Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last stude out of c and b (not for purists)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gene. I, too, wondered what might have happened to you. I'm glad I was able to help in that small way. Your truck looks fabulous. I especially like the bumper treatment. I think that is slick.

i note that you retained the two-piece windshield. Did you do that so you'd have a place to mount the rear view mirror? Chris Piazza posted recently about fabricating a mirror mount for the windshield divider. That is on my list of things to do because I like that little rear window.

In any case, your truck looks great. Congratulations on getting to this stage of the project.

Tom

Comment

[QUOTE=tomlewis;1112895]Hi Gene. I, too, wondered what might have happened to you. I'm glad I was able to help in that small way. Your truck looks fabulous. I especially like the bumper treatment. I think that is slick.

i note that you retained the two-piece windshield. Did you do that so you'd have a place to mount the rear view mirror? Chris Piazza posted recently about fabricating a mirror mount for the windshield divider. That is on my list of things to do because I like that little rear window.

In any case, your truck looks great. Congratulations on getting to this stage of the project.

Tom[/QUOTE

Thanks Tom, that beautiful fender was a blessing, it was so straight Bob Peterson thought it was NOS. Been a long year and a half long ass whipping. It has been people like yourself that really reached out and helped me get the parts that were desperately needed. I in turn sent some of my parts that I didn't use to others as well, that's why Studebaker people care. I have a great rear view mirror that mounts perfectly for the little window height, didn't know any different combo existed. Thanks again for your help!
      sigpic

Comment

"It really IS about whether or not you destroy a Rare and Valuable excellent condition, Original, antique or a Smashed, Rusted Junkyard piece."

I disagree with your choice of words. I don't think I or Gene destroyed anything. If you take a really nice old classic and make it more driveable and safer, that seems to me to be a legitimate thing to do. Of course I would not put a Chevy engine in an old Ferrari that is worth a million dollars, but I am not aware of anything manufactured by Studebaker that I would not consider as a candidate for a restomod. If I want to upgrade or restomod a classic car, I will buy the best example I can afford as a starting point.

I paid $6000 for my 48 Champion, but I can recall at the time seeing a couple of cars close to museum quality for $15-20, 000. If I had it to do over, I would probably buy one of those. An extra year of my life is worth more than that to me.
        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Hey Gene, Hope to see you and the truck at the BBQ in Petaluma.

Though I made it to Bob's shop only a few times, I enjoyed seeing the progress and chatting with you.

-- Scott
          64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

BED

The bed was the hardest part, it was total junk and I cut it totally apart and started with only the outside skins. It took about 6 months of every Saturday and Sunday to get it ready for bodywork. I welded every seam on the bed continuous which was probably about 500% more than factory. I wore out so many grinding and cutting blades, it was difficult but somehow rewarding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0039 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1720973Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0044.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1720974Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0055 (1) (1).jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1720975Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0101 (1).jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1720976Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0462.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1720977
            sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1720978
              Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
              "It really IS about whether or not you destroy a Rare and Valuable excellent condition, Original, antique or a Smashed, Rusted Junkyard piece."

I disagree with your choice of words. I don't think I or Gene destroyed anything. If you take a really nice old classic and make it more driveable and safer, that seems to me to be a legitimate thing to do. Of course I would not put a Chevy engine in an old Ferrari that is worth a million dollars, but I am not aware of anything manufactured by Studebaker that I would not consider as a candidate for a restomod. If I want to upgrade or restomod a classic car, I will buy the best example I can afford as a starting point.

I paid $6000 for my 48 Champion, but I can recall at the time seeing a couple of cars close to museum quality for $15-20, 000. If I had it to do over, I would probably buy one of those. An extra year of my life is worth more than that to me.
              This is what I started with and believe it or not I had 40k in it before I got it out to California. That's more than most of these guys want for totally restored cars. You just have to be able to discern what is practical and what you are really striving to achieve. Mine had the LT1, transmission and 12 bolt installed along with the fatman front end. The previous owner had that much in it with his original purchase price, plus new engine, transmission, rear end and most people wouldn't recognize that. I'm with you,I would have started with a better body---whatever the cost!
              Last edited by StudebakerGene; 06-05-2018, 08:12 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

What an amazing build! I don't have any problem with customization - especially making it more drivable. That's what the resto-mod movement is all about - keeping the classic lines while bringing everything beneath the skin (brakes, suspension, drivetrain) up to date. You do good work! Enjoy it and I hope to see it on the road some day!

Comment

Gene,

Congratulations from a fellow "Visionary". I too am building the car of my dreams. That dream started in 1966 when I bought my first car a 1959 Silver Hawk. Re-creating it has been a labor of love and since George Barris passed away I decided to dedicate the build to his memory. I watched him build many a car as I was growing up and yes I pushed around and picked up a lot of masking paper and bondo dust in order to see the action up close. I will have to see your truck in person to be sure but I think that George would have loved your truck. While I am staying with the Studebaker engine everything else is about comfort, ride, handling and making my wife a fine tribute that she can drive and enjoy and most importantly trust on the road after I am gone. I am praying that God will let me finish it and I am planning to be in Tacoma and I would consider it an honor to park my "Creation" next to yours. Our vehicles are not just a car and a truck they are works of art and products of our dreams.

Once again I say a hearty thank you for staying the course and following your dream. You have done the coupe express proud.
                  Dan

Comment

Great CE! Congrats on getting it finished. The color is very close to my CE and I did double takes every time I looked at it from the rear. I have to admit now that i have it done and running and driving I might one day pull the diesel and put in an LS.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I have known Gene for about 3-4 years as he lives in North Carolina when he is not working construction here in the Bay area, when he got the CE he knew I had the shop and asked if he could do some minor work on it but need to leave it in the shop at some point when it needed to be off the road, he also knew that I was down seizing to get out of the shop but was moving slow at doing it so we went ahead and became shop mates for a while, it was2 years ago at South Bend May swap that I picked up the bed floor , fender, front nose piece and a few other items to bring back for his project and at that time I knew we were if for a longer haul but it was an easy choice to hang on to the shop longer and work at getting my things out of the shop, as Gene has stated he has put in many hours along the way. It was November of 17 when I got notice that they wanted me out or double my rent so guess what one I took? (time to get out) For the first time in about 25 years of renting the shop the landlord worked with me and gave me till June 1 with a rent increase of only $100.00 a month and so at the time the work really started to move ahead for every one Gene, myself and others with things in the shop. Every one had notice that things had to move ahead and Gene kicked it in gear and made a plan on making it work for him, while other wanted to hang around until the last minute and make my life a little uneasy. Once Anthony and I got back from South Bend on May 9th **** started to fly, and Anthony and I did our thing on clearing out every thing and Gene keep at his plan and the grind of getting it done by the 1st, others did finely get their things out and the building was empty on the 1st, Gene and his friend Moon did not even leave a speck of dust for me to deal with ( thanks Gene).
                      Last edited by candbstudebakers; 06-06-2018, 07:56 AM.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Quite N I C E ! Thanks for posting your pix. (btw, all of us here don't claim to know how everyone else should build their vehicles )

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                          Quite N I C E ! Thanks for posting your pix. (btw, all of us here don't claim to know how everyone else should build their vehicles )
                          Believe me when I say that I have the upmost respect for the members and their cars on this site. I try and steer away from political, religious, and just down right insulting other people's dreams. I don't care if you put a pumpkin on your car and paint it purple, If that's what you think looks good, then good for you. It takes a lot of different spokes to make a wheel go round, "some of them get bent every now and then!"
                          sigpic

Comment

That is simply gorgeous. Well done sir!
                            DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
                            1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

The most beautiful '30s truck, from any manufacturer. Stunning job.

Comment

I saw this in Bobs old shop--- way cool---and a Good Mod ...there is something for everyone out there
                                stock, survivor, restored, very slightly mod'd for modern roads, and total mod ...it all has appeal went done right
                                as this one is for total mod...

Comment

Working...
                                X