Tire suggestions for a Hawk GT 62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tire suggestions for a Hawk GT 62

Upon closer inspection of the tires of my recently purchased Hawk GT 62, I found out that I will need 4 new tires because those that are on the car suffer from dry rot and are bad.

The owners manual states that tire size is 6.7 X 15. A quick search online for conversion gave 205/75R15 and 215/70R15. I do not know what size I should buy.

Also, there is a choice between bias or radial.

Then I d like to put white wall tires. Then there are inserts available.

I don't want these tires to cost me an arm and a leg. What are you using for tires? Any suggestions?

I had mounted 215/70/R15 Dunlop blackwalls on my 62 GT, just because that was what I found on sale at the time I needed them. At the same time, I got some Ford Crown Vic steel wheels to put them on. No clearance issues.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

For what its worth, I'm very happy with my 185/15 Retro Classic. Moreover, they are not expensive. Dunno if you can find them in Canada, though.
      Nice week-end to all.
      sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161229_180845.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1720917 My '62 GT, Goodyear 215-70-15 ($50 ea. at Wal-Mart) on '93-'97 Ford Crown Victoria 15"x6.5" wheels ($8 ea. at wrecking yard) with 1" Port-o-wall white walls ($20 all 4 on ebay).

The stock factory wheels are not recomended for use with radial tires. They tend to crack. Use a later wheel designed for radial tires.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]72931[/ATTACH] My '62 GT, Goodyear 215-70-15 ($50 ea. at Wal-Mart) on '93-'97 Ford Crown Victoria 15"x6.5" wheels ($8 ea. at wrecking yard) with 1" Port-o-wall white walls ($20 all 4 on ebay).

The stock factory wheels are not recomended for use with radial tires. They tend to crack. Use a later wheel designed for radial tires.

You got a good deal on your portawalls. How long ago you bought them? The crown Victoria rims were a good deal. I bought 4 used one at the scrapyard for 20$ CDN a piece. You mentioned the size as being 15 inchesby 6.5. I reckon that 6.5 inches is the width of the rim, right? Bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5 ? Most probably they will be black and I wonder if I should not paint them white. Car is off white and I will order white portawalls. Overkill?

Comment

Ford Wimbledon White is a pretty close match for the off white the Stude wheels were painted in 62.

Paul
            I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
            1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

They should be 215/75 R15. That's the closest to the original tire's overall diameter and as skinny as can be bought. 205/75 R15 ore OK, too.

The original tires were 85 aspect ratio, so the closest is 75 aspect ratio. I would not pout 70 aspect ratio tires on an old car.

All of these tires are too wide for the original 4.5" wide wheels. 6" wheels are preferred.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Keep in mind also, even though 1962 was the Last Year for Wide Whitewall Tires, the 1963 to 1966 Design Narrow White Walls look GREAT and do NOT have to be bought from a "Classic Tire Co." for BIG BUCKS!

Cooper Trendsetter Tires:
                P205/75R15 97S 440 A B STD WSW 5 - 7 5.5 8 26.97 5.12 20 1598 10.5
                P215/75R15 100S 440 A B STD WSW 5.5 - 7 6 8.4 27.56 5.39 22 1742 10.5

You REALLY do NOT want to have Portawalls grinding and flopping on your sidewalls every time the Radial Tire sidewall flexes as it flattens on the bottom and becomes round everywhere else! They WILL Kill the tires!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 06-03-2018, 03:13 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by MontrealHawkGT62 View Post
                  You got a good deal on your portawalls. How long ago you bought them? The crown Victoria rims were a good deal. I bought 4 used one at the scrapyard for 20$ CDN a piece. You mentioned the size as being 15 inchesby 6.5. I reckon that 6.5 inches is the width of the rim, right? Bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5 ? Most probably they will be black and I wonder if I should not paint them white. Car is off white and I will order white portawalls. Overkill?
                  Yes 6.5" wide, standard Ford /chrysler/ Studebaker and many others bolt pattern 5 on 4.5" (114.3mm).
                  My wheels were black, I stripped and painted them with an "Ivory" paint from Ace Hardware. I can't remember if it was their store brand or Dupont Krylon. I tries several different paints this matched the original wheels perfect. Ford Wimbleton White is too yellow.

I've never had any problems with Port-o-walls on any tire either bias or radial and have had them on a few cars. given the option I'd rather have actual white wall tires but they are pricey. The tires Rich mentioned arent too bad but they only com with a .75" white wall. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...BoCDHIQAvD_BwE

The 215-70-15 on the 6.5" wid wheels fit perfect under the GT like they are what it should have come from the factory with.

Comment

I just bought off of the Walmart website, four P205/70R-15 Mastercraft tires. The photo on the website shows a white letter tire, but thats not what arrived. Mine are all black. I just needed a cheap tire to get the ole girl on the road. I am very happy with them so far. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercra...70R15/47406030 Side Note*** I am running a late 70's Ford aluminum wheel.
                    Jim Kaufman
                    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                      Yes 6.5" wide, standard Ford /chrysler/ Studebaker and many others bolt pattern 5 on 4.5" (114.3mm).
                      My wheels were black, I stripped and painted them with an "Ivory" paint from Ace Hardware. I can't remember if it was their store brand or Dupont Krylon. I tries several different paints this matched the original wheels perfect. Ford Wimbleton White is too yellow.

I've never had any problems with Port-o-walls on any tire either bias or radial and have had them on a few cars. given the option I'd rather have actual white wall tires but they are pricey. The tires Rich mentioned arent too bad but they only com with a .75" white wall. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...BoCDHIQAvD_BwE

The 215-70-15 on the 6.5" wid wheels fit perfect under the GT like they are what it should have come from the factory with.
                      Would 205/75/15 tires fit on these crown victoria rims?

Comment

Originally posted by MontrealHawkGT62 View Post
                        Would 205/75/15 tires fit on these crown victoria rims?
                        Of course they would, they are made for P205X75R15, P215X70R15 etc. modern RADIAL Tires.

However, 205's will fit better if you do not get crazy with the width.
                        Use EARLIER Ford 5 1/2, or 6 Inch Wheels not too Late; 7 Inch ones!

Rear Wheel Drive Chrysler Wheels also work fine, both with the Larger 13/16" Wrench Size Lug Nuts not 3/4" Stude. though.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-04-2018, 10:46 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

anyone consider a P2xx 65R15

Comment

A Rare/Oddball Profile like that would make it Hard to find proper Whitewalls and smaller sizes like P205, plus fewer Brand and Tire Model choices, not to mention failed tire replacement possibilities in a few years.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X