Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last stude out of c and b (not for purists)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    I don't think anyone complained much about this one, almost identical:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73012[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]73013[/ATTACH] It really IS about whether or not you destroy a Rare and Valuable excellent condition, Original, antique or a Smashed, Rusted Junkyard piece.
    Truth is Studerich, I warned Jeff that I was stealing all the cues I could from his truck because I always thought it was and still is the most "Badass" Coupe Express I had ever seen. I actually tried to buy his and he wouldn't sell it to me. He did put the deal together for me to buy this one and I am forever in his debt. I wanted one of these from the first time I laid eyes on one @ the Orlando international meet, a silver one owned by Mr. Ernst I believe. He spent some extra time with me explaining all he knew about them and I have appreciated it to this day. I just hope I can do the same for someone who really has the vision like I did to finally be able to be the caretaker of such a magnificent work or art, I smile all the time now driving it!
    sigpic

Comment

Gene, those that might have been detractors would probably not have the stamina to do one tenth or less of what you have accomplished. I am in awe of what you have done to what began as a beautiful work of art & making it modern & sooo much better, leaving the best parts & improving what was needed. KUDOS!!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
        Gene, those that might have been detractors would probably not have the stamina to do one tenth or less of what you have accomplished. I am in awe of what you have done to what began as a beautiful work of art & making it modern & sooo much better, leaving the best parts & improving what was needed. KUDOS!!
        Thanks so much Warren, my hands are so tired and hurting from sanding and wrenching. I literally have spent the past few months of going to work everyday, going to Bob's shop every night and every weekend to get it done. It was also very expensive even though I did it myself. Every time I got a piece completed it gave me the strength to go on to the next one. This truck is as nice underneath as it is on top! It will be in Tacoma----
        sigpic

Comment

I'm just happy when ever I see someone who's made his car into his car!
          Most people seems to think about what others may think or how much it would be worth for sale & that's good enough for them & boring enough thoughts for me.
          Your car is YOUR car ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            I'm just happy when ever I see someone who's made his car into his car!
            Most people seems to think about what others may think or how much it would be worth for sale & that's good enough for them & boring enough thoughts for me.
            Your car is YOUR car ! ! !

Thank you very much noxnabaker, I sure hope most everyone enjoys how it turned out but, the most important part is that it's back on the road "Standing Tall" and representing one of the finest marquees ever. When people see it they can't believe it's a Studebaker!
            sigpic

Comment

Well Gene, I have often wondered where you went. Now I know as you've been damn busy. It truly is beautiful, just as Jeff's is. You guys are very talented, lucky guys who have done Studebaker very proud.
              Gene I'll be looking for you in Tacoma. On your thread is a red Champ. Is it the truck featured in Turning Wheels a couple of years back with that absolutely gorgeous Studebaker motor with Jeff's intake, finned valley and covers?? If so that is what has spurred me on to replicate the motor(with huge assistance and guidance from Jack & Jeff) for my '63 GT which I've owned since I was 18. At my ripe age I figured it was about time to get the old girl back on the road after 51 years and go cruising again. It's still got the original paint, which although not perfect will still polish out pretty well. Thanks to Nitro Cellulose Lacquer (where are the greenies?)
              Congrats and keep the pics coming.
              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                Well Gene, I have often wondered where you went. Now I know as you've been damn busy. It truly is beautiful, just as Jeff's is. You guys are very talented, lucky guys who have done Studebaker very proud.
                Gene I'll be looking for you in Tacoma. On your thread is a red Champ. Is it the truck featured in Turning Wheels a couple of years back with that absolutely gorgeous Studebaker motor with Jeff's intake, finned valley and covers?? If so that is what has spurred me on to replicate the motor(with huge assistance and guidance from Jack & Jeff) for my '63 GT which I've owned since I was 18. At my ripe age I figured it was about time to get the old girl back on the road after 51 years and go cruising again. It's still got the original paint, which although not perfect will still polish out pretty well. Thanks to Nitro Cellulose
                Lacquer (where are the greenies?
                Cheers, Bill
                Thanks very much Bill, yes my Champ was in turning wheels right after I finished it. Unfortunately my Daughter has taken possession of it and wont surrender it unless I replace it with a Wagonaire or the Coupex. She absolutely loves the Champ and it is such a nice driver with the 5 speed and 4 link rear and Volare subframe and of course that fine intake that Jeff Rice made for it. It runs so sweet and drives fantastic. Most people don't realize how much different a ride you get when you loose those rear leaf springs, sloppy bushings and antiquated shocks. I ran that truck around Lake Tahoe a bunch and it cornered like a Porsche plus it's rust free with the original floors and body panels, I love my Champ also!
                sigpic

Comment

WOW, that truck is so sharp I cut myself looking at the pictures. I WANT IT IN MY GARAGE!
                  sigpic
                  1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Beautiful job. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I saw one 2 years ago at a local car show in Mukilteo WA. My bet the owner is a member and when I saw a CE for the first time my jaw dropped.
                    sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

It looks fabulous. That will keep the Studebaker name in front of anyone who sees it!

Comment

Wow! I love it. The 37 Coupe Express is the Holy Grail that I never expect to own. I just have to make do with my die-cast model that sits on my desk in front of me every day.
                        If I was ever to modify anything on the body of a 37 CE, it would be the rear window...that little rectangular piece of flat glass looks like an after-thought compared to the beautiful curves everywhere else.
                        Cheers,
                        Jim
                        \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                        Jim Mann
                        Victoria, B.C.
                        Canada

Comment

Gene - I look forward to seeing your masterpiece at Tacoma. I will be there with my 48 Champion. The mods you have done are quite different from what I did, but seem absolutely appropriate, considering it is after all a truck. Over the last 30 years or so, new American pickup trucks are more and more luxurious and drive more and more like cars. I am sure yours is right up there with the best of them.

I am sure some of the people who meticulously restore their cars to original condition must derive a lot of satisfaction from the finished product. But they never have the experience of driving a classic car with modern driveability, handling, braking etc. As you said, many people just don't understand how much of a transformation you can get with a well thought out restomod.

I do agree with Studemann - a large oval window would fit in well with the shape of the fenders. I can't think of anything else I would change on the body.
                          Last edited by 48skyliner; 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM.
                          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                            Gene I'll be looking for you in Tacoma. On your thread is a red Champ. Is it the truck featured in Turning Wheels a couple of years back with that absolutely gorgeous Studebaker motor with Jeff's intake, finned valley and covers?? If so that is what has spurred me on to replicate the motor(with huge assistance and guidance from Jack & Jeff) for my '63 GT which I've owned since I was 18. At my ripe age I figured it was about time to get the old girl back on the road after 51 years and go cruising again. It's still got the original paint, which although not perfect will still polish out pretty well. Thanks to Nitro Cellulose Lacquer (where are the greenies?)
                            Cheers, Bill
                            I don't quite follow. If your "'63 GT" still has "original paint" it is enamel, not "Nitro Cellulose Lacquer (sic)".
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                              Gene - I look forward to seeing your masterpiece at Tacoma. I will be there with my 48 Champion. The mods you have done are quite different from what I did, but seem absolutely appropriate, considering it is after all a truck. Over the last 30 years or so, new American pickup trucks are more and more luxurious and drive more and more like cars. I am sure yours is right up there with the best of them.

I am sure some of the people who meticulously restore their cars to original condition must derive a lot of satisfaction from the finished product. But they never have the experience of driving a classic car with modern driveability, handling, braking etc. As you said, many people just don't understand how much of a transformation you can get with a well thought out restomod.
                              Thank you 48Skyliner, I followed your build, excited with every post. Your build makes mine look like a walk in the park. I know what it takes to accomplish what you did and I was amazed. The thought process was definitely up there. I'm just an ole country boy who likes to make them streetable, fast, and comfortable as well. The last thing I wanted to do was spend @ 100k on a Hot Rod and trailer it around. I sure hope to see your fantastic Studebaker @ Tacoma!
                              sigpic

Comment

Suspension

couple shots of the suspension, I will have to give credit to the previous owner for the initial running gear install, I rebuilt the front end and went through all the motor, transmission and cooling system. I also have to thank my buddy "Moon" for welding up the 4 link and bumper brackets. I'm a "Gorilla Welder," and I know it, my welds are ugly but strong. We didn't grind and smooth them perfectly because we didn't have 3-4 years to do this build and we're driving it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0158 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1720969Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0271 (3).jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1720970Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0160.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB