'67 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '67 Avanti

1967, 327 with Powershift. The car had an extensive body-off restoration about 15 years ago.. And then it sat untouched in a garage under a car cover, aside from an annual start up. I've spent the last 4-5 weeks trying to work out the bugs, mostly things that have gone south from lack of use. I've put about 100 miles on it so far and still have a few things to tend to.. But it's on the road.

Last edited by mbstude; 06-08-2018, 05:05 PM.

So after 100 miles, you have come to the conclusion performance is not much different than a 3/4 ton firetruck... Amazing how many things can go wrong with a vehicle from sitting as opposed to being driven on regular occasions and everything 'used'. Have fun!

Comment

mbstude, do you more about the history of this lovely '67 Avanti II? Who was the first owner? What options originally came with the car? etc.

More importantly, though, do you prefer the Avanti II or the original Studebaker Avanti? For whichever version, why?

Inquiring minds want to know!
      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        So after 100 miles, you have come to the conclusion performance is not much different than a 3/4 ton firetruck...
        Well, when the rust from the gas tank made its way into the carb, it was about as fast as my old 2R11.

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
        mbstude, do you more about the history of this lovely '67 Avanti II? Who was the first owner? What options originally came with the car? etc.

More importantly, though, do you prefer the Avanti II or the original Studebaker Avanti? For whichever version, why?
        I didn't get any history with the car, other than the late owner's name. He purchased the car in the early 2000's and had it restored.. I don't know anything prior to that. I did order the Build Sheet for it, and the car's current configuration matches what's listed, aside from the "Scampi Orange" interior (thank goodness that was changed).

This '67 drives almost exactly the same as the 63's I've driven.. Though it should, since the '67 is 100% Studebaker, aside from the engine. The 327 has more get-up-and-go than a 289, and the nose of the body is higher on the frame, but other than that it's the same car.

The '63-69 Avantis are all on the same playing field to me. I don't have a preference within those years, but I do like the "uniqueness" of the early II's. At a Stude or Avanti meet, you'll see a row of '63 and '64's. You almost never see a pre-'70 II. And I never have warmed up to the later Avantis.

Comment

Matthew,
          Very nice indeed. It is almost identical to my '70 except for the "caution" label.
          And I never have warmed up to the later Avantis.
          I also own a 1983, do you consider this later as I personally love the interior on this one what with burgundy leather everything including the Recaros? I'll bet it sounds sweet with only the small glasspacks on it. Get some Konis on it and it will handle incredibly well.
          Enjoy!
          Bill

Comment

Just have to say that I LOVE Studebaker- (in my mind it still is) -underside-photo's!!!
            Last edited by Noxnabaker; 06-01-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

That is a nice looking Avanti!

I've never been a big Avanti lover, preferring the pure lines of the 53 Loewy coupe, but the AVantis are growing on me. I particularly like the looks of this one,....the color combination makes it look kindof Italian.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I still think you made a big mistake getting this car Matt! Once again, I'll be more than happy to relieve you of all it's problems and let you focus on that elusive C-cab you really want. Just let me know when to come get it. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                  I still think you made a big mistake getting this car Matt! Once again, I'll be more than happy to relieve you of all it's problems and let you focus on that elusive C-cab you really want. Just let me know when to come get it. Bill
                  The fuel system was the biggest issue. The Holley carb needed some work (never messed with one before) and the fuel tank was full of rust and a failed liner. So it now has a new Edelbrock carb and a new fuel tank. I've also removed the 1/2 inch spacers that were under the front coil springs in an effort to get some of the "rake" back, converted the backup lights into extra brake lights, and installed Hella H4 headlights and a relay system. One late night drive of not being able to see anything was one time too many.

Tomorrow I'll be dropping the transmission pan to remove the valve body and see what's stuck, since the rebuilt Powershift doesn't shift by itself. And I still need to make an effort to get the a.c. system functional, and install the new flanged axles.

I've also almost finished redoing a tachometer for the car.. I found a junk Avanti tach laying around the shop and have stuffed a modern tach's "guts" inside of it. Have it all done, just waiting for a new repro faceplate to show up so I can finish assembling it. Then I'll have a tach that works with the MSD distributor.

As I said before, I'd feel bad unloading a junker like this onto someone else. I'll just have to suffer through it.
                  Last edited by mbstude; 06-01-2018, 05:35 PM.

Comment

What a beautiful " junker"

Comment

Matthew,
                      Try to find a taxi or 6 cylinder valve body so you get first gear start. She sure looks good. You are spurring me on to finish mine.
                      Bill

Comment

My 67 also has an Edelbrock on it and an electric fuel pump. Definitely more reliable.
                        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                        1961 Hawk 4-speed
                        1967 Avanti
                        1961 Lark 2 door
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Matthew,
                          Try to find a taxi or 6 cylinder valve body so you get first gear start. She sure looks good. You are spurring me on to finish mine.
                          Bill
                          I don't think that trick works in a Powershift, different shift quadrant and whatnot. I did get the valve body apart, cleaned, and back in the car today, and it now starts in second and shifts as it should. I've already decided that if it has any other issues in the future, I'll put a GM automatic in the car.

While I had the car on the lift, running, and in Drive to check the transmission fluid.. I happened to notice a bent rear axle shaft. I'll be installing those new flanged axles before it hits the pavement again.

Comment

What I did to put the "rake" back into your Grandma's car was to put taller tires on the back.we are running 205/70 on the front and 215/75 on the rear.
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

All prepped for some flanged axle fun this weekend.

Last edited by mbstude; 06-08-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X