B-25 Bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-25 Bomber

As I mentioned before we have an aircraft engine shop near here and they do a lot of vintage aircraft engines , There has been a B-25 flying around here for a few days , Damn is this thing loud, But it is nice to see on this week end , Oh I am not complaining about it being loud , Its a nice loud , Ed

The sound of a large radial engine to me has one of the best sounds I've ever heard. The B25 has 2 Wright R2600 engines on it with open stacks so they are loud especially when they're close to the ground. I volunteer at the Yanks Air Museum on the Chino, California airport where many of the war birds live and fly, so I get to see and hear them often. Bud

Comment

Ahh, the B-25 Mitchell, a very sleek looking bomber that actually looks like it WANTS to fly. The proportions are absolutely perfect. I know that doesn't really matter in a war, but the B-25 was also very capable, as evidenced by the Doolittle Raid.
      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

It is a lovely plane!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I had the good fortune(and $$$) to ride in a superbly restored B-25 last July and I was stunned at how the plane exuded total confidence that you do practically anything with it. As Jake states
          Ahh, the B-25 Mitchell, a very sleek looking bomber that actually looks like it WANTS to fly.
          If you ever get a chance to ride in one, DO IT!
          Cheers, Bill
          Sorry I can't post a pic here.

Comment

In 1971 I sold an airplane and was delivering it from Seattle to New Orleans. I stopped at Tallmantz Aviation on Orange County airport and they had about two dozen B-25s for sale, claimed to be in "ferryable condition". They were the airplanes used in the mass takeoff from the beach scene in the movie Catch 22, and I recall you could fly one away for $3500 at the time. Of course you would probably need another $100,000 to restore it.
            Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
            See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Hearing one of those Wrights on a B-25 at idle is enough to give me a real thrill.. I would love to hear one of those with the early individual exhaust stacks installed.. For that matter any WW 2 fighter, bomber recipe engine..

Comment

A B-25 (known as 'Grumpy) can be seen in this video that also includes many many other awesome birds~

This was supposed to start around 2:42 where the B-25 makes a fast loud pass, but it didn't.

Most of these are based up near here at Paine Field.
                If this stuff floats your boat- it's worth the trip.
                Maybe drop in if you're around for the International Meet in Tacoma.
                Last edited by StudeDave57; 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM.
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Though not a B-25, this particular PBY has engines from one.
                  She's a 'Super Cat' that was once used to fight fires.

Sadly she's no longer in one piece. She took on water during the filming of a movie several years ago, and broke apart due to improper rigging during the recovery operation.
                  R.I.P. Tanker 85.

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

We featured "Grumpy" at our "Warbirds Over the West" show a few years ago at Mc Nary Field in Salem, Oregon. The show is a fundraiser to help restore the B-17 Lacey Lady" back to flying condition. I didn't have the $450 handy to get a ride on Grumpy but maybe next time... BTW, the Lacey Lady has all four original Studebaker built Wright 1820 radial motors with less than 50 total hours on them!!! I hope I live long enough to hear them run again! This year we will be having a fly in fundraiser August 3&4, featuring some of the warbirds from the Ericson collection and there will also be a swap meet geared toward WWII and other military collectables. Our museum and restoration hangar is open on Thursdays and Saturdays. http://www.b17alliance.com for more info.

Comment

My dad flew B-25s out of Ford Island in Hawaii during WWII. He was on the team that was outfitting them with extra fuel tanks trying to extend their range all the way to Japan. He was not able to talk about it until just a few years ago as the project was top secret. I don't believe they ever succeeded but they did pass along valuable information to the Army Air-corp. I ran across an Aviation Incident Report that involved one of their planes that crashed trying to land after a bladder tank ruptured and spilled all its fuel inside the fuselage. My dad was on that plane. Everyone survived but when I asked dad about it he said it was pretty scary hitting the runway, sparks flying and fuel spilling out of every orifice of the plane. It never caught on fire. Yikes! They were sturdy airplanes.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Luke Army Air Corps Field on Ford Island was transferred to the USN in 1939 after Hickam Field opened.

I know the USN had PBY-5A's stationed there (PatWing2) on 7 December 1941. Todya, the hangers still have bullet holes in them and the Pacific Aviation Museum is located there.

Comment

Working...
                        X