Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Shows and Kids.... Motivating the Future...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Shows and Kids.... Motivating the Future...

As many of you know, and some are tired of... I post a lot of pic's..
    Last week was a highlight for my car show penchant this year...
    Went to a beautiful open show in Savannah sponsored by the local Mustang club.
    Great show. Perfect day. First time out for the Yellow POS in over a year.... (shameful, I know)..
    Took an old school friend with me (he's a Shelby Mustang guy, so it fit well)..

Anyways, he and his wife were here for the week. There was also a local monthly show last Saturday in Statesboro (GA).
    No big deal.. 30 cars or so. But we went anyways...
    I am somewhat disheartened by some parents about how they DON'T control their kid's at shows.
    They let the munchkins run wild. But I digress.....
    At the Statesboro show there was a very polite kid looking at the cars with his parents.
    He is a special needs kid, and I am a softy for these kids, having a close friend with a great son who has Down's Dyndrome.
    I asked his mother if he would like to sit in the Stude. She was aghast that someone would let her boy near a hot rod..
    He was so polite and good mannered.
    Made my day...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Thanks for posting Jeff, you posting this...made my day too!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Very cool and you made his day with a simple act of kindness.
      sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

Excellent post, Jeff; thanks. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, some of the kids run wild at shows.... Bicycles and skateboards don't mix well with rods and restos.

The good kids are GREAT. Reward that good behavior, Jeff. Ya did well.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Like most recreational activities, there is always a certain risk involved. However, it would be good if someone could come up with a small educational pamphlet, or card that could help assist and educate folks in a nonconfrontational way. The old "LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH" sign gets the message across, but it is kinda harsh, and some of us don't mind a little touching with proper care, respect, and decorum. Some folks stop by car exhibits who have no clue about the cars or proper behavior around them.

I was once at a car show where one of the club member's wife showed up, kids in tow, with several bottles of bubble blowing soap. That stuff is bad enough on modern paints, but can absolutely destroy the finish of an original paint survivor! I'm sure she had no bad intent with the bubbles, but some guidance and education could have avoided the situation. Even a smear of melted cotton candy, on a hot day, can do terrible damage to paint and upholstery.

I have taken pictures similar to the one posted by Jeff. Not just kids, but folks of all ages. There is a risk, but the smiles are a great reward.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Is most heartening when others appreciate when a car guy opens the door not only the door to the car but opening that child’s mind. Good on ya! Yellow is just a happy color all around.

I still have a fond memory of a local car show where a guy said go ahead sit in it! Mind you I was in my late 30’s. And the Vehicle was a Crosley truck! Tight squeeze but a good memory.
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

That's priceless what You did, woulda been real neat if Mom let You Drive the young Man around the lot.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Tyke "escaping" from my Wagonaire at a local county Cruise-In. I had invited his folks to place him there to look around:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5398.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1720821

BP​
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Passing it forward . I'm sure that young man will remember the experience and the act of kindness. These are some of the best things we can do with our old car hobby.

Comment

I, too, invite kids to sit in my car. Puts as big a smile on my face as theirs!

Last edited by Studedude; 06-09-2018, 01:23 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        Like most recreational activities, there is always a certain risk involved. However, it would be good if someone could come up with a small educational pamphlet, or card that could help assist and educate folks in a nonconfrontational way. The old "LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH" sign gets the message across, but it is kinda harsh, and some of us don't mind a little touching with proper care, respect, and decorum. Some folks stop by car exhibits who have no clue about the cars or proper behavior around them.

I was once at a car show where one of the club member's wife showed up, kids in tow, with several bottles of bubble blowing soap. That stuff is bad enough on modern paints, but can absolutely destroy the finish of an original paint survivor! I'm sure she had no bad intent with the bubbles, but some guidance and education could have avoided the situation. Even a smear of melted cotton candy, on a hot day, can do terrible damage to paint and upholstery.

I have taken pictures similar to the one posted by Jeff. Not just kids, but folks of all ages. There is a risk, but the smiles are a great reward.
                        Some years ago, a friend in our local Hot Rod Club,attended a summer event at a local park, bringing his '32 Ford 4 door sedan. He parked the car and went off to look at the other cars in attendance. When he returned to his car, he found a family of four mother, father and two small children sitting in his car eating ice cream cones!
                        He questioned them as to WHY they were in his car, and they replied that they thought the cars were there for them to enjoy.
                        Never underestimate what non car people might do.
                        JLB

Comment

Great post, while there may be a downside to allowing folks to set in the cars, I have yet to find one. My cars are drivers and anyone that shows interest is welcome to set in or touch them. The price of wiping off the fingerprints is more than overwhelmed by the thanks and smiles.

Good for you. Bob

Comment

I went to a car show a couple of years ago and left my Hawk to go to the mens room. When I got back there was a kid yanking on my vent door, opening and shutting it from the outside over and over again. His mother was standing right there saying "Stop that, don't pull on that" but she didn't back it up with any kind of action to stop him! I had no idea how to react, I just ended up asking her to please take her child away from my car. Which she did. I was horrified, she was not.
                            sigpic
                            1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Great post Jeff. Your simple action made everybody's day, including those of us here on our Forum. If our cars can't be sat in then what good are they? You did a very memorable act for him, something he'll probably treasure for a long time.
                              Good on ya!
                              Bill
                              PS: Nice truck too.

Comment

Working...
                              X