SDC Site Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC Site Security

I've noticed that the SDC (and some other car based sites I frequent) do not have the Lock icon and the words SECURED in the address bar http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp. Is this something that slips by un-noticed? Is there a reason for this? Is it a cause for concern?

I looked over at the Allpar site (huge Chrysler based website) and they do have the Lock and words secure https://www.allpar.com/index.php . So, just wondering???
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Wittsend: I have a question after reading that your 64 Lark is powered by a 85 Corvette L-69 engine. The only engine that was available in the 1985 Corvette was the new L-98 350 cid V8 engine with TPI. This engine is 5.7 liters. The L-69 engine was introduced in 1983 and was available through 1988. This was a 5.0 liter HO V8 of around 305 cid. The engine could only be had in the Camaro Z28 and the IRCO Z as well as the Firebird Trans AM and the Monte Carlo SS. The only engine that came in the Corvette from 1985 through 1992 was the L98.

John S.
    Last edited by Packard53; 05-12-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

LOl, 66 views and no one knows about the security issue. As naive as me..., don't care..., afraid to know???

John S. - You abe absolutely correct. My error. It is a L-98. Originally with a TPI, but I bought the engine off Ebay in a long block form and thus no intake. The seller seemed to run a Corvette dismantling business out of his suburban home and advertised it as a 66K engine. Seems I got every $171 worth I paid for it, and with a Edelbrock Performer intake, carb and a Pertronix equipped rebuilt distributor (all used) became a very nice running engine for $250!

I'll correct my profile. I think it has been 'wrong' for about 5+ years now. Thanks for noticing.
      Last edited by wittsend; 05-12-2018, 04:24 PM.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Wittsend: I have a 1986 Corvette Roadster that of course has the L98 with aluminium heads equipped with the Doug Nash 4+3 manual transmission with only 37,000 original documented miles. The L98 is nice a nice performing engine with lots of low end grunt. That engine in your in your 64 Lark should make your car run like a bat out of hell.

John S.

Comment

Brief tap at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. 3.07 gears somewhat limit acceleration but the torque building motor (as you noted) and the 3.06 1st gear of the 700R4 somewhat offset that.

Comment

HTTPS scrambles the message so nobody can read it during transmission, http does not. Because your message is also a post, it's probably a waste to use https as anyone can read it when it arrives.

It takes other methods to keep your data safe on the site.

Bob

Comment

SSL mode

Running a site in SSL (Secure Socket Layer), otherwise known as HTTPS, is a bit tricky and is only done when needed.

The tricky bits are:
              • maintaining a signed certificate. You can use self signed certs but then the user MUST approve the un-certified SSL and it looks a bit dodgy when your browser shows this big warning.
              • it is just about impossible to have mixed media, secure verses non-secure.

If the site were ran in SSL mode it may be impossible to have users provide photos, or links to externally stored photos...
              DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
              1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

Thank you for the explanations. I was concern that there might be issues simply from the connection. As I said the AllPar site seems secured from the homepage - onward.

Comment

Working...
                X