No announcement yet.

Still using a ton of oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong PCV valve Aftermarket replacements are reversed in flow than the Studebaker correct ones. That can contribute to oil consumption. Especially if rings are not seated properly yet. If the oil rings work fine, but the compression rings not seated yet, you will get high crankcase pressure, and not always see smoke.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Galactica5 View Post
      Do you have any blowby coming out of the road draft tube?
      My 289 tried pumping oil out that tube with the engine the way it was before I rebuilt it.
      It was caused by the previous owner putting STD rings in a 0.30 over bore.
      It is a 1964 - no road draft tube.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Wrong PCV valve Aftermarket replacements are reversed in flow than the Studebaker correct ones. That can contribute to oil consumption. Especially if rings are not seated properly yet. If the oil rings work fine, but the compression rings not seated yet, you will get high crankcase pressure, and not always see smoke.
        PCV is correct double checked that when looking for oil use causes before.

Comment

I'll put my money on worn guides and "Umbrella seals". Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            I'll put my money on worn guides and "Umbrella seals". Luck Doofus
            Maybe worn guides, but there's nothing wrong with umbrella seals. I have used them exclusively in 259/289/352 motors, and have gotten over 5000 miles per quart, and most always stay above 2000 miles per quart. This includes the two GTs and one 56J currently in the stable.

Worn guides would be indicated by blue smoke on acceleration, and ring problems would be indicated by blue smoke on deceleration. Unless I missed something, the OP really has not provided much, as far as symptoms he is experiencing, other than the oil is mysteriously disappearing, seemingly without a trace of smoke, leaks, blowby, etc..

As for 100 miles per quart, it would be hard to screw up even a shade tree overhaul that badly.

PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANT: If the OP has only driven the car 124 miles since the overhaul, nothing he said counts, since the motor has not even began to wear itself in. Hope he comes back after another 1000 miles, with another report.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 05-28-2018, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Best indicator for worn valve guides/seals, is smoke on startup.
              If I had your problem, I would use a quality NON DETERGENT motor oil and seat rings like this ---
              Go to an area that has a long hill and down hill.
              Put transmission in highest gear, if standard shift, that will work on hill, when top of hill is reached, coast down in lower gear.
              Just don't overheat engine!
              After several times, drain ND oil and install your regular oil.

This is the procedure I used on every rebuild.

Comment

just a long shot.... are you positive the dip stick is A-OK ?? Just a thought... sometimes its the craziest thing...

Comment

First off I miss guessed the mileage I had on engine. Checked this afternoon and discovered I have only driven 544 miles including 124 miles each way to car show. When I checked oil at car show it was just a little above the add a quart mark, when I put oil in before leaving I added just a little too much. So before leaving car show I poured in part of a quart, apparently little over 3/4 of the quart in but was in a hurry so I didn't check the dipstick. Now this afternoon I checked the oil and it's a little over the full mark. So apparently it did not burn an excessive amount on the trip back. I will have to watch and see what happens now. There was a pretty good amount of uphill/downhill driving back and fourth to car show. Possibly coasting downhill could have helped seat the rings. Wont know for sure until I do some more driving. Next car show in 2 weeks will be about 85 miles or so round trip.

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                    First off I miss guessed the mileage I had on engine. Checked this afternoon and discovered I have only driven 544 miles including 124 miles each way to car show. When I checked oil at car show it was just a little above the add a quart mark, when I put oil in before leaving I added just a little too much. So before leaving car show I poured in part of a quart, apparently little over 3/4 of the quart in but was in a hurry so I didn't check the dipstick. Now this afternoon I checked the oil and it's a little over the full mark. So apparently it did not burn an excessive amount on the trip back. I will have to watch and see what happens now. There was a pretty good amount of uphill/downhill driving back and fourth to car show. Possibly coasting downhill could have helped seat the rings. Wont know for sure until I do some more driving. Next car show in 2 weeks will be about 85 miles or so round trip.
                    If I followed that correctly, you don't know now whether it's using a significant amount of oil or not.

At 100 miles per quart, it's either blowing clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust or leaving big puddles where it's parked.

If it does neither, it's not using a quart per hundred miles. Check your true oil usage again.

As far as seating rings, if they don't seat in the first hundred miles, they probably never will. It's possible to crack a ring during installation. If so, then a compression test will find the cylinder with the broken ring.

Comment

Well not sure about oil usage on the way home, but it was using a lot of oil before. I have had to put oil in it 3 or 4 times since engine was rebuilt each time about 100 or little more miles. No clouds of smoke, no leaking.

Comment

62's had a crankcase vent but it could have a pcv valve. I have seen those things act strange. If you have one, temporarally disconnect it and plug vac hole in carb base. If oil burning stops get a new one and be sure it is not backwards. If it is leaking you'll have a larger than normal puddle on the garage floor, and you can trace it. (pan gasket-they always need to be re-tightened rear main seal [they don't work as well when installed backwards] drain plug [no one ever replaces the drain plug seal] That oil must be going somewhere!!!! Does inside of tail pipe feel oily? If pressure is OK and temp is OK I would be inclined to drive it a while and see what happens. 17 yrs ago went to west Texas to pick up car. On the way home truck started smoking-a lot. Pulled into WalMart and got a case of oil. Used most of it on the trip home. It just as abrptly stopped using oil and never burned any oil after that. Total mystery to me.

Comment

Well not sure about oil usage on the way home, but it was using a lot of oil before. I have had to put oil in it 3 or 4 times since engine was rebuilt each time about 100 or little more miles. No clouds of smoke, no leaking.
                          You have, "had to put oil in it...". But amount is key; HOW MUCH oil, total, have you put into it since the rebuild, 544 miles ago?

Comment

I had oil in 2 gallon container, so I used a plastic paint cup for measuring. It was a little over 28oz, so I put in 6 plus 15oz stp for the zddp content. I had to add a little more oil to get right to full mark. So I have since used up the rest of the 2 gal. container plus the part of a quart in dumped in before leaving car show. So I guess it didn't use as much as I thought, still quite a bit seems like to me. It's hard to get it right on the full mark without going a little over.

Comment

if the PCV is non-functioning, you might see condensation on the dipstick.

Comment

I had oil in 2 gallon container, so I used a plastic paint cup for measuring. It was a little over 28oz, so I put in 6 plus 15oz stp for the zddp content. I had to add a little more oil to get right to full mark. So I have since used up the rest of the 2 gal. container plus the part of a quart in dumped in before leaving car show. So I guess it didn't use as much as I thought, still quite a bit seems like to me. It's hard to get it right on the full mark without going a little over.
                                Wait, you put a can of STP in a newly rebuilt engine??????
                                Last edited by JoeHall; 05-30-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X