The Humble Checker Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Humble Checker Cab

I am amazed by this vehicle. Its styling changes are best described as glacial, and there has been barely any examples produced compared to other vehicles. However, it has been a fixture of NYC and other big cities seemingly since the time of Methuselah. In my mind, this car has the certain "I don't care about the latest thing" mentality of the classic Jeep and Beetle. Yet, for some reason, I don't see any sort of following for these things in the general public. Why is that? More importantly, what sort of stories would you like the share regarding this mobile anachronism?

Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 06-02-2018, 06:40 PM.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

I wouldn't refer to Checker as "Humble". I even owned stock in the company.

Remember that the vast majority were for taxi and livery use. This results in them being used up, resulting in not many still around.

The design was good for the application. Have you gotten in and out of the rear seat and rode in one? - I have.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For many years Checker and DeSoto were popular vehicles for use as taxis especially in large cities. The father of a friend of mine worked at the Checker plant. It was rare, but I saw a few used for personal transportation. One sedan had a vinyl covered roof and and an oval window back of the rear door. Most had a Chevy six-cylinder engine and were very dependable.
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The last Checker made was in 1982: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...5-1982-Checker

NYC has an age limit on taxicabs; which is something like five or eight years before it has to be retired out of service. Therefore, a functioning Checker for regular taxi use in NYC hasn't been in operation for at least a couple of decades.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
          The father of a friend of mine worked at the Checker plant. It was rare, but I saw a few used for personal transportation. One sedan had a vinyl covered roof and and an oval window back of the rear door. Most had a Chevy six-cylinder engine and were very dependable.
          Here is a 'civilian' Checker with a vinyl roof, but without the opera window: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ecker-Marathon

Craig

Comment

I suppose Checker automobiles are viewed in the same way as old school buses. Most of them are yellow and they are great at transporting people, but most people do not see any beauty in them (from a collector stand-point).

I recall back in the early 1980's, there being a bright-red Checker automobile (in excellent condition) parked near the local grocery store (perhaps it belonged to an employee of the store). I sometimes wonder what became of that car, and where in the world did that person buy the car (and why?). I cant imagine there having been any Checker dealerships in Minnesota.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

At Checker Motor Cars we have a passion for cars, not only CHECKERS, but all cars. We are fanatic about automobile history and that drives our passion to restore history and art. Our continued passion gives the customer an experience that is completely enjoyable. Our cars and services are a reflection of

Comment

I rode in them many times as a kid in the days before NYC imposed the age limit (once I got to be 15 or 16, I was expected to take the subway). They were spacious, spartan, and usually in pretty bad shape with plenty of rattles, clunks, and bangs from the suspension system. Always used to ask the driver how many miles it had -- the answer was usually in the 200K or 300K range. Was too dumb to ask how many times the Continental flathead or Chevy 6 had already been rebuilt. The DeSoto Skyview cabs had a similar reputation.

As to why they're not big collector favorites -- they were always technologically obsolete (except during the 1930s), stodgy-looking, and only came in LWB sedans (later wagons, too). And as Gary said, they were usually worn out and thrown away. Even after they started selling directly to the public, nearly all were used as cabs.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I saw one go through a demolition derby in the 70s. It was a shame to see it smashed up and thrown away, but the thing was a total tank as far as derby cars go. I don't remember if it won the derby, or broke down before the end, but the body sure was solid.
                  Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

My memories of them in big cities was they had an interesting undercurrent of odors.

Bob

Comment

IN the mid sixties I worked with a guy who drove a Checker he had bought new.
                      His theory was, I think, that if it was tough enough for Taxi use, it would last forever in civilian use.

It was heavy and seriously underpowered by a flathead 6 cyl Continental. which had barely enough steam to keep up with interstate traffic. It ate tires, and a few winters of New England ice and salt made it rust almost as fast as my Corvair. What it did have was a huge interior, tall roof and large doors, perfect for a taxi.

Comment

I have a happy memory of test driving a Checker Marathon station wagon -- I think sometime in the late sixties or early seventies. The five kids were young and we needed a big wagon. The one we drove was a huge tank with plenty of room and it had a Chevy V-8 and automatic transmission. It stepped right along but we ended up buying a Chevy wagon instead because the Checker was priced higher that the Chevy. The Checker Company has an interesting history and the cars used a number of different out-sourced engines such as a MoPar 318 V-8, Continental six up to 1964, a Chevy straight six and later a V-6, and the Chevy 350 cid V-8.

Last edited by 56GH; 06-03-2018, 07:48 AM. Reason: More info
                        Bill L.
                        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

They often used them in Mission :Impossible to impersonate european cars.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                            They often used them in Mission :Impossible to impersonate european cars.
                            Dechromed like that, they did look something like a cross between a GAZ-21 and a ‘56 Ford, from the right angle

When I was in high school in the 70s, there was a fellow in town who had a Marathon sedan in bright metallic green with black vinyl roof. He loved that car; I never once saw it unwashed or unwashed. Would love to know what happened to it.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I almost bought one back in the late sixties...I noticed a rust hole in the door jamb on the rear I could see the ground through. I decided that was too much rust. It had a continental flathead six. Their chassis was pretty much a chevy 1500 pickup I believe.

There probably is a checker club.

One of the few marques which is more rare than a Studebaker!

Made in Kalamazoo where my parents live(d). I drove by the checker test track many many times. It was a quad oval like Indy but one lane wide and maybe a half mile at most. The corners were banked a little too. I think it has been leveled off now.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X