Pertronix conversion with OEM Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Pertronix conversion with OEM Tach

Does anyone know: Can you install a Pertronix electronic ignition with the OEM Tach like on a 58 Packard Hawk without changing the tach?
    don

If your PH has the wafer type tach drive, that fits between the cap and distributor body, as 56-57 does, then the answer is yes. No problem with the Pertronix. Also, pretty sure there is no problem with the later tachs and Pertronix, i.e. the GT Hawks'. I converted a 62 and a 63GT to Pertronix, and do not recall any problems with either car's tach. So no matter which type you have, I'd still say no problem with the tach & Pertronix combo.

Comment

Do you know what Pertronix model number should be used? Thanks for the help.
      don

Comment

Phone to Phillip HARRIS "Fairborn Studebaker"
        GT Hawk 62 V8
        Lark 62 hardtop skytop 6 cyl
        Silver Hawk 57 Hardtop 6 cyl
        Transtar 57 V8
        Starliner 54 V8

Comment

Originally posted by leaurent View Post
          Phone to Phillip HARRIS "Fairborn Studebaker"
          Just ordered one from him along with the high voltage coil.
          Thanks.
          don

Comment

Originally posted by GTHawk View Post
            Just ordered one from him along with the high voltage coil.
            Thanks.
            Installed it along with the 40.000 volt coil. Seems to run well. How about the experience some of you have had with this set up. Good,bad, its life, how long?? I'm considering another one for my GT Hawk but as I understand it the installation is more complicated.
            don

Comment

If you still have the Original SINGLE Point Prestolite Distributor, you will need to purchase the Igniter III Pertronix Module with the Rev Limiter.
              But unless you are drag racing it should not be any harder to install, just leave it at the Factory "Street" Setting. You will also need another 40,000 Volt Coil.

I have Sold and used quite a few Pertronixs units with no problems.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                If you still have the Original SINGLE Point Prestolite Distributor, you will need to purchase the Igniter III Pertronix Module with the Rev Limiter.
                But unless you are drag racing it should not be any harder to install, just leave it at the Factory "Street" Setting. You will also need another 40,000 Volt Coil.

I have Sold and used quite a few Pertronixs units with no problems.
                The GT Hawk has an autolite distributor number 4108. It seems to be burning points. Can not find the resistor so we are now using a coil that doesn't require a resistor to see is that helps. On this distributor does the lower plate also have to be changed for pertronix ignition?
                don

Comment

If you can not find the resistor , look for a purple wire that was used instead.
                  It is resistance wire.
                  The purpose was to reduce the voltage to the coil once the engine was running.
                  This reduced the wear and pitting of the points.
                  When you engage the starter solenoid there is a set of contacts in the solenoid that put full voltage on the coil when the solenoid is engaged for easier starting of the car.
                  Once the solenoid is disengaged , only reduced voltage goes to the coil via the purple resistance wire from the ignition switch.
                  This system was problematic because at times the resistance wire would become so hot that it melted the insulation.
                  The nichrome resistance wire had crimped terminals with did not do well with Nichrome wire.
                  I soldered the Nichrome resistance wires on my car or replaced it with regular copper wire and used a resistor like the later systems.

Comment

Working...
                  X