Repainting inside of horn button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting inside of horn button

I am trying to repaint the read inside of a 51 Commander horn button. What is the best way to remove the old red paint? The emblem is still good so I only want to remove the red without messing up the clear part or the emblem.

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

A very tricky job at best. Notice that they always sealed the Colors in with a Dull, Metallic, Aluminum Silver Top Coat.

Also, be sure to get a Deep Burgundy with a lot of Blue in it, to replace the Original which was NOT Red.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	213139B7-E6D1-42BB-A0DD-C8A3BBAB0E65.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1720697This what it should look like
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Wet sand paper. Start with 600 to 1000 grit. finish off with rubbing compound before painting. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I tried to repaint a exterior plastic emblem like this once... Plastic looked good and ~seemed~ to be crack free. I forget what I used to get remaining old paint off, probably some solvent that appeared not to attack the plastic. Anyway, before repainting, I wiped it down with some thinner or alcohol and ~that~ wicked into hidden crazing cracks and ruined the appearance from the outside side. It would not evaporate either and I ended up painting it as-is. Look not so good. In hindsight, maybe if I had tried some low heat like a hair dryer I could have got the thinner out of the cracks.

Short reply, is be careful what you use to clean it up!!!

Jeff in ND

Comment

I have to do the same thing for a couple of identical horn buttons for my 1950 cars. I would try removing the old paint by scraping it with your fingernail.

Comment

I second the fingernail technique and suggest an orangewood stick that ladies use to push their cuticles.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
              X