'56 Clipper at Mecum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Clipper at Mecum

A 1956 Clipper was just on the block at the Mecum Auction in Indy. It was an excellent appearing sedan. Mecum called it a "Packard". It was "only" bid up to $6000. I guess that there is still not much of a market for these cars.
    Last edited by studegary; 05-20-2018, 03:20 PM. Reason: missing "
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    A 1956 Clipper was just on the block at the Mecum Auction in Indy. It was an excellent appearing sedan. Mecum called it a "Packard. It was "only" bid up to $6000. I guess that there is still not much of a market for these cars.
    I looked the car over pretty well at the auction Saturday, Gary. It was only a so-so car that has been off the road for some time. It would have needed money spent on it to again be roadworthy. How much you wouldn't know until you had inventoried it.

IMHO, $6,000 was good money for a 4-door, but the seller would have netted less than $5,000 after paying his entry fee and the 10% commission, had he sold accepted the $6,000 bid. Still, as you say, those are only worth so much....sadly. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I also saw a 58 Scotsman 2 door Wagon modified cross the block today. Very nice looking car. Was bid up to $20k I think, but did not sell. I think a modified car like that needs AC to be marketable.

Pat
      Last edited by Pat Dilling; 05-20-2018, 01:24 PM.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
        I also saw a 58 Scotsman 2 door Wagon modified cross the block today. Very nice looking car. Was bid up to $20k I think, but did not sell. I think a modified car like that needs AC to be marketable.

Pat
        I've seen that Scotsman at several auctions, Pat; it's been around. It was at Mecum last year (2017) as well as this year.

I again looked it over and it seems to be a nicely-done car. High quality paint and everything fits well.

Just a limited market for what is essentially a custom car, I guess. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, as you were at Mecum, did you get a chance to look at the Flamingo '61 convertible which crossed the block on Wednesday? It was bid to $19,000, i believe. Way, WAY out of my price range, but I saw it was at the Mecum Kansas City auction a month earlier, where it hit $20,000. Just curious what the car was actually like.
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
            Bob, as you were at Mecum, did you get a chance to look at the Flamingo '61 convertible which crossed the block on Wednesday? Just curious what the car was actually like.
            Sadly, Eric; I did not see that '61 at the sale, so I can't comment on it. It was there, of course, but with 2,000+ cars (really), it must've been under the one tent where I failed to get. I know, hard to believe.

I see where it ran back through on Sunday and bid to $19,000 with no sale then, either.

The entry and transportation fees must be piling up, so the seller may have to consider less money sooner or later. BP

Comment

I feel like there has been a small resurgence in Packards at Mecum over the past year or so. Look at these fine Packards: a Hawk, a '56 Caribbean, a '54 Caribbean, and a '37 1508 Twelve. All were sold at the Mecum auction in Kissimmee, FL. They are simply stunning!

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Working...
              X