Thread: Need carburator rebuilder

Need carburator rebuilder

Well took my Stude out last night, ran great to a cruise in... on the way back stated bucking and a huge smell of gas... it stalled completely and gas was puddled under the carb. Lucky was almost home and with the help of a few good guys pushed it to the driveway. The car started but gas was flowing from somewhere on the carb but couldn't tell from where and just lucky no flames. I took the carb off today and nothing apparent so my best guess is a stuck float. Time to send it to somebody, its a Stromberg WW... any suggestions on where to send it.

I know Dave T-Bow does other Stude carbs, I assume he does Stromberg as well. His business card is always advertised in Turning Wheels. He has done 2 for me and I have never heard anything other than high praise for his work.

It could be just a piece of trash holding the needle valve open. If you want to put the carb back on an try it, here is a trick I learned from Dave. Start the car. Clamp a section of the rubber fuel hose off with pliers. If it is flooding due to trash under the needle valve, the idle will start to clear up as the fuel in the bowl drops down to normal levels. Keep the rubber line clamped off until the engine starts to stumble indicating you are running out of gas in the bowl. Release the pliers and the rush of fuel into the bowl just might clear the trash out of the way. Repeat the process a few times and see hoe the car runs after that.

This test assumes you don't have a big leak that is just pumping gas all over the engine. In that case, it should be easy to find anyway.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

President Member
    Look at your shop manual!
    The needle valve comes out easily.
    Put a fuel filter ahead of the carb to prevent it from happening again.

Today's fuel may have deteriorated the needle seal and allow fuel to flow into the bowl even when full. If you can easily replace just the needle and seat with one compatible with today's fuel, you may just have fixed the problem.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Flooding Stromberg carburetors are easily repaired. Disconnect the fuel line and remove the needle and seat. Sometimes a small piece of rubbish with get lodged between the needle valve and seat causing the valve not to seal properly. Blow out the seat and check the valve for debris. This will fix the problem 9 times out of 10. Bud

Thanks all, I'm sending it to Dave T, wife was freaked out with all the gas and not having a fire extinguisher handy... better safe than sorry. Thanks again for all the response. I did take the needle and seat out and didn't see anything and it has an inline filter on the line... which is also getting replaced tomorrow. :-)

President Member
    also.... make sure the throttle shaft requires rebushing... Dave will assess that.....good insurance now while carb is on the bench (kitchen table)....

Quote Originally Posted by chumad View Post
    wife was freaked out with all the gas and not having a fire extinguisher handy
    not trying to "get on ya", but (especially) older cars should always have a small ABC fire extinguisher. i think you realize why. besides, most car shows won't let you in the door without one.

i have mine mounted on the floor behind the driver's seat.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. [IMG][/IMG] '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.[IMG][/IMG]

President Member
    Dave T no question.

President Member
    but........ before you go forward and pull the thing off for rebuild......and after you've checked the inlet for debris........go out and start the car....... wait til operating temp (if you can keep it running)......if it starts flooding and bucking slap down hard on the air filter housing (straight down). If that doesn't work, try a rubber headed hammer and just lightly tap the carb just above the float. Not too hard or you can crack the carb housing. I believe JDP gave this advise years ago.... and it works for that ailment. I hardly think your carb would need rebuilding in a that short of time......GL

President Member
    Short of what time GL?

President Member
    ..... short of having no performance issues out to the car show, then suddenly having problems coming home ??? All in a few hours ? Possible, but unlikely. For Strombergs with this ailment I have used a number of additives that help keep the float from sticking: MMO, AT fluid, motor oil, diesel fuel, ...... added to the gas tank ~ 1+ pints......

Speedster Member
    I have to agree with all the above. It sounds like you have cleaned up the needle and seat and probably dumped the carb so any crud may be long gone. Have you actually replaced it back on the car and tried to fire it? Only takes a few minutes with those carbs. Just might be good to go. A new in-line filter may be warranted. If still no happiness a trip to Dave T will sort it. Luck.

....index.jpg.....

Dave T is without the best, he just rebuilt the carb for my 63 GT Hawk. He also rebuilt the original and spare for my 64 Avanti R2. I may have him rebuild the Super Hawk carb too once the body shop is finished and I do a road test.

President Member
    Dave T is not the single source of quality work on carbs etc, consider contacting Jon Myer, he has more automotive/truck experience than anyone I can think of..not only Studes but all brand X's....at 75 years young Jon has been spinning wrenches since he was 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by chumad View Post
    Well took my Stude out last night, ran great to a cruise in... on the way back stated bucking and a huge smell of gas... it stalled completely and gas was puddled under the carb. Lucky was almost home and with the help of a few good guys pushed it to the driveway. The car started but gas was flowing from somewhere on the carb but couldn't tell from where and just lucky no flames. I took the carb off today and nothing apparent so my best guess is a stuck float. Time to send it to somebody, its a Stromberg WW... any suggestions on where to send it.

IMG_4495.JPGI've done a few over the years.Loewy-Car-No-1-carb-11-sm.jpg
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Commander Member
    I would encourage you, with the aid of a shop manual, to rebuild the carb yourself....it isn't rocket science or brain surgery. Take lots of pictures and notes as you go and with the use of common sense and a gallon of carb cleaner soaking solution your will be surprised how easy it is to do. Like most things in Studebaker or other old cars, the restoration/repair of most sub assemblies seems intimidating until you actually get your hands a little dirty and then you realize that it's something that is well within the abilities of the average backyard mechanic. Speaking of which, if you aren't already somewhat of a mechanic, don't let that stop you! Get a few basic tools and have at it! There is nothing to compare to the satisfaction and pride one can get by honestly saying, "I did it myself." Just a little courage and get up and go will give you enormous rewards you can't even now imagine.

Commander Member
    To further illustrate my point...I grew up in northern Ohio. A neighbor worked in a warehouse, driving a fork lift, but he was one of the greatest handymen I ever knew. He could do it all...paint, carpentry, wiring, auto mechanics, masonry, lawn care, plumbing, you name it. He made a huge impression on me. Once I asked him how he had acquired all of this knowledge and skill and his simple answer was, "by just doing it, slowly and carefully, using common sense and a large dose of patience." This was amazing advice that has served me well over the years. Like the commercial says, "Just do it!"

Quote Originally Posted by jif988 View Post
    ... rebuild the carb yourself....it isn't rocket science or brain surgery.
    Absolutely true; until the carb body and linkages are so worn that no simple rebuild is going to make it work like new. And that's when the service of a professional rebuilder is required.

President Member
    I agree to a point jif, but the average guy couldn’t get the like-new finish on the carb that one would from Dave.

Speedster Member
    When I decided it was time for my R2 carb to be redone I searched locally for someone to do it. No joy and shipping stateside is getting ridiculous so I tore it down myself. I found a flooded float, improperly installed linkages and mismatched jets so I ordered the correct parts and followed the service manual VERY carefully when I put it back together. I was lucky in that it is a low mileage car so the throttle shafts were not worn. After replacement it still wasn't running right so I thought I screwed up but after going over a number of other items I found out it was my distributor that was causing the engine to misfire. I am still playing with metering rods, jets and springs but otherwise the carb is working quite well, thank you very much.

As a lot of folks have said earlier in this thread, you just may be able to do it yourself. Check the throttle shaft and linkage wear and if you see any difficulties then you might want to contact someone like Dave T, Jon, Bezhawk or someone local, if you can find someone. Happy motoring!