No announcement yet.

Electric fuel pump? Balderdash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the OP used the word "balderdash", and frankly, that has to count for something. (Pretty darned cool...)
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I just strive to keep my cars stock and shudder at those who take the easy way out instead of trying to fix what’s broken.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
        I just strive to keep my cars stock and shudder at those who take the easy way out instead of trying to fix what’s broken.
        Well, if you have a ready supply of 1965 gasoline, go for it.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
          Sir, you are entirely entitled to keep YOUR car stock. But, trying to "fix what's broken" as you say isn't possible when there is nothing "broken." It is the evaporative properties of today's fuel and sitting for long periods of time. Those of us who chose to, if I can use the word, "fix" it do so with an electric fuel pump. And to us it is not "nonsense." It is wisdom.

Had you simply said, 'I prefer to keep MY car stock and don't mind cranking it for 18 seconds before it starts,' then I don't think so many would have felt they had been harassed for electing to use an electric fuel pump.
          Last edited by wittsend; 06-08-2018, 09:08 PM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I’m putting an electric fuel pump in my ‘63 Hawk because I want to drive it. Starting it,even after a long period of time isn’t a big issue. It’s keeping my Hawk drivable and not having it vapor lock while in traffic here in Denver on a 90 degree day. Once up to temp, my Hawk will begin to vapor lock if I sit at a stop light for more than a minute on any day over 75 degrees. Back in the day when we had “real” gas I never had any problems with it vapor locking. But now that times are different, the original mechanical fuel pump just won’t cut it. An electric pump is the only way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoHawk View Post
              I’m putting an electric fuel pump in my ‘63 Hawk because I want to drive it. Starting it,even after a long period of time isn’t a big issue. It’s keeping my Hawk drivable and not having it vapor lock while in traffic here in Denver on a 90 degree day. Once up to temp, my Hawk will begin to vapor lock if I sit at a stop light for more than a minute on any day over 75 degrees. Back in the day when we had “real” gas I never had any problems with it vapor locking. But now that times are different, the original mechanical fuel pump just won’t cut it. An electric pump is the only way to go.
              exactly the issue...case in point, yesterday nice and warm about 85 F temp and truck was acting funky in traffic at traffic lights waiting because of road construction issues, decided to turn on electric fuel pump and all was well. Got home, lifted hood with engine running and watched fuel boil in glass fuel filter and pressure gage needle fluttering...flipped on fuel pump and in a matter of a few seconds no boiling fuel in filter, rock-steady fuel pressure, and steady idle. My car, with much higher underhood temps than my truck, has no mechanical pump, only electric pump has never demonstrated any issues in traffic no matter what the outside temperature is. To Tim333...do you drive your car on warm days in rush hour traffic, if you do how come your car has no issues with boiling fuel? cheers, junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I wonder if anyone here has tried adding a quart of diesel fuel to a tank of 10% ethanol crap gas?
                I've read that someone tried it with good results to eliminate the easy boiling of today's gas.
                I plan to try it if I'm on a trip and can't find the better gas without corn crap in it.

My Model A with gravity feed has boiling and vapor lock problems when using the 10% crap gas, but runs fine on the better gas without corn crap.
                Ethanol took out my stock 50 Champion pump in MI, so I had to install an electric pump to get home, and I still use the electric pump, but the gas still boils in the carb and floods the engine during short stops, like 5 to 30 minutes. I added a heat shield to the carb mount, and that helped a lot, but still isn't perfect like the 60's and 70's driving was.

Now, here is the real puzzler. So far my 1950 Land Cruiser with it's stock pump has been absolutely perfect as far as gas goes, even when using the corn crap on the 650 mile drive home. The engine is running the instant I touch the starter button, whether it's the first start in 3 days, or a hot restart. I always use 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each 10 gallons of gas, and double it if I get stuck with corn gas.

Comment

In the last 40 years, never had any problems with stock engines in my 36 and 47 Fords as well as my 57 Commander. Just sayin.

Comment

Apparently some here disagree, and see the 18 second cranking as a "problem".

Comment

I have one vehicle right now that has an electric pump. After using it now for 6 months I am seriously thinking of putting one in each of the others. that &/or the FITech fuel injection system.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have NO idea why it is that several of you here "Think" it is a good thing for a Car to sit 30-45 Days and then just flip a Electric Fuel Pump Switch and ...like Magic it fires RIGHT up!

No, that is a bad thing, I always crank the engine until the Mechanical Pump fills the Line and Carb. and starts.
                        I don't care if it is 10, 15, 18 or 20 Seconds, I never timed it. The Oil Pressure will be UP and Oil circulated and all is good, not Bad as with method #1. That is what GOOD Starters and Batteries do, no harm is done from that.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich.

Comment

To each his own,,, and you have to pronounce that cool word properly to get the full effect. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              ...10% ethanol crap gas.....easy boiling of today's gas...... gas without corn crap in it.

.....corn crap....the corn crap..... corn gas.

Blah, blah, blah.

I can clearly remember when, on good ole regular gas, there were cars stalled from vapor lock every time the temp was above 90 degrees.

Drive down any road, on any day. How any stalled cars do you see? Virtually none. What are they running? 10 or 15 percent ethanol. The fact that your ancient clunker gives trouble rests with the mechanic, not the fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                                Blah, blah, blah.

I can clearly remember when, on good ole regular gas, there were cars stalled from vapor lock every time the temp was above 90 degrees.

Drive down any road, on any day. How any stalled cars do you see? Virtually none. What are they running? 10 or 15 percent ethanol. The fact that your ancient clunker gives trouble rests with the mechanic, not the fuel.
                                Yes, no maybe. Let me clarify. The cars today ALL use a highly pressurized closed fuel system of at least 35 psi at the injectors. The gas we buy.....corn crap or not, won't boil at those pressures. Use it in an open non pressurized fuel system, is where the problems manifest themselves. Isolate any heat from any fuel source, and run a recirculating bypass system, and you can successfully run todays fuel formulations.
                                Bez Auto Alchemy
                                573-318-8948
                                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X