Thread: 1950 commander will not go in gear with motor running

Champion Member

1950 commander will not go in gear with motor running

Just got my 1950 commander running and realize it will not go in gear with motor running. 6 cylinder 3 speed and can get all gears until i crank up then all i get is a grinding where linkage enters transmission in all gears. adjusted pedal linkage 3 turns as manual said but no help as matter of fact tightening 3 turnd left me without reverse. Any Ideas? if i try to crank in gear with clutch depressed car will move forward.

President Member
    Your clutch disc is probably stuck to the flywheel, due to sitting, moisture ETC; if you can remove the inspection cover, have a buddy push in the clutch and see if you can turn the disc. You can make a clutch depresser out of a 2 X 4 if you have no help. Try using a paint scraper to break the disc free with the pedal depressed. Good Luck Lou Cote

Blog Entries
    How long has it been sitting? If a long time I betcha the clutch plate is rusted to the flywheel. Stomp on the brake as hard as you can to keep the car from moving and bump the starter a few times. That should break it loose.

Edit: I see Lou already answered, his method is probably better

1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

President Member
    Either way is worth a try. Lou

Champion Member
    Thanks going to try this tomorrow. Question I've had the starter off several times changing selenoids. Finally got a good one from Steve Allen in Gainsville. Could i remove starter and use maybe a drum brake tool if disc is durable enough. That way i could turn the flywheel a little at a time with the fan to pressure different areas. new to studebakers so just say if thats not an option.

Step on the brake, then step on the starter. If that doesn't break it loose find a road with no traffic and push the clutch in an floor the throttle several times to see if it will break loose.

Silver Hawk Member
    Jack up rear end so both rear wheels are off the ground. Start the car in third gear -- rear wheels will turn. Push in clutch, and stomp on brake. Should break loose. If not, repeat.

Speedster Member
    Inspect all linkages from the clutch pedal back to the bellhousing and make sure nothing is bent or broken. I had a linkage failure on the road which made getting home a bit interesting. I also had another car with a frozen clutch and that one had to be freed up via Lou's first method. Good luck.

President Member
    I concur with Skip. I had the same problem with an engine and trans that sat for a long time (probably 10 years). I put the car on jackstands and ran it at about 20 MPH in third, stepped on the clutch and quickly hit the brakes hard. It took 4 or 5 tries, but it finally broke loose and I've been driving it ever since.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)