Creeping wheel covers/hubcaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Creeping wheel covers/hubcaps

New wheels 15"x5" (Speedway Motors, Smoothies) with 670R-15 tires. The wheel covers are creeping (see Pictures). They don't seem to be coming off the wheel but moving radially in the rim, not the angle of the valve stems. This is with just 20 miles.

Solution tips or hints are requested.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_142510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1757913 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_142536.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1757914

You can try bending your fastening Clips tighter on the back.

Most Aftermarket Wheels do not have the same depth of the Rim portion and shape to properly fit the Factory Wheel Covers, I do not know if that is the case with the Wheel Vintiques Wheels though.

Some people have switched to Chromed Steel Valve Stems, but I do not believe that fixes anything, the Covers just hit the stems and make noise and dent the covers.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had the same problem on one wheel of my 63 GT. I discovered that I had forgot to use the little adaptator that goes on the stem on the valve. You should check this first.
      Nice day to all.
      sigpic

Comment

The wheel covers on my Avanti were doing just that for years and I always feared that the rubber valve stem would be cut in half....I put on nickle plated steel stems.......no more wheel "walking" and....have never made noise or bent the cover.
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You can try bending your fastening Clips tighter on the back.

Most Aftermarket Wheels do not have the same depth of the Rim portion and shape to properly fit the Factory Wheel Covers, I do not know if that is the case with the Wheel Vintiques Wheels though.

Some people have switched to Chromed Steel Valve Stems, but I do not believe that fixes anything, the Covers just hit the stems and make noise and dent the covers.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The covers walk around the Wheel Vintiques wheels on the rear of my Commander. I have also had covers come off a couple of times. The last solution I tried was dimpling the rim with a punch, but I don't know if that is a long term fix.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            The wheel covers on my Avanti were doing just that for years and I always feared that the rubber valve stem would be cut in half....I put on nickle plated steel stems.......no more wheel "walking" and....have never made noise or bent the cover.
            I too replaced my valve stems on my '55 President with the steel stems and have not had a problem since. The covers rotate against the steel stems and stop. No noise or damage.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The original wheels that came with my car had two little bumps, one on each side of the valve stem. they are down on the surface of the wheel, that the wheel cover would clinch on to. I assume they were put there to stop rotation of the wheel cover. I think I remember reading on an older post, about people adding these bumps to aftermarket wheels, but they would obviously have to have the tires removed, to do the welding.
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                The original wheels that came with my car had two little bumps, one on each side of the valve stem. they are down on the surface of the wheel, that the wheel cover would clinch on to. I assume they were put there to stop rotation of the wheel cover. I think I remember reading on an older post, about people adding these bumps to aftermarket wheels, but they would obviously have to have the tires removed, to do the welding.
                I don't know exactly when those bumps first appeared, and you are correct as to their purpose. Some 1964 Canadian wheels came without them, so in Service Bulletin C-1964-1 Studebaker offered an add-on to solve the problem of walking wheel covers. Part number 1564199 was a flattened U shaped piece of metal that was to be epoxied to the wheel next to the valve stem. I have some on several wheels, and they work very well, even on radials. Maybe some of the vendors would still have some in stock -- I got mine from N&A years ago.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Regardless of the naysayers, who obviously have never tried them, I have been using steel valve stems on Studes for decades, to stop hubcap walk. They work great, no bends, no noise, etc., etc.. They simply stop hubcap walk in its tracks, forever. Period. Before that, tried several other remedies others offered, but nothing works as simply and permanently as steel valve stems.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    Regardless of the naysayers, who obviously have never tried them, I have been using steel valve stems on Studes for decades, to stop hubcap walk. They work great, no bends, no noise, etc., etc.. They simply stop hubcap walk in its tracks, forever. Period. Before that, tried several other remedies others offered, but nothing works as simply and permanently as steel valve stems.
                    I agree with you, Joe. I've used them before on a 56J and my current 62 GT. They work great! There are previous posts on this subject too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1720805
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My wire wheel covers don't walk. Both my '53 with original wheels, and my '55 with Ranger wheels have lost wheel covers for me. The '55 now has ranger caps on them. The '53, Wire Wheel covers.

Comment

I have been so pleased with the metal valve stems that I use them on all my vehicles, Studebaker or not. I feel they hold up better especially in hot weather conditions where the rubber stems fail in time. A testament to that fact I notice when going to a tire shop where before, if rubber stems were present, they would try their darndest to sell new ones but when the metal ones are already on, they remain silent.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My 50 Land Cruiser has a separate hub cap and beauty ring. When I pry the beauty ring off, it pops the hub cap off. When I switch to new radial tires I was going to install new rubber stems, but I do like the metal stems, and will check them out. I wouldn't expect the beauty ring to walk with radial tires, but I'd sure hate to loose one if it did.

Comment

Going metal is a good idea. I had a rubber stem fail on me last year on the highway and i ruined a perfectly good tire. That was an expensive valve stem!
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I've always considered wheel cover rotation the result of wheel rim flexing. Upgrading to 15x6" rims will eliminate the cover rotation. The 15x5" rims are not sufficient for the weight of these vehicles whether bias ply or particularly radial tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X