Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A note regarding fire extinguishers at the International Meet in Tacoma, Wa.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note regarding fire extinguishers at the International Meet in Tacoma, Wa.

TO ALL REGISTRANTS FOR THIS YEAR'S INTERNATIONAL MEET HAVING A STUDEBAKER JUDGED Thursday August 30 (Class 1-4), Friday August 31 (Class 5-9 and SI), and/or participating with your Registered Display or Judged Studebaker in the Saturday, Sept. 1 Car Show on Haub Field (Only Registered Display or Judged Cars will be permitted on Haub Field and must Display the Window Display Card on their windshield to gain entrance. Please read the following:

NOTICE to ALL DISPLAY OR JUDGED VEHICLE OWNERS FOR THIS YEAR’S INTERNATIONAL MEET

The question of enforcement of the fire extinguisher guidelines at the International Meet this year has been raised by a number of Studebaker owners.

This guideline will be enforced at the August 29-31, September 1, 2018 International Meet inTacoma, Washington. The text of this guideline follows below. This guideline applies to both Display and Judged vehicles at the meet this year and following years. This guideline is also applicable to ALL zone or regional meets where display or judging of cars is being done.

“Failure to have an approved Fire Extinguisher will disqualify a Club member to display or enter their car into SDC judging at an official SDC sanctioned meet or show.

The fire extinguisher must be UL listed or equivalent and fully charged. The minimum for all vehicles is a ULtype 1-A:5-B:C. For fire extinguishers without a gauge; insure that thenozzle is not obstructed and the safety seal is intact. The extinguisher need not be permanently mounted, but must be clearly visible and readily available.

When the car is on display, the fire extinguisher should be on the ground near the left front wheel. For Drive-through judging, the fire extinguisher may beon the front seat or floor, but readily visible and available.“
    Thismotion takes effect on January 1, 2017.

The fire extinguisher mentioned above is readily available at Lowes, Home Depot and Menards and your local hardware store for prices beginning around $20.
    Please be sure to have your fire extinguisher clearly visible when driving onto the judging area on Haub Field in TacomaThursday (Class 1-4) or Friday (Class 5-9 & SI), and near the left frontwheel when your car is on display on Saturday on Haub Field.

Denny Foust, IM Committee Chair
    studeguy54@gmail.com

Yes, understand the reasons and that it's a done deal.

Just asking, over all the years of International Meets, how many Studebakers have caught on fire and/or burned to the ground while being displayed or judged?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I have a fire extinguisher in all my cars.
      Its just common sense.
      I do however find the idea of it being a rule a little off putting, something like rules requiring motorcycle helmets and (automobile) seatbelts. I use both though, or I did wear a helmet when I had my Airhead BMW, and I put seatbelts in my 55 President last year.
      Thats just me, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JimKB1MCV View Post
        Its just common sense. . . . Thats just me, I guess.
        Jim, not arguing we shouldn't do it. Probably a condition of insurance and facility use to hold a car show these days.

Having said that, most of the car operating world doesn't agree carrying a fire extinguisher to be common sense. A strictly WAG would find a fire extinguisher in maybe .001% of the privately-owned vehicles on the world's roads, but 100% of the Studebakers on display at the IM.

I did wear a helmet when I had my Airhead BMW, and I put seatbelts in my 55 President last year.
        (And yes, agree. I've installed and used seat belts and/or helmet in every vehicle I've owned since 1962.)

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 05-16-2018, 11:59 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Luckily for me, my Avanti did not burst into flames as I was close and got the quick disconnect activated on my Avanti a few years back on the way to a meet in St. Louis. All it cost me was a new wiring harness and a few months of "down time".
          I have only seen one fire at a Studebaker meet; it was an Avanti at the Zone Meet in Kansas City a few years back (TURNING WHEELS has a story on it), but I have heard of one other.
          Seeing only one car on fire is more than enough to convince me that it a great idea to have an extinguisher handy and to know how to use it. If I see flames at a show, I will grab the closest extinguisher (hopefully it will be at the left front wheel of every car there) and put it to use. If mine gets used by someone in need, that is fine with me... as my car might be next to the one on fire.
          The SDC is only one of many national clubs requiring extinguishers, the AACA is the first to come to mind and they require it for a reason.
          For more extinguisher information, check out https://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/fires.html

Comment

I have multiple cars and all both collectible and daily drivers have fire extinguishers in them. I too have had a fire in an Avanti when a Power Steering hose touched an exhaust because it was not in the correct placed creating a very scary situation. Because I had a Fire Extinguisher and because several Corvette guys had them too i did not lose a car. The largest car club in the country (AACA) will not allow a car on any of their fields without and extinguisher and prominently displayed by front wheel on the drivers side. Other major clubs regardless of make also require them as well and your SDC Board voted well over a year ago to adopt this standard as well. We all have our opinions on this issue but personally i will not drive a car without a fire extinguisher in it.
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
              Luckily for me, my Avanti did not burst into flames as I was close and got the quick disconnect activated on my Avanti a few years back on the way to a meet in St. Louis. All it cost me was a new wiring harness and a few months of "down time".
              I have only seen one fire at a Studebaker meet; it was an Avanti at the Zone Meet in Kansas City a few years back (TURNING WHEELS has a story on it), but I have heard of one other.
              Seeing only one car on fire is more than enough to convince me that it a great idea to have an extinguisher handy and to know how to use it. If I see flames at a show, I will grab the closest extinguisher (hopefully it will be at the left front wheel of every car there) and put it to use. If mine gets used by someone in need, that is fine with me... as my car might be next to the one on fire.
              The SDC is only one of many national clubs requiring extinguishers, the AACA is the first to come to mind and they require it for a reason.
              For more extinguisher information, check out https://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/fires.html

Yes, it made me a believer. You think, It will never happen to me, as I did. Read the TW SEPTEMBER 2016 issue. page 22.
              My guardian angel was with me that morning and thanks to a wonderful bunch of guys, they managed to put it out.

I'm totally in favor of the new rules set by the IM committee!

Make sure you read that issue!

Steve-o-Reno
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Steve-o-Reno; 05-16-2018, 03:46 PM. Reason: Add a photo

Comment

It happened to me as I was pulling into my driveway last year. A wire, added by a P.O. for some option no longer on the truck, had shorted against the emergency brake cable and was in flames. I had a fire extinguisher handy...because i had just returned from the South Bend IM. It's common sense, it's a good SDC rule, and I'm a believer.
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

When I was rebuilding my Avanti, Doug Taylor took me to a burned out '65 Jaguar XKE he had in the lot. He pointed it out and said, "That's steel & we'll rebuild it. Yours is fiberglas and there is no saving it. Don't drive anywhere without a fire extinguisher." It's with me full time & fully charged. Kind of like having earthquake insurance. 28 years ago everyone thought I was nutz for having it. From day one I have had it and have been grandfathered in to the existing policy. Others are finding it difficult to even get a rider.

Comment

I've had two cars catch on fire, both because of carelessness or ignorance on my part. Luckily I had fire extinguishers handy both times. Believe me there is nothing comparable to get your heart beating like your favorite car on fire.

There is of course always the spector of all the fuel in the tank exploding if a fire is unchecked.

Nobody likes being told what to do but for myself if it is required I won't forget it.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Yes, understand the reasons and that it's a done deal.

Just asking, over all the years of International Meets, how many Studebakers have caught on fire and/or burned to the ground while being displayed or judged?

jack vines
                      Jack,

It has been pointed out to me that this situation has occurred. I believe our prior President, Carl Thomason can point to an incident where a car caught fire at a show, and it was only through the quick actions of people in attendance who has extinguishers in their cars, that the vehicle was saved.

I have been to many cars shows sponsored by AACA where it is a requirement for an currently-labeled fire extinguisher to be present. For SDC it is not only the right thing to do. It is the smart thing to do.

Comment

Its just common sense.
                        I do however find the idea of it being a rule a little off putting, something like rules requiring motorcycle helmets and (automobile) seatbelts. I use both though, or I did wear a helmet when I had my Airhead BMW, and I put seatbelts in my 55 President last year.
                        Thats just me, I guess.
                        For SDC it is not only the right thing to do. It is the smart thing to do. Thank you for understanding why we are doing it.

Denny Foust,
                        studeguy54@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                          Thank you for your comments. As I've noted on some of the replies here, for SDC, it is not only the right thing to do. It is the smart thing to do.

Comment

Why was this moved......?
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

It should be mandatory that it be mounted properly when not in use. I have seen cars burn at events but I think MORE extinguishers blow off on accident than are used on a fire. Not only is it a dangerous, flying projectile in an accident , but those plastic ones can break off and discharge anytime..... while parked AND driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X