'67 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Biggest visual clue for it being a 1968 model would be the federally mandated side marker lights.

Craig
    I thought of that, but that does not seem to be the case for all 1968 Avantis. I do not know if it did not apply to those that were built prior to Jan. 1, 1968 or if Avanti had an exemption (at least for some cars).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      This one was finished and left the factory on May 1, '67.

It didn't have far to travel (from factory to selling dealer).
      I am surprised that TT was deleted for a South Bend car.
      I guess that tilt and PW were considered to be standard equipment that early in production.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        It didn't have far to travel (from factory to selling dealer).
        I am surprised that TT was deleted for a South Bend car.
        I guess that tilt and PW were considered to be standard equipment that early in production.
        for mine the only thing deleted was the R.Q. emblems ; tilt steering and P.W. are optional and TT differential too , 4 way SOS flasher is standard
        One thing is strange for your car , the order was made for Newman and altman...maybe a personal car...

Comment

I don't know if it spent its early life in South Bend or not. My thoughts were that the car was ordered, and the purchaser took delivery of it at the factory.

It's been steaming hot and raining for the last several days, but I decided I didn't care today and drove the car home anyway. The wipers work, even if the factory did install them backwards. I've been trying out different rods/jets/springs in the new Edelbrock, and right now I think I've got it pretty close, at least judging by the seat of my pants. It's running like a bat out of hell and it's really a fun car to drive. I need to figure out how to mount a camera and make a video.

I'm not a big fan of stickers, but this one seemed fitting.

Last edited by mbstude; 07-18-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by X-she View Post
            for mine the only thing deleted was the R.Q. emblems ; tilt steering and P.W. are optional and TT differential too , 4 way SOS flasher is standard
            One thing is strange for your car , the order was made for Newman and altman...maybe a personal car...
            Perhaps you do not realize that Newman & Altman was the Studebaker dealership near the factory in South Bend, IN.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Perhaps you do not realize that Newman & Altman was the Studebaker dealership near the factory in South Bend, IN.
              Yes , you are right , i think your car was for the show room.

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                let you focus on that elusive C-cab you really want.
                Bill knows me so well. Anyone have any ideas on how to install a pickup bed in an Avanti? The trunk space is a bit small.

Comment

Bill knows me so well. Anyone have any ideas on how to install a pickup bed in an Avanti? The trunk space is a bit small.
                  You could always fabricate something like Hurwich made for Studebaker coupes. Richard Q. probably has plans for them. You could even use fiberglass instead of steel.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Maybe some of the boy's down under have pictures of a Avanti Ute.

Comment

I've decided to name the Avanti. "Impulse".

'Bring a Trailer' has accepted the car for their auction site, and it should be online within the next couple of weeks. It's simply too nice of a car for me to enjoy in the way I want. The interior is too nice to let the dog ride in, the paint is nearly flawless and I worry about chips, there's no way I'm going to use it to run to the grocery store, etc etc.. If I drive and use the car to the extent that I want, its condition is going to go downhill. It simply needs to go to someone that wants a show quality Avanti and can maintain the car at the level that it is.

Note; the speed limit in this area is 90 MPH. And I have three hands.

Last edited by mbstude; 07-05-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Shame on you Matt!
                        Dang, that was fun. I wish I could have been with you.
                        Better get some gas.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Shame on you Matt!
                          Dang, that was fun. I wish I could have been with you.
                          Better get some gas.
                          Come on down. We'll burn the tires up while I still own it.

Those reproduction fuel sending units read a little low.

Comment

[QUOTE=mbstude;1117109]I've decided to name the Avanti. "Impulse".

'Bring a Trailer' has accepted the car for their auction site, and it should be online within the next couple of weeks. It's simply too nice of a car for me to enjoy in the way I want. The interior is too nice to let the dog ride in, the paint is nearly flawless and I worry about chips, there's no way I'm going to use it to run to the grocery store, etc etc.. If I drive and use the car to the extent that I want, its condition is going to go downhill. It simply needs to go to someone that wants a show quality Avanti and can maintain the car at the level that it is. QUOTE]

Great running car, good luck with the sale. Bob

Comment

Note; the speed limit in this area is 90 MPH.
                              Sorry 'bout this, Matt, but Ol' Smokey Bear caught you on his picture taker, good buddy!:

... And I have three hands.
                              One on the camera, one on the wheel, where's the 3rd?:

What's THIS??:

We're gonna hafta have a little road side visit!

Enjoyed the ride, good luck on the sale! (I'm amazed you haven't fixed that tach yet.)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Studedude; 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Always good to hear from ya, Dave! I thought you'd retired again.. Looks like I've been caught.

I've got a new AutoMeter tach that I hid inside of an Avanti tach housing with a repro dial. Just haven't had time to put it in the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X