floor shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: floor shifter

I recently picked up a T86 w/od to replace the original T86 in my 61 Hawk and would like to convert to a floor shift. I contacted Summit racing and they said the Hurst 3sp mastershift would work but to contact Hurst regarding any linkage. The tech guy said oh no that shifter won't work with a T86 and provided no encouragement for this application. I have been looking on Bob Johnstones site and realize I'll have to make the bracket and probably the linkage rods however I'm sure someone out there has been down this road and I would appreciate any advice.Thanks Mike Earle

Do a search for T86 floor shift, and you'll see some threads which already deal with this topic.
    Here's a couple:

sals54

Comment

Yes, you'll have to do some modification on the bracket and/or bend the rods, but it isn't rocket science.

With the tranny on the bench, it's easier to see what needs to be done to make it all fit together.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I have a used 3 speed Hurst that may be what you need. I know very little about a shifter but it cam off a Studebaker. I could email a picture or two if you wanted to see. Chet445

Comment

Please pardon my ignorance about Studebaker V8s, but has anyone produced an adapter kit for a modern transmission, i.e. one with the shift mechanism inside the transmission, such as a T-5? I am amazed how much time people seem to spend fussing with external shift linkages in various engine swaps. I have owned a lot of foreign cars and done a number of engine swaps going back to the 1960s, but I have never had to deal with external shift linkages.
          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Yes 48, There is a Quicktime bell housing that is SFI approved, but costs $680. Or you can go with a truck bell housing with the right sized register and re drill it and make your own mounts. Cheaper but more work involved.

Comment

Thing is the electrically controlled overdrive on the T-86 (& T-85) has its own operating advantages over fully manual gear selection. Number one to me, is the near instantaneous downshift to direct at highway speeds by simply flooring the accelerator, and back into overdrive by simply letting up on the accelerator. No rowing with the shifter or 'synchronizing' required. And the 'automatic' shifting between the two ranges of 2nd gear, and 'free-wheeling' is really responsive for getting around urban areas. The downside is the antiquated non-syncro 1st gear. A lot different than driving with a conventional shifting 4 or 5 speed.
              What really works great is using a Saginaw 4 speed equipped with o/d, (for sale assembled and ready to go on E-bay) or a T-10 with o/d, but the o/d adapters are NLA and now virtually non-existent.

Comment

Thanks Chet445,send any pictures you have and what you want for it to powerwagon61@hotmail.com Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                  Please pardon my ignorance about Studebaker V8s, but has anyone produced an adapter kit for a modern transmission, i.e. one with the shift mechanism inside the transmission, such as a T-5? I am amazed how much time people seem to spend fussing with external shift linkages in various engine swaps. I have owned a lot of foreign cars and done a number of engine swaps going back to the 1960s, but I have never had to deal with external shift linkages.
                  Yeah. Use a Jeep top shifter on a Studebaker transmission.
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Everything about a Studebaker is antiquated, as is internal shift mechanism, which arrived in the 1930s. Stude cars, trucks and Jeeps had it. The external shift linkage came with the "modern" column shifter in cars around 1940 and trucks around 1950.

And yes, many here have installed T5, TKO, T56, SROD and other internally shifted transmissions. The transmission then becomes the only "modern" part of an otherwise mechanically antiquated car. Then, it needs an OHC engine, disc brakes, air conditioning, electric PS, IRS and you've been down that road with your project.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Hey thanks for the history lesson but I'm just trying to find out what shifter I could adapt to my T86 od . Its on the bench where I can make the bracket adapt rods put it all together before sliding it in. I know its not rocket science but pictures and advice are appreciated. Thanks Mike Earle

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                        Actually, yes. It can be done. Use the early T10 4 speed trans bellhousing which has the bolt pattern to accept the Chevy 5 speed transmissions. Some of the venders still sell the pilot bushing adapter which allows the shorter pilot shaft to fit into the Stude flywheel. I can't remember all the other details of the clutch, etc, but its been done for decades.
                        sals54

Comment

Yes everything is antiquated on my Hawk and I like it for what it is,everybody seems obsessed with every modern upgrade which is cool but if you really need all that go buy a mitsubishi .As for me I like to jump into my time machine and go back down country roads to the 20th century LOL. Thanks for the advice Jack I found a syncro lock on ebay and now just have to find and adapt rods and make bracket. Any ideas where to find rods to adapt besides bending end and threading rod? Thanks to everyone, Mike Earle

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
                            Yes everything is antiquated on my Hawk and I like it for what it is,everybody seems obsessed with every modern upgrade which is cool but if you really need all that go buy a mitsubishi .As for me I like to jump into my time machine and go back down country roads to the 20th century LOL. Thanks for the advice Jack I found a syncro lock on ebay and now just have to find and adapt rods and make bracket. Any ideas where to find rods to adapt besides bending end and threading rod? Thanks to everyone, Mike Earle
                            Hurst still supplies a number of shifter rod and mount kits but I'd be surprised if they had one that fits directly. IIWM, and I have a lathe and MIG, I'd mount the shifter to the case and use the old coat hanger wire trick to approximate arm shape and length.

The two hurdles will be the bend on the trans shifter arm end and the threaded adapter on the shifter body to mount the arms.

The bend issue can be solved by bending the end of the arms with as tight a bend as possible and welding a washer on the bend to keep the arm from slipping into the shifter arm on the trans. In real life, I'd make an adapter like the threaded one that mounts the arm to the shifter and weld it on the get a tight turn and connection to the trans.

The threaded mount adapter would be a simple turning with a lathe but they are also probably available from Hurst.

I'd also use thicker stock to keep flexing of the shifter arms to a minimum.

Should be a nice weekend project, Good luck as the Hurst conversion make for better shifting.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X