Battery Core/Deposit Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Core/Deposit Costs

Seems like it used to be that parts stores had a fixed $5 or so recycling/core deposit charge when you bought a new battery that would be returned when you brought back your old battery.

That cost went up to around $8 a couple of years back. It didn't matter what size the battery was, same charge.

Earlier this spring, I had to replace the battery in my pickup. The deposit was $18. I was really surprised at the time.

Then, last week I had to get a pair of large 6V batteries (group 4) for the tractor at the farm. Last fall when I'd last used it, I almost didn't get it started the last time to get it back in the shed so knew it needed new batteries.

I had the info on the batteries, but tractor is 3-4hrs from here so I got the new ones locally and had to pay the deposit. It was $27 EACH so $54 in deposit. I was more than surprised, sort of shocked actually.

Now I am wondering if the deposits now go by the battery size/weight instead??

With $54 at stake, need to make sure my receipt doesn't get misplaced until I get back to the parts store with the old ones!

I was at the farm this weekend and did the swap and the tractor started right up so now I have the 2 old ones in the truck to turn in. My back is still stiff from Sunday when I did the work. Those batteries are about 50lbs each and the battery box on the tractor is about shoulder height from the ground. Me sitting at a desk all day means I don't have the upper body strength I once did 30+ years ago when I'd stack hay all day, haha.

Jeff in ND

I needed to replace the batteries (2) in my F-350 a few months back. Deposit at O'Really's was $20 each. I didn't waste much time getting the old ones back to them.

As a side note; As part of the shutdown of a facility that our company is handling, I went to a large recycler to dispose of the batteries out of an obsolete computer battery back up system. I was surprised to find that the batteries were 6 volt deep cycle wired in series to give a 48 volt output. Even still in the metal housing, they were worth $.25 per pound. Instead of having to pay to dispose of them, I left with a check for $118.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Years ago I went to replace the 3EE battery for my Avanti the place demanded I turn in 2 batteries as the core for the one new battery because of it's size.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The last automobile battery I bought came from O'Rielly's. I didn't have a 'normal' battery to trade in. They told me they didn't care what battery I traded in as long as it wasn't a triple A, double A, C, D, or a small 9 volt. I gave them a small 12 volt electric scooter battery.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Anyone know if the owner is given any core value for Prius or other Hybrid batteries? I know the composition isn't the same as a regular lead-acid battery, but there has to be some salvage value. Or, does it cost more to "recycle" them than they are worth?

Comment

RE: core value on hybrid car batteries....

I did a little research on this and found a number of articles discussing it. This one from 2016 had a list of new battery prices for various Toyota models and also the core value of the old battery:

"Sure, but what do the batteries cost to replace?" is a question frequently posed to hybrid and electric vehicle owners. It's true that batteries aren't cheap, and at some point down the line they'll have expended their useful life and require replacement. But what do these packs actually cost, if and when that replacement date comes? We've previously...

I believe there is a market for usable used batteries from wrecks too. The "core" value seems to be around $1400, expect working used to be more but less than new.

I do know that these batteries are routinely refurbished/rebuilt. Usually, some of the cells go bad, leading to the capacity of the battery to get low. Rebuilders take the pack apart and reassemble it with all tested working (but used) cells. I would expect such a refurbished battery would not last as long as a new one, but for folks on a budget with older car....

Jeff in ND

Comment

Who would have thunk it, That old pile of batteries in the back of my barn is now a valuable investment. Huzzah, Huzzah - Bob

Comment

I think the core charge is a function of the scrap market which is notoriously volatile.
                Two weeks ago the Group 1 battery on my President went mammeries skyward on the Tri-Spokes Chapter Spring tour. The battery was an unknown age, having come with the car when I bought it in September of 2016, so I wasn't too surprised. What was surprising was I walked into a parts store just a few blocks from the motel the tour was staying at, asked for a Group 1 battery expecting a 'deer in the headlights' expression from the counterperson. She walked to the rear of the store and came back with a Group 1 battery. Core was $18 which was credited when I returned the old battery. Sometimes you get lucky.

Comment

A number of years back my brother invested in Silver at $35 an ounce. Today it is in the $15 range. A number of years back I started storing old batteries for the (hopeful) day when I got all my old cars going. There was an $8 core charge at the time I started to collect the batteries. As stated they are at least $18 now. I have more doubled my investment (55%)* while my (not so) savvy brother has lost more than half (67%). I guess I've done quite well in not so precious metals. LOL

* I actually never paid anything for these batteries, I just acquired them from ??? I have about six of them and about $100 worth now of what others saw as trash.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Lead prices have increased dramatically the past few years. . There's about 20 lbs of lead in a typical car battery, so the value of the lead in a scrap battery has gone from about $6 to about $25

Last edited by jnormanh; 05-30-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

That old pile of batteries in the back of my barn is now a valuable investment.
                      Right. In I think 2015?? I gathered up about 16 old batteries on the farm and took them into a scrap buyer place. My recollection now is I got something like $98 for the pile. Around 1/3 of them were lawn mower batteries so not a lot of weight in those or it would have been more "lucrative".

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                      X