                          Dave

Comment

My Grandpa's '79 LTD had a variable venturi carb. It ended up getting replaced a (IIRC) Motorcraft 2-barrel from Westside Auto Salvage back when that was around. A guy at work, who use to work on cop cars in the '80s, claims that they weren't so bad, except that varnish and other dirt did a number on them.
                            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Could the new AVS2 be adapted to work on an R-2? The current AFB on mine is at the end of its useful life. I am aware of the different throat size and can deal with that. If it can be made to work should I get a 600 CFM rather than the recommended for small displacement engines 500 CFM since the engine has R-3 intake valves, some valve pocket work done and R-3 exhaust manifolds.
                              Last edited by 41 Frank; 03-24-2019, 09:39 AM.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X