No announcement yet.

Electric fuel pump? Balderdash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of different opinions here, which is what makes the forum interesting. I do think that there is one indisputable fact, and that is, if your rubber, gas related parts are not ethanol compatible, they will swell up and turn to mush. I have seen this on fuel pump diaphrams, and older rubber fuel hose. The first few years of ethanol fuel played hell on all of my gas powered tools, until I figured out that it was easy enough to put regular fuel in them.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Funny, I agree. You don't see many cars vapor lock these days. I have even found quite a few counter people in the local auto parts stores that have no idea what I'm talking about, but one thing was overlooked in the above response. How many of the cars on the road today don't have an electric pump?

I also noticed most of the people who talk down to electric drive in real heat? Here in Dallas the temp has been in the mid to high 90's for two weeks now and the weather forecast shows every day for the next two weeks to be the same. Welcome to summer in north Texas.

My 50 land cruiser came from Minnesota and the first day the temp hit 92 here it died. Gas in the filter was boiling.

This was common in the 50's thru 70's and electric pumps were a common fix.

Also, alcohol has a lower boiling point. Back in the WWII days antifreeze was hard to get and alcohol was a common sub. However most people removed there thermostat to keep the alcohol from boiling.
      sigpic
      Barn Find
      1950 Champion
      Before I started
      Jim Berry
      Midlothian, TX

Comment

So...let me see if I've got this right. Saving wear and tear on your starter and battery and firing your engine sooner is Balderdash? I'll stick with my electric pump to prime my carb, bolderdash be dammed.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          Yes, no maybe. Let me clarify. The cars today ALL use a highly pressurized closed fuel system of at least 35 psi at the injectors. The gas we buy.....corn crap or not, won't boil at those pressures. Use it in an open non pressurized fuel system, is where the problems manifest themselves. Isolate any heat from any fuel source, and run a recirculating bypass system, and you can successfully run todays fuel formulations.
          ALL? No. I own a '59 Sprite that never vapor locks. The pump on it is 3 psi. Neither do any of the other mechanically pumped, carbureted cars in the club. Nor do any of my small engines.

Crap corn gas is a YADADYADAYADA excuse for poorly maintained cars.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
            ALL? No. I own a '59 Sprite that never vapor locks. The pump on it is 3 psi. Neither do any of the other mechanically pumped, carbureted cars in the club. Nor do any of my small engines.

Crap corn gas is a YADADYADAYADA excuse for poorly maintained cars.
            I keep all my cars in top notch mechanical condition (been a mechanic for over 50 years), so you tell me why my Model A and Studebaker Champion have boiling gas problems when I use crap gas. Bez gave you the answer about today's cars not having vapor lock, and all the good mechanics and marinas also know about the bad things crap gas does. Maybe the gas you buy doesn't have 10 or 15% corn crap in it. BTW, I never had vapor lock in my life until corn crap was put in gas, and I drove in 100 degree Texas heat for 3 years.

Comment

Hear hear,
              Anyone notice most new cars came out wit electric fuel pumps about the time lead was removed and later corn squeezing was added. Things really went down hill from there. But we can sure breath better (if we are in the north woods or on a pacific island).

Ethanol has less energy, gets lower mileage, reduces horsepower, boils at a lower temp, absorbs water, destroys fuel pumps and carbs and cost us more. There is a reason it's not in airplane fuel.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
              X