Dennis Lambert RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dennis Lambert

Remarkable!...as it is when you meet for the first time someone you had imagined as having “larger than life” status before you actually meet them. That was what the name Dennis Lambert signaled to me. It came from years of conversations overheard and engaged in with old time Studebaker members when discussing where to obtain parts needed, where to find parts wanted, and where to buy. It took over thirty years of SDC membership/participation for me to develop that impression of Dennis. Much of those years was before I discovered a personal computer and this forum.

Before that, it was mainly “word of mouth,” at meets, shows, or from Turning Wheels ads. It has now been over 9 years since my only face to face meeting with Dennis. “LARGER THAN LIFE?” Heck no!...not in the normal sense. But...That day I met a hard-working, haggard, very busy, sincere, hands-on, “what can I do for you?” kinda person. Until that day, he had never met me before but took the time to allow this hillbilly stranger (with a southern drawl) haggle with him over a few bucks on the price of a NOS 1948 Champion Radiator. It was closing time, late in a very long day of frantic clamoring, trying to please so many, and being pulled in so many directions. Even though he had keys ready to lock the door, he took the time for me.

Here’s the link to the story http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/ss_12.asp

REST IN PEACE? YOU BET!...After his career, and then to retire only to engage in battle with a long illness...PEACE TO YOU BROTHER DENNIS.

As long as any of our vehicles exists with parts he saved and supplied...his legacy will live on...now that’s LARGER THAN LIFE.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So sorry to hear of Dennis’s passing. Rest In Peace brother.
      I will always fondly remember him helping me find a complete green interior for my 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire.
      What a job!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        Agree with Joe and Bob. More than any other single person, Dennis was responsible for the huge and unique supply of NOS part that Stude people are blessed with. Dennis was also a good friend to many of us.
        Dennis Lambert was truly a remarkable Studebaker icon. If you haven't done so already, please read Skip Lackie's post about Dennis in the Studebaker Passings heading. I don't think anyone can write a tribute any better.

I was introduced to Dennis in 1977 soon after acquiring my first Studebaker collector car. I'll never forget Skip Lackie telling me that just being in the presence of Dennis was tantamount to Studebaker occupational therapy. Over the next 32 years there were countless occasions when I tapped Dennis for help, not only personally, but for support for the Studebaker National Museum.

I will miss you Dennis. You left us much too soon. Rest in peace old friend.

Stu Chapman
        Last edited by Stu Chapman; 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Knew Dennis for over 40 years. Never had an issue. Sad that he did not have much of a retirement since his stroke came not long after his was out of the parts business. Photos below taken at the old Standard Surplus facility (bldgs 53/58) before the move across the street to the Engineering Building.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lambert dennis1 captioned.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1720767Click image for larger version

Name:	lambert dennis2 caption.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1720768

- - - Updated - - -
          Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Dennis was a good Studebaker guy. I knew him for decades. One occasion comes to mind. At one of the Florida Meets that I drove down to, Dennis came up to me and said; "What are you doing here?" I probably could have said the same thing to him, but didn't. Later, I learned that he was there to talk to Steven Cade about buying a portion of his inventory (Before Steve went out of the Studebaker parts business the first time).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is a real shame. RIP, Dennis. And my condolences to his family and friends.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Sorry to hear of this.

I remember seeing Dennis manning the SASCO booth at a couple IM's. Probably saw him at the old N&A location when I was there on 2 occasions in the late 90s (what year was the last May swap at N&A??). I think I spoke briefly with him with a question once or twice. I do recall getting a email reply from Dennis with some query I had too. Seemed like a real down to earth guy. Condolences to his family. From reading his Obit elsewhere he had a large and loving family.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I remember I ordered a rear quarter panel for my Clipper Dennis put the extra effort by checking on shipping by Greyhound which saved me a lot on shipping the kind of service we seldom see now days a true gentle men dedicated to best customer service above and beyond. God Bless you and your family. Car world better place with people like this

Comment

I met Dennis once, on my trip to South Bend in the early 2000's, at the old SASCO location. It was a memorable visit; he was a very nice guy who treated a newbie Stude owner with grace despite my dumb questions He will be missed.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I met him when I flew out for the grand opening of the new museum. He sold me a wiper motor and had a few minutes to chat with him before the phone rang or someone else needed him.
                      Delightful guy and full of stories! Sad to hear he's gone but grateful I got to meet him.

Comment

Working...
                      X