63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 63 Avanti

Its been a while since I have posted anything here. But would appreciate some feedback.
    For a while I have been looking around for a 63 or 64 Avanti with a manual transmission.
    I am in Ventura County just outside Los Angeles. I located a car via the internet and it is located in Idaho.
    Supposedly the car is owned by a doctor who is deployed overseas.
    He has sent me several pictures of the car which has been frame off restored 5 years ago and looks to be in excellent condition. He is asking 19500.00 for the car and that includes transporting it to my house.
    The car is being held at a transport company and I am not allowed to see the car in person. They want payment in full with an understanding that if I dont like the car after it is delivered it can be returned for a full refund not to exceed 7 days.
    This just sounds wierd to me if I am forking out almost 20grand for car I want to be able to see it, drive it look underneath and check things you cant see in pictures.
    My question for you all is if anyone in the area of Idaho might be familiar with the car.
    And would you risk 20 grand on a car you cant get access to. I was burned once buying a car on E bay and I dont want to have it happen again. Also does anyone know of a classic car web site I can go to. To check the vehicle history. The vin is 7 digits and most web sites want more numbers than that.

Thanks for your input

Mark

I will sell you a bridge for $30K. However you can't inspect nor will I send you any pictures and no refunds.
    David L

Comment

I assume the doctor was deployed to Nigeria. There are so many things wrong with this.

Comment

It is a classic scam.

Comment

A scam for sure.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

RUN dont walk the other way, keep looking. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by MPallock View Post
              Its been a while since I have posted anything here. But would appreciate some feedback.
              For a while I have been looking around for a 63 or 64 Avanti with a manual transmission.
              I am in Ventura County just outside Los Angeles. I located a car via the internet and it is located in Idaho.
              Supposedly the car is owned by a doctor who is deployed overseas.
              He has sent me several pictures of the car which has been frame off restored 5 years ago and looks to be in excellent condition. He is asking 19500.00 for the car and that includes transporting it to my house.
              The car is being held at a transport company and I am not allowed to see the car in person. They want payment in full with an understanding that if I dont like the car after it is delivered it can be returned for a full refund not to exceed 7 days.
              This just sounds wierd to me if I am forking out almost 20grand for car I want to be able to see it, drive it look underneath and check things you cant see in pictures.
              My question for you all is if anyone in the area of Idaho might be familiar with the car.
              And would you risk 20 grand on a car you cant get access to. I was burned once buying a car on E bay and I dont want to have it happen again. Also does anyone know of a classic car web site I can go to. To check the vehicle history. The vin is 7 digits and most web sites want more numbers than that.

Thanks for your input

Mark
              Is this a real legitimate request, or are you pranking us?

I have dreams, aspirations, and desires of possessing certain earthly items. I grew up in relative poverty, worked hard, paid for my own education, and far exceeded the expectations of those who know me. Every cent I've made has come by toil & sweat, and I don't turn loose of my money easily.

Don't get me wrong...I love and enjoy the original Avanti. However, I have never seen a single one that didn't need lots of tinkering to keep them going, maintained, and many have had to have extensive work to make them reliable, and enjoyable. Even with a perfect restoration, due to her fragile back, my wife couldn't ride safely in one (or most so-called sports cars of the era.).

I wouldn't turn loose of a thousand bucks without close verification...even if it was a solid 100% restored Studebaker Coupe Express...and certainly not an early rough riding, rushed to production, prone to cracking, fiberglass bodied, gasping last ditch effort of an attempt for a corporate division trying to save itself from being left in the dust by more powerful corporate members wanting to ditch auto production.

Regarding this deal...think of your most expensive favorite food, and then ask yourself if some stranger offered to prepare the meal with the stipulation that you had to pay first, then eat it blindfolded! Not me!

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Run away from that deal as fast as you can. Bud

Comment

/////// The vin is 7 digits and most web sites want more numbers than that.//////

What is the serial number they told you?
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Definitely sounds like a scam to me. No reputable seller would deny a potential buyer an opportunity to view the car offered for sale.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Run Forest, RUN!!

Comment

Yep this indeed was a scam you all were right. I offered to fly over Idaho and inspect the car and he shut me out and willnot respond. Just for giggles the VIN is 63R3900. Thank you guys.

Mark

Comment

How Bout that, we mostly agreed on that one!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

You asked if anyone in Idaho had heard of this car, there are a few of them around but it is a large state and you didn't mention where in Idaho. I agree that it does sound like a scam, however there are some eccentrics around too.
                            Rob

Comment

That eccentric may be from Nigeria, or simular homes of scammers. Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X