Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Commander: Engine Won't Turn Over (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, with the logic of starting with the simple stuff first. The solenoid is not clicking yet so the battery is not TOTALLY fried.If you put a multimeter on the battery posts and have someone crank the engine, your voltage should stay above about 10 volts if I remember correctly. If it bottoms out you know that's your problem.

#1. battery/battery connections
    #2. Pull all the plugs and repeat #1.
    then you can move on to other suggestions.

JMO
    Rog
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Comment

Over the years I've worked on at least 2 cars where the battery cable pulled right out of the terminal on the battery post, even though they looked good.
      I agree to check battery voltage before and while cranking the engine.

Comment

Had two Buicks with stuck valves, one a '59 nailhead and the other a/52 Roadmaster straight eight. I always turn a motor that has been sitting several turns by hand before trying the starter. Both would turn nearly a full turn then "lock up" turn other direction and "lock up" at same point. Pulled valve covers and rocker arms and shoot the valves with W/D40, sit for 15 min. then make sure you are not on the lock up point hit the valve (s) that looks lower than the rest with a soft hammer once or twice, it should free up. Did that on both Buicks, put them back together, started them up and ran both for several years. I should mention, the st, 8 sat inside for abt ten years w/o a valve cover. -Jim

Comment

You have electrical issues,batt, cables,starter.do the cables heat up? pull plugs and see if it will" wind mill". how does starter sound? tractor supply may carry the heavy 6 volt cables. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            may carry the heavy 6 volt cables. Luck Doofus
            I'd opt to get 0 or 00 welder cable. It does very well
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thank you for all the input. I will look into these things this week.

I didn’t suspect the battery as it is just over a year old, but since it hasn’t run in a lil over a year maybe its dead.

Terminals look good with no corrosion.

Comment

Your terminals have to be shiny,SHINY. not just clean. cable clamp also. keep after it so we can all sleep at night LOL. Luck Doofus

Comment

Looking at the cables or the terminals is not good enough. You should use an ohmmeter there. Good cables will have a resistance around 0,03 ohm. Don't forget to test the continuity between engine and battery too.
                  Nice day to all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Put a charger on your battery and let it come back up to charge, say 24 hours. You may not have a problem at all, just a low battery from sitting too long...

Comment

UPDATE:

Tried a few things this morning.

Removed spark plugs and cranked the engine. I did not see liquid shoot out of the spark plug holes, so I do not think it’s hyrdrolocked. The radiator fan spun freely, like a “wind-mill”

I also removed valve covers… I do see up/down action from the rocker arms and valves when cranking the starter.

Put a multi-meter on the battery… I have above 12V on the sitting battery, but under load (while I hit the starter) the voltage drops to below 5V (ding! ding! ding!)

I think we are on the right track looking into the electrical/battery. Ill swing by AutoZone to rent one of those battery chargers. Maybe I should just buy one... I will probably need one down the road again.

Thank you all for the help. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Has your 55 been converted to 12v? They were originally 6v.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Harbor Freight has maintainer chargers for about $10. Probably Auto Zone and Napa, too. They do work, with caution, to keep a battery charged during storage. There is a thread here that can be searched and judge for yourself. A decent normal charger is also a worthwhile investment for an old car garage.

Comment

64studeavant,

yes, the PO has been converted to a 12V. I got it running again in 2016 after it had been sleeping for almost 4 years. After a few months of quick trips around town, it developed an exhaust leak. While repairing the exhaust leak, I snapped the head off a bolt in cylinder head and it hadn't run since 12/2016.

Comment

[QUOTE=jhicban;1110364]UPDATE Put a multi-meter on the battery… I have above 12V on the sitting battery, but under load (while I hit the starter) the voltage drops to below 5V (ding! ding! ding!) E]

i still wouldn't rule out bad cables. if i recall correctly, a charged battery should run around 12.4 V., but 5V or lower is too low. could have lost the voltage with bad cables.

since you have a 12V battery, you don't really need 0 or 00 cables. and can pick up cables at your FLAPS.

as far as a battery charger, i've had a Harbor Freight charger for 8 or 9 years. a "bonus" on this one is it will also charge 6V batteries.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                                Your terminals have to be shiny,SHINY. not just clean. cable clamp also. keep after it so we can all sleep at night LOL. Luck Doofus
                                Thank you for being one of the six people on the Internet who know how to spell shiny. Every time I read shinny, with two N's, it makes me grit my teeth.
                                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X