Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unintended consequences of cars with keyless ignition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintended consequences of cars with keyless ignition...

There have been about 20 or so incidences of people dying and many more injured from CO poioning after forgetting to shut off their new, improved keyless vehicles causing, the cars to continue running in attached garages. I guess you could call that "unintended consequences". Pretty hard to do with old antique cars where you had to shut the engine off to remove the key...unless you are dead drunk. I guess we are creatures of habit, people relate taking the ID fob with them to taking the old fashioned key or key fob when they park the vehicle and don't realize the vehicle is still running? I don't know if I'm ready for a nanny car yet.......

I guess I've finally become old. My Ram has the keyless start and it's great. Never need to get your keys out, just hit the door handle and the door unlocks. Set in the seat and push the button. Truck starts. While what you said was true for a short time all the newer vehicles put the tranny in park as soon as the door handle is moved.

Bob

Comment

Yea The wifes Challenger sat idling for about 8 hours in the parking garage at work , I figured out the engine turned over 600,000 times in that period , Ed

Comment

The one that scares me is "steer by wire". I personally would not own a car that has no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. The changes being gradually introduced to our cars would even scare George Orwell. I think the day is not so far away when some cities in the U.S. will only allow self driving cars inside the city. What do you think will be the next step after that?
        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          I guess I've finally become old. My Ram has the keyless start and it's great. Never need to get your keys out, just hit the door handle and the door unlocks. Set in the seat and push the button. Truck starts. While what you said was true for a short time all the newer vehicles put the tranny in park as soon as the door handle is moved.

Bob
          Being in PARK does not prevent the engine running in a garage (as in the original post). It is running while in the garage, not running into the garage.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's about time someone noticed this. I bought my car in 2006 and in the first year had numerous instances where I'd come out of a store to find the car idling in the parking space. Seems that when you get where you're going and hop out of the car with the keys in your hand, everything is where it should be....Not!
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

As for myself I think that replacing a simple key with a fob makes no sense. In most cases the fob resembles a lead weight in your pocket rattling around with all the other keys that define your life. This stupid "advancement" after all is said is simply a bigger, heavier key. As for push button start; my 1946 Dodge Conv. has it. There are many safety advances on new cars that force you to spend more money but they serve a purpose. Items like key-fobs and (my favorite) touch screens that force you to take your eyes off the road just to change channels or adjust the heater are solutions looking for a problem.

As you think of key-fobs ask yourself how much of a problem using an ignition really was, did it tire you to use it ?
                Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
                  As for myself I think that replacing a simple key with a fob makes no sense. In most cases the fob resembles a lead weight in your pocket rattling around with all the other keys that define your life. This stupid "advancement" after all is said is simply a bigger, heavier key. As for push button start; my 1946 Dodge Conv. has it. There are many safety advances on new cars that force you to spend more money but they serve a purpose. Items like key-fobs and (my favorite) touch screens that force you to take your eyes off the road just to change channels or adjust the heater are solutions looking for a problem.

As you think of key-fobs ask yourself how much of a problem using an ignition really was, did it tire you to use it ?
                  Well I am really getting old. What is a key fob? I do believe though that in about ten years or so it will likely be illegal to drive any thing anywhere on a street or highway. it will be safer but how much fun is it going to be. This driverless thing is progressing very fast. Recently there was a self driving semi driverless between Desmoines and Omaha and done safely. Hang on to your hat!
                  don

Comment

Another article that appeared today: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/...gFp5&ocid=iehp

Craig

Comment

Heck, I can do that with my Studebakers. I just pull the key out of the ignition while the vehicle is running. I sometimes do this when I have forgotten something inside the house and I need the house key (on the same ring) to unlock the house door but want to leave the engine running to warm up. My garage is detached from the house so no chance of killing myself, the wife or the dogs.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

For many years, Chevy (and all GM?) allowed you to remove the key with the engine running. It was to allow valet parking without giving the guy the keys. My 62 Chev is so equipped.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                        X