Champ rarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ rarity

You would be the only one at an International Meet with one - 172 were sold domestically - are there even a dozen out there? And a four speed? Might be the last one left...

I guess you are talking about with those particular options?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      I guess you are talking about with those particular options?
      Yep - OHV six and 4 speed were probably not too common - even out of the 172...

Comment

You do have to wonder why they would put that anemic Six in a 3/4 Ton Truck, but the 4 Speed was definitely a good choice if you were, because you need all the Gears you can get to get a Loaded Truck GOING with that little 170 Engine.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Years ago one of my Studebaker buddies bought a used ‘62 Champ - long wheel base, six cylinder, 4 speed, although it was a 1/2 ton. He always drove his Studebakers hard and it was surprising how much work he could get out of that six cylinder engine. Like StudeRich said, gotta use those transmission gears!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            You do have to wonder why they would put that anemic Six in a 3/4 Ton Truck, but the 4 Speed was definitely a good choice if you were, because you need all the Gears you can get to get a Loaded Truck GOING with that little 170 Engine.
            Rich - I thought the same thing as well once when I saw a R-series one ton truck with its big wheels and then that little Champion motor under the hood...

Comment

My first 4X4 was a 61 Ford F-250 long box. 223 six with 3-speed and 4.56 axles. It too was under powered but it worked. I just ran it hard. I am sure the 223 with its 3.6" stroke made less torque than the 4" stroke Stude engine.
              james r pepper

Comment

There always needs to be a weak link. If that link is the engines power, it will save the rest of the drive train from hand gernading. Go slow and get there or spin the wheels and break something.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

There's a reason why... "You would be the only one at an International Meet with one..."

Comment

Working...
                  X