Thread: I messed up big time

President Member

I messed up big time

Did you ever do something you regretted. Of course, we all have. I'm sitting here in a wheelchair with 2 broken ankles wondering "What was I thinking?". I do a good amount of painting so thought nothing of tackling a 3 storey stairwell alone. Big mistake. Instead of using a proper adjustable stair ladder I got out the 16 ft. extension ladder and went to town.
    Well, the feet slid out and down a flight of stairs I went with the paint covering the window and walls. So surgery is scheduled soon to clean up the shatteted bones.
    Service Master is cleaning up the other mess.
    Needless to say Won't do that again!

Speedster Member
    Damn - I hate that happened to you! We’re you alone?

MAN!...That sounds much worse than my two broken wrists after my horse panicked and threw me off. (17 years ago). My injuries were painful, but I still managed to work for three days before going to a doctor and discovering they were broken. For you...I'm pretty sure you knew right away you were in serious trouble. In my case, the word "broken" sounds better than your word "shattered."

Sorry to read of this, and prayers are being lifted up for you.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    OMG, Bob; 'so sorry to hear of this. All the best for the recovery, friend. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Golden Hawk Member
    All the best to you on your recovery. At least you get another chance. I knew three people that had similar accidents and died as a result of their injuries.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I cringed reading this....

Few years ago I was demo-ing the stairs in my house and had pulled all the nails and screws out of the treads and removed the risers. Treads were setting loose on the stringers. I went back upstairs on the loose treads and discovered that the stringer on one side had not been attached to anything (except the treads) and must have had old paint or something holding it to the wall so when I stepped on the 2nd from top step, the left end tread went down underfoot and right end flipped up and it all fell through and then I fell through with the center stringer jabbing me in the right side ribs on the way down until I ended up hanging feet dangling at my armpits (thanks for that at least, otherwise I would have fallen straight down and into the basement and crashed on the 2 treads that went down there and got REALLY hurt....).

I was laid up with bruised or cracked ribs for months (never went in and had it looked at).

Here is hoping you make a speedy recovery!

Jeff in ND

President Member
    Just discovered this post in wrong forum. Sorry guys. Can moderator delete?