53 55 Front Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 53 55 Front Suspension

I'm building a 55 CK. I have a rolling 55 frame with a body on it, and the front suspension pieces from a 53. I'd like to use the 53 pieces if I can so I don't have to take the 55 suspension apart. What are the differences between the 53 and 55? Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

There is a big difference. Use all the 55 brake parts that you can. The rest of the stuff is the same.

Comment

If you're building the CK as non-stock, then skip the stock brakes and go with front disc brakes.
      sals54

Comment

To answer the original question, the 53-55 front suspension is the same except for the brakes. the springs are different between 6 and V-8.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          To answer the original question, the 53-55 front suspension is the same except for the brakes. the springs are different between 6 and V-8.
          I thought the king pins were different. Didn't the '53 sit 1/2" higher than the '55 due to the difference there? Or did I dream that?
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Yes you dreamed that Jerry!

The '53 to '60 Lark/'61 Hawk, King Pins are all the same and have a 6 Digit Forging Number.

The '61 Larks and '62 Hawks got a New 7 Digit Forging numbered King Pin that allows about a degree more Positive direction, (Less) Negative Caster adjustment.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmm... this sure interests me & there's 2 things I always wondered about in this case: Can you see the difference on the two different kingpins, & is there a picture of them compared?

Comment

The late model king pin is very noticeabley kicked out at the top.early is pretty much straight. Luck Doofus

Comment

"Kicked out at the top" as in kicked out from the center of the car? Wouldn't that mean changing the camber?
                  Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Okidoki, now I found an old thread on the subject & understand that the out-kicked top was with & the lowered kingpin & the reason to change the camber by the top was to get better grip in harder cornering.
                    Ofcourse !
                    The caster on the other hand...?

(I'm busy just now with toe-in on Josephine)
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-25-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Yes you dreamed that Jerry!

The '53 to '60 Lark/'61 Hawk, King Pins are all the same and have a 6 Digit Forging Number.

The '61 Larks and '62 Hawks got a New 7 Digit Forging numbered King Pin that allows about a degree more Positive direction, (Less) Negative Caster adjustment.
                      Okay. Forget about the king pins. How about the spindles? Were the early '53s different than the late '53 through '64. Or did I dream that too?
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

No Jerry, you're right. But the spindles are the 51-52 that are taller than the 53-up.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X