Dennis Lambert Sr. - SASCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis Lambert Sr. - SASCO

Dennis Lambert Sr. - Former manager of Newman and Altman Standard Surplus and owner of SASCO passed away early this morning after an extended illness. Dennis was 73. Arrangements are pending - check the South Bend Tribune Obits for details. I went to high school with Dennis and we worked on our Studebakers together. I will miss him

As a former customer, I am saddened to hear of this. My condolences to his family and close friends.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Here's something I wrote up as a tribute to Dennis:

Dennis Lambert passed away at home on the evening of May 18, 2018 with his family at his side after a long illness. Dennis was the long-time manager of Newman and Altman, Inc, which in the 1970s and 80s was the largest seller of surplus Studebaker and Packard parts. Under Dennis’ leadership, N&A expanded beyond simply selling off surplus material and began reproducing a wide variety of rare and hard-to-find parts for Studebaker cars and trucks. In 1986, N&A purchased the remaining inventory of the former Studebaker factory parts depot from Avanti Parts Corp, greatly expanding their parts inventory.

Several years later, however, the city of South Bend embarked on the redevelopment of the old Studebaker plant area, and identified the N&A co-joined buildings for demolition. The city considered the parts to be almost worthless, and intended to scrap the entire inventory. In order to save the parts, Dennis established a new company, called Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp (SASCO), obtained financing to purchase the N&A inventory, and moved it across Sample Street into the old Studebaker Engineering building. This was both a major and a risky endeavor, and required a major investment of both time and money. What was more notable, however, was the fact that Dennis ignored his financial advisers and saved about 99% of the remaining parts, including many truckloads of heavy, low-demand, low-profit items. SASCO remained in business until the city redevelopment effort expanded across Sample Street and earmarked the engineering building for demolition, too; at that point SASCO’s inventory was sold and moved again to Studebaker International.

Dennis was well known to hundreds of Studebaker owners – not just as a supplier of parts, but as a provider of Studebaker wisdom, lore, and assistance, always given at no charge. Studebaker owners are blessed with a huge and unique inventory of NOS parts that would be the envy of Ford, GM, and MoPar owners (if they knew about it). Dennis Lambert is the single individual that made the biggest contribution to our good fortune. His knowledge and willingness to help out Studebaker people will be sorely missed.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Well said Skip. My condolences to Denise and family. RIP Dennis, you were always great to deal with.
        Bob
        Bob
        Welland Ontario
        60 Lark Convertible
        64 Daytona
        sigpic
        "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Comment

Skip, that was perfect. Even those who don't know his name and have Studebakers, benefit from his deep and wonderful involvement in saving so much history... not just parts.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Indeed, Skip; well said and spot-on.

Might you submit that writing, accompanied by one of Dick Quinn's photos, for a Turning Wheels item? It would certainly be appropriate and appreciated.

Again, thanks. Well-spoken. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Indeed, Skip; well said and spot-on.

Might you submit that writing, accompanied by one of Dick Quinn's photos, for a Turning Wheels item? It would certainly be appropriate and appreciated.

Again, thanks. Well-spoken. BP
                Will do, after I expand it a bit to include some personal/family details. And agree on using one of Dick's photos. Others may submit something, too -- so will leave it up to Ann to edit/consolidate.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip: If you don't mind, I am using your elegant words in the tribute I have assembled for Dennis in this years Remembrance Project.
                  T442163
                  Crisitel@oit.Rutgers.edu

Comment

Peter-
                    Sure. Would be honored. If you want a copy (in Word) of the revised/expanded version I wrote for inclusion in TW, lemme know. You can always delete the details about the funeral.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X