Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48

Thread: '67 Avanti

  1. #1
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728

    '67 Avanti

    1967, 327 with Powershift. The car had an extensive body-off restoration about 15 years ago.. And then it sat untouched in a garage under a car cover, aside from an annual start up. I've spent the last 4-5 weeks trying to work out the bugs, mostly things that have gone south from lack of use. I've put about 100 miles on it so far and still have a few things to tend to.. But it's on the road.















    Last edited by mbstude; 06-08-2018 at 08:05 PM.

  2. #2
    President Member 62champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kentucky Bluegrass
    Posts
    2,967
    So after 100 miles, you have come to the conclusion performance is not much different than a 3/4 ton firetruck... Amazing how many things can go wrong with a vehicle from sitting as opposed to being driven on regular occasions and everything 'used'. Have fun!

  3. #3
    Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    482
    Blog Entries
    1
    mbstude, do you more about the history of this lovely '67 Avanti II? Who was the first owner? What options originally came with the car? etc.

    More importantly, though, do you prefer the Avanti II or the original Studebaker Avanti? For whichever version, why?

    Inquiring minds want to know!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

    1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    So after 100 miles, you have come to the conclusion performance is not much different than a 3/4 ton firetruck...
    Well, when the rust from the gas tank made its way into the carb, it was about as fast as my old 2R11.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    mbstude, do you more about the history of this lovely '67 Avanti II? Who was the first owner? What options originally came with the car? etc.

    More importantly, though, do you prefer the Avanti II or the original Studebaker Avanti? For whichever version, why?
    I didn't get any history with the car, other than the late owner's name. He purchased the car in the early 2000's and had it restored.. I don't know anything prior to that. I did order the Build Sheet for it, and the car's current configuration matches what's listed, aside from the "Scampi Orange" interior (thank goodness that was changed).

    This '67 drives almost exactly the same as the 63's I've driven.. Though it should, since the '67 is 100% Studebaker, aside from the engine. The 327 has more get-up-and-go than a 289, and the nose of the body is higher on the frame, but other than that it's the same car.

    The '63-69 Avantis are all on the same playing field to me. I don't have a preference within those years, but I do like the "uniqueness" of the early II's. At a Stude or Avanti meet, you'll see a row of '63 and '64's. You almost never see a pre-'70 II. And I never have warmed up to the later Avantis.

  5. #5
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    British Columbia & Arizona
    Posts
    2,167
    Matthew,
    Very nice indeed. It is almost identical to my '70 except for the "caution" label.
    And I never have warmed up to the later Avantis.
    I also own a 1983, do you consider this later as I personally love the interior on this one what with burgundy leather everything including the Recaros? I'll bet it sounds sweet with only the small glasspacks on it. Get some Konis on it and it will handle incredibly well.
    Enjoy!
    Bill

  6. #6
    President Member Noxnabaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    790
    Just have to say that I LOVE Studebaker- (in my mind it still is) -underside-photo's!!!
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 06-01-2018 at 01:40 PM.


    Josephine
    -55
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

  7. #7
    President Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lafayette in
    Posts
    4,351
    That is a nice looking Avanti!

    I've never been a big Avanti lover, preferring the pure lines of the 53 Loewy coupe, but the AVantis are growing on me. I particularly like the looks of this one,....the color combination makes it look kindof Italian.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

  8. #8
    President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citrus Springs Florida
    Posts
    916
    I still think you made a big mistake getting this car Matt! Once again, I'll be more than happy to relieve you of all it's problems and let you focus on that elusive C-cab you really want. Just let me know when to come get it. Bill

  9. #9
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    I still think you made a big mistake getting this car Matt! Once again, I'll be more than happy to relieve you of all it's problems and let you focus on that elusive C-cab you really want. Just let me know when to come get it. Bill
    The fuel system was the biggest issue. The Holley carb needed some work (never messed with one before) and the fuel tank was full of rust and a failed liner. So it now has a new Edelbrock carb and a new fuel tank. I've also removed the 1/2 inch spacers that were under the front coil springs in an effort to get some of the "rake" back, converted the backup lights into extra brake lights, and installed Hella H4 headlights and a relay system. One late night drive of not being able to see anything was one time too many.

    Tomorrow I'll be dropping the transmission pan to remove the valve body and see what's stuck, since the rebuilt Powershift doesn't shift by itself. And I still need to make an effort to get the a.c. system functional, and install the new flanged axles.

    I've also almost finished redoing a tachometer for the car.. I found a junk Avanti tach laying around the shop and have stuffed a modern tach's "guts" inside of it. Have it all done, just waiting for a new repro faceplate to show up so I can finish assembling it. Then I'll have a tach that works with the MSD distributor.

    As I said before, I'd feel bad unloading a junker like this onto someone else. I'll just have to suffer through it.
    Last edited by mbstude; 06-01-2018 at 08:35 PM.

  10. #10
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC, .
    Posts
    639
    What a beautiful " junker"

  11. #11
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    British Columbia & Arizona
    Posts
    2,167
    Matthew,
    Try to find a taxi or 6 cylinder valve body so you get first gear start. She sure looks good. You are spurring me on to finish mine.
    Bill

  12. #12
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Posts
    1,605
    My 67 also has an Edelbrock on it and an electric fuel pump. Definitely more reliable.
    Milt

    1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1950 Commander Starlight
    1988 Avanti Convertible

    Member of SDC since 1973

  13. #13
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Matthew,
    Try to find a taxi or 6 cylinder valve body so you get first gear start. She sure looks good. You are spurring me on to finish mine.
    Bill
    I don't think that trick works in a Powershift, different shift quadrant and whatnot. I did get the valve body apart, cleaned, and back in the car today, and it now starts in second and shifts as it should. I've already decided that if it has any other issues in the future, I'll put a GM automatic in the car.

    While I had the car on the lift, running, and in Drive to check the transmission fluid.. I happened to notice a bent rear axle shaft. I'll be installing those new flanged axles before it hits the pavement again.

  14. #14
    President Member rockinhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hazlehurst, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    3,869
    What I did to put the "rake" back into your Grandma's car was to put taller tires on the back.we are running 205/70 on the front and 215/75 on the rear.
    Neil Thornton

  15. #15
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    All prepped for some flanged axle fun this weekend.

    Last edited by mbstude; 06-08-2018 at 08:09 PM.

  16. #16
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Another item checked off the list. Now I won't worry about a wheel coming off when I shove my right foot through the floor.

    I ended up flushing the brake system (fronts too), and installed new drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Should be good to go.

    Last edited by mbstude; 06-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.

  17. #17
    President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    3,288
    Slow down Matt. You're having too much fun.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk


  18. #18
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Slow down Matt. You're having too much fun.
    Just trying to keep up with you. It ain't easy.

    I'll be slowing down soon enough. I drove the car home tonight and ran a few errands in it. I'm quickly realizing that an Avanti with inop A.C. is not a fun car to drive in the Florida heat. And it's not summer yet.

  19. #19
    President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citrus Springs Florida
    Posts
    916
    Well Matt, you're getting that junker into much better condition and now I couldn't afford to take it off your hands. Question though, about the rear drums. did they come with the centers opened up or did you have to cut them yourself? When I did my brothers Avanti years ago I had to cut that hole larger to fit on the axles. Putting those flanged axles in is one of the best things you can do , much more peace of mind. Get that A/C fixed, it's getting too hot to be without it, but have fun either way. Bill

  20. #20
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    Well Matt, you're getting that junker into much better condition and now I couldn't afford to take it off your hands. Question though, about the rear drums. did they come with the centers opened up or did you have to cut them yourself? When I did my brothers Avanti years ago I had to cut that hole larger to fit on the axles. Putting those flanged axles in is one of the best things you can do , much more peace of mind. Get that A/C fixed, it's getting too hot to be without it, but have fun either way. Bill
    Those are the repro drums that come from S.I. I don’t know if the center hole is the same on an original drum or not, I didn’t think to measure and compare.
    Last edited by mbstude; 07-16-2018 at 05:03 PM.

  21. #21
    Speedster Member avanti-hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    207
    What year did the Altman Avanti II's switch to GM transmissions?

  22. #22
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    flesselles, , France.
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by avanti-hawk View Post
    What year did the Altman Avanti II's switch to GM transmissions?
    Nice 67 , i've the same one , what is your serial number.
    thanks
    David

  23. #23
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by X-she View Post
    Nice 67 , i've the same one , what is your serial number.
    thanks
    David
    Matt has posted the S/N somewhere here, but not in this thread. I will let him post it again. What is your S/N? There were only 41 (or possibly 45) Avantis built for 1967.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  24. #24
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,518
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Matt has posted the S/N somewhere here, but not in this thread. I will let him post it again. What is your S/N? There were only 41 (or possibly 45) Avantis built for 1967.
    You're memory must be short. You asked him that here in Post #40: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=1967

    And he immediately replied in Post #41.

    Craig

  25. #25
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    You're memory must be short. You asked him that here in Post #40: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=1967

    And he immediately replied in Post #41.

    Craig
    About two months ago and I had no reason to remember the S/N.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  26. #26
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    I don’t remember serial numbers either.

    This car is number 0135.

  27. #27
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    flesselles, , France.
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    I don’t remember serial numbers either.

    This car is number 0135.
    Mine is 0215 , she was made 11/20/67....

  28. #28
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by X-she View Post
    Mine is 0215 , she was made 11/20/67....
    Strange, my records show that S/N as a 1968 model. Of course it may have been titled based on the calendar year that it was built.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  29. #29
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,518
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Strange, my records show that S/N as a 1968 model. Of course it may have been titled based on the calendar year that it was built.
    Biggest visual clue for it being a 1968 model would be the federally mandated side marker lights.

    Craig

  30. #30
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    This one was finished and left the factory on May 1, '67.


  31. #31
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Biggest visual clue for it being a 1968 model would be the federally mandated side marker lights.

    Craig
    I thought of that, but that does not seem to be the case for all 1968 Avantis. I do not know if it did not apply to those that were built prior to Jan. 1, 1968 or if Avanti had an exemption (at least for some cars).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  32. #32
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    This one was finished and left the factory on May 1, '67.

    It didn't have far to travel (from factory to selling dealer).
    I am surprised that TT was deleted for a South Bend car.
    I guess that tilt and PW were considered to be standard equipment that early in production.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  33. #33
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    flesselles, , France.
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    It didn't have far to travel (from factory to selling dealer).
    I am surprised that TT was deleted for a South Bend car.
    I guess that tilt and PW were considered to be standard equipment that early in production.
    for mine the only thing deleted was the R.Q. emblems ; tilt steering and P.W. are optional and TT differential too , 4 way SOS flasher is standard
    One thing is strange for your car , the order was made for Newman and altman...maybe a personal car...

  34. #34
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    I don't know if it spent its early life in South Bend or not. My thoughts were that the car was ordered, and the purchaser took delivery of it at the factory.

    It's been steaming hot and raining for the last several days, but I decided I didn't care today and drove the car home anyway. The wipers work, even if the factory did install them backwards. I've been trying out different rods/jets/springs in the new Edelbrock, and right now I think I've got it pretty close, at least judging by the seat of my pants. It's running like a bat out of hell and it's really a fun car to drive. I need to figure out how to mount a camera and make a video.

    I'm not a big fan of stickers, but this one seemed fitting.

    Last edited by mbstude; 07-18-2018 at 03:50 PM.

  35. #35
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by X-she View Post
    for mine the only thing deleted was the R.Q. emblems ; tilt steering and P.W. are optional and TT differential too , 4 way SOS flasher is standard
    One thing is strange for your car , the order was made for Newman and altman...maybe a personal car...
    Perhaps you do not realize that Newman & Altman was the Studebaker dealership near the factory in South Bend, IN.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  36. #36
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    flesselles, , France.
    Posts
    12

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Perhaps you do not realize that Newman & Altman was the Studebaker dealership near the factory in South Bend, IN.
    Yes , you are right , i think your car was for the show room.

  37. #37
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    let you focus on that elusive C-cab you really want.
    Bill knows me so well. Anyone have any ideas on how to install a pickup bed in an Avanti? The trunk space is a bit small.

  38. #38
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    Bill knows me so well. Anyone have any ideas on how to install a pickup bed in an Avanti? The trunk space is a bit small.
    You could always fabricate something like Hurwich made for Studebaker coupes. Richard Q. probably has plans for them. You could even use fiberglass instead of steel.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  39. #39
    President Member 55coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citrus Heights CA, , .
    Posts
    655
    Maybe some of the boy's down under have pictures of a Avanti Ute.

  40. #40
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,728
    I've decided to name the Avanti. "Impulse".



    'Bring a Trailer' has accepted the car for their auction site, and it should be online within the next couple of weeks. It's simply too nice of a car for me to enjoy in the way I want. The interior is too nice to let the dog ride in, the paint is nearly flawless and I worry about chips, there's no way I'm going to use it to run to the grocery store, etc etc.. If I drive and use the car to the extent that I want, its condition is going to go downhill. It simply needs to go to someone that wants a show quality Avanti and can maintain the car at the level that it is.





    Note; the speed limit in this area is 90 MPH. And I have three hands.

    Last edited by mbstude; 07-05-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •