No announcement yet.

Tire suggestions for a Hawk GT 62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a 235-55-17 on a 7.5" wide wheel with 5.25" of backspace. It's the same diameter as a 205-75-15 but 1.18" wider.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 GT with Mustang wheels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1720953

A 15" tire with a 65 aspect ratio would need to be at least a 235 in order for the diameter to even be near stock and keep the speedo somewhere near close to correct.
    Last edited by bensherb; 06-04-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

If you are staying with 15", I have successfully run P235/70r15's (sadly no whitewalls) on my '63 GT for over 35 years and they fit a 7" wide wheel perfectly and I think suit the car. I always feel that GT's in particular should have a decent size of sidewall to look and handle right. <O.D= 28.0" Section Width= 9.4 on a 7" rim width Load Index= 1896 lbs>. If you were to run a 65 series the only large popular size is 215/65r15, the original optional Camaro/Firebird fitment which is only 26" tall and your load index drops to 1510 lbs. To each their own.
      Bill

Comment

I have been successful in using Ford Ranger 15" standard steel wheels and the Ford lug nuts.
        I prefer the 215 75R 15 Cooper or Hankook whitewall tire over the 205's due to the diameter being closer to the original tires. Tires are reasonably priced, look good and handle well. Cooper's are even made in the good ole USA.
        The other advantage for me is that when the tires get a few years on the Studebaker, I can put wheels and all onto my trusty 2001 Ford Ranger and run some rubber off the tires before they go bad by age.
        A set of used Ranger wheels can usually be found for less then $100. Just don't get the optional spoke wheels because the wheel lip won't accept a wheel disc.
        That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.......................
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You can keep your Studebaker rims and get a set of these:

And if you figure you will replace five radial tires every six years, the price of these type of tires is probably cheaper. Tire shown was bought in 2000, has no weathering cracks, and the whitewall is still in really good shape...
          Last edited by 62champ; 06-05-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]72931[/ATTACH] My '62 GT, Goodyear 215-70-15 ($50 ea. at Wal-Mart) on '93-'97 Ford Crown Victoria 15"x6.5" wheels ($8 ea. at wrecking yard) with 1" Port-o-wall white walls ($20 all 4 on ebay).

The stock factory wheels are not recomended for use with radial tires. They tend to crack. Use a later wheel designed for radial tires.
            Are you using Ford or original Studebaker lug nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by MontrealHawkGT62 View Post
              Are you using Ford or original Studebaker lug nuts?
              FORD .....kept them when I took the wheels off the Crown Vic at the wrecker.

We've got the same wheels and tires ,(no white wall) on our '53 coupe too, they fit perfect on both. Look better on the GT though, must be the white wall.
              Last edited by bensherb; 06-05-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

anybody consider a 225 R60 15---- you get a lil extra width ( 8.9) yet you see a little more of the tire or thin white wall ??

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  You can keep your Studebaker rims and get a set of these:

And if you figure you will replace five radial tires every six years, the price of these type of tires is probably cheaper. Tire shown was bought in 2000, has no weathering cracks, and the whitewall is still in really good shape...
                  Are your tires radial or bias ply?
                  What size and how much did they cost?
                  They would look good on my 50 L/C

Comment

Originally posted by MontrealHawkGT62 View Post
                    Upon closer inspection of the tires of my recently purchased Hawk GT 62, I found out that I will need 4 new tires because those that are on the car suffer from dry rot and are bad.

The owners manual states that tire size is 6.7 X 15. A quick search online for conversion gave 205/75R15 and 215/70R15. I do not know what size I should buy.

Also, there is a choice between bias or radial.

Then I d like to put white wall tires. Then there are inserts available.

I don't want these tires to cost me an arm and a leg. What are you using for tires? Any suggestions?
                    OK, there are a lot of opinions about size. If you really want to match the original 6.70x15 bias ply tires that came on Hawks, Avantis, V-8 convertibles and Wagonaires, 215x75x15 radials are virtually the same diameter as the original tires. 205x75x15 radials were a good match for cars that came with 6.40 and 6.50x15 bias ply tires. In the attached picture the tires from the right are 195x15 radial (obsolete size), 205x75x15 radial, 215x75x15 radial and 6.70x15 bias ply.

When I had to replace the 215x75x15 Firestone whitewall radials on my '64 Wagonaire due to a severely damaged tire I couldn't match the Firestones so I called my Cooper dealer and asked for a set of 215x75x15 whitewalls I had them the next morning. Thinking they could also be new, but old stock I looked at the tire date codes and they were only three months old. I have 215x75x15 Hankook whitewalls on my Avanti, but apparently they don't make whitewalls in that size anymore. With the correct tire size and a 3.07 rear end with the correct speedometer pinion, my odometer is only 1/10th mile off in a 10-mile stretch as measured by Interstate mile markers.
                    Attached Files
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

MontrealHawkGT62,
                      I should have added to my post#17, I also have my GT equipped with 3:73 Posi so I need a tall sidewall to keep the revs sane on the highway. If I recall correctly it puts me approximately at 3000 RPM just over 60 MPH which is no problem as my non-stock motor willingly revs to 7000 RPM.
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                        Are your tires radial or bias ply?
                        What size and how much did they cost?
                        They would look good on my 50 L/C
                        They are BF Goodrich bias ply, 6.70x15s. I think they run @ $175 for Universal's version of same, but white wall is 2 1/4 - little thin for a Land Cruiser - https://www.universaltire.com/670-15...whitewall.html.

The LC had a larger tire though, I am thinking it might be a 7.10 (or even larger?). Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=62champ;
                          The LC had a larger tire though, I am thinking it might be a 7.10 (or even larger?). Good luck.[/QUOTE]

The 50 Commander and Land Cruiser had 7.60 on it. The 51 and later V-8 cars had 7.10.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I'm already starting to think I should have spent more money for some nice wide whitewall tires.
                            I guess I can save up for wide whites and run these radials on my 1999 Olds.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              I'm already starting to think I should have spent more money for some nice wide whitewall tires.
                              I guess I can save up for wide whites and run these radials on my 1999 Olds.
                              As Roy pointed out, you would want the 7.60X15 - again Universal has a period correct tire for $188... I have gotten rid of all my radial tires on Studebakers and really enjoy the look and ride. New OEM tires for my 2009 F150 run $195 each on Tirerack and need to be replaced when they turn 6 years old - not when they were mounted and hit the road... Good luck.

Comment

Alot of R75's suggested here, trying to copy stock----thats fine but .....to go with a Little shorter tire, try sizes with R65 and R70
                                you can get same widths---- just a ever so slightly short tire---- vs , the Tall look

Comment

Working...
                                X