Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad to say the last time was about 30 years ago..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Sad to say the last time was about 30 years ago..

So this old mans memory is fading.....could someone jump in and relate the specific steps to setting up points in a Studebaker Avanti.

Do not assume I remember anything:-(

Thanks

The best way to set the points in the dual point distributor is on a distributor machine. The hard way is to get cam follower on each set of points up on a lobe and then try to set the clearance to .016" for each set. You will have to turn the engine at least once as there is a 6 degree offset on the points. Once that is done, put a piece of paper between the contacts on one set of points, start the engine and veriify that the dwell is between 28 and 30 degrees. Do the same for the other set of points and don't forget a bit of cam lube on the cam followers. Verify that the dwell is around 36 degrees with both sets of points operating, then check the timing. Bud
    Last edited by Bud; 05-16-2018, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I have not seen a Sun Dist machine in over 40 years, not one shop that I know of has one. That being said.....do I have to be concerned with the primary and secondary points?.....meaning do I have to determine which are the primary and secondary, then first block the secondary with a thin piece of cardboard or match book cover, then use feeler gauge to set the primary set...in the case of the Avanti(64) each set should be set to a dwell reading of 24 degrees, when both have thus been set the total dwell should be between 32-36 degrees....plus or minus 2 degrees (per the Sun chart) btw, Studebaker spec is .018 gap, I remember many many years ago the Stude dealer used to set the points at a "tight" .019. Comments?????
      Originally posted by Bud View Post
      The best way to set the points in the dual point distributor is on a distributor machine. The hard way is to get cam follower on each set of points up on a lobe and then try to set the clearance to .016" for each set. You will have to turn the engine at least once as there is a 6 degree offset on the points. Once that is done, put a piece of paper between the contacts on one set of points, start the engine and veriify that the dwell is between 28 and 30 degrees. Do the same for the other set of points and don't forget a bit of cam lube on the cam followers. Verify that the dwell is around 36 degrees with both sets of points operating, then check the timing. Bud

Comment

Thot ya didnt remember nuttin!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

I've found on my Snap On distributor machine that setting each set of points at 28 degrees will give my around 36 degrees total dwell with both sets of points operating. There seems to be some differences in the dwell setting between the long and short moveable point arm. I don't remember off hand which type used more or less dwell so I aim for 36 degrees total dwell which is in the center of the different specs. The points currently supplied are of the long arm type though there are still NOS sets of the short arm points that turn up from time to time. I have both types in my parts supply and have used both and I don't see any difference in engine performance or point life and using the different dwell settings that show up in the tuneup manuals. I always set new points on the low side of the dwell recommendation as the cam follower will wear down a bit in the first few hours of use so it's not a bad idea to check the dwell after a few hundred miles of operation to be sure that the dwell has stayed in spec and re check the timing to be sure that is also in spec. It doesn't matter which set of points gets set first, that isn't an issue. Don't use anything that is too thick to disable one set of points as if there is any wear in the shaft bushings, that could cause an incorrect dwell setting due to an uneven shaft load. Bud

Comment

The wife reminded me LOL........
            Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Thot ya didnt remember nuttin!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

A business card or match book cover so I have been told. I have about six sets of tune up parts from the 60's still in stock...I will not purchase new points etc....quality is terrible.
              Originally posted by Bud View Post
              I've found on my Snap On distributor machine that setting each set of points at 28 degrees will give my around 36 degrees total dwell with both sets of points operating. There seems to be some differences in the dwell setting between the long and short moveable point arm. I don't remember off hand which type used more or less dwell so I aim for 36 degrees total dwell which is in the center of the different specs. The points currently supplied are of the long arm type though there are still NOS sets of the short arm points that turn up from time to time. I have both types in my parts supply and have used both and I don't see any difference in engine performance or point life and using the different dwell settings that show up in the tuneup manuals. I always set new points on the low side of the dwell recommendation as the cam follower will wear down a bit in the first few hours of use so it's not a bad idea to check the dwell after a few hundred miles of operation to be sure that the dwell has stayed in spec and re check the timing to be sure that is also in spec. It doesn't matter which set of points gets set first, that isn't an issue. Don't use anything that is too thick to disable one set of points as if there is any wear in the shaft bushings, that could cause an incorrect dwell setting due to an uneven shaft load. Bud

Comment

I've been using new stock Standard Blue Streak condensers and if I remember correctly, the part number is AL118 with good luck as I haven't had a failure with one yet. The condensers with the orange pigtail supplied by some of the Studebaker parts vendors have given me problems in the recent past so I will no longer use them. A piece of a business card is good to use to disable one set of points. I've also used a piece of the front cover from an old parts catalog which also works well. Bud

Comment

Working...
                X