No announcement yet.

The Humble Checker Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more Checker story and I promise I'll quit: in 1971 I spotted another Checker wagon at a used car dealership about 15 miles away. My brother and I went to look at it. It was medium/dark blue with a Chevy V-8. We were quite interested in testing it because we always wondered how it would be to drive a V-8 Checker, as ours had the Continental 6. The salesman agreed to a test drive. My brother was driving. We pulled out of the dealership and my brother didn't even get into high gear before the hood flew up and back all the way over the windshield. He got the car stopped and we forced the hood down enough to creep back to the dealership, where we found the hood would need a lot of skilled bodyman help to ever be usable again. We thanked the guy for his time and promptly left the premises.
    Last edited by Blue 15G; 06-20-2018, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Some years ago a Checker owner contacted me for some Studebaker parts common to Checkers. My memory is pretty weak, but as I remember, he was looking for the '47 to '53 brake self-adjusters which I did have.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Re: Checkers. Here is what I've seen with my own eyes: Very early 1970's Checker Cab, that used a Chevy steering column and 307 Chevy engine, which was apparently OEM. Also, mid-60;s Checker for sale at a swap meet a few years back. It was rough and rusty & minus the engine; but the automatic transmission was still there. Guess what it was? A Chevy bellhousing bolt-pattern Ford-O-matic or FMX, about like what you'd find in a 65-66 Studebaker, I guess. But, yeah---the interior was roomy & they even made station wagons.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
          Guess what it was? A Chevy bellhousing bolt-pattern Ford-O-matic or FMX, about like what you'd find in a 65-66 Studebaker, I guess.
          You are correct: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...WENT-TO-CANADA

Craig

Comment

I can't believe this thread has gone this long without a mention of their wheelcovers: same stamping as Studebaker 59-up, except for the center logo. Had a great photo of one, but it's on my old computer.

(Can be seen in post #26.)
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X