Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Commander: Engine Won't Turn Over (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1955 Commander: Engine Won't Turn Over (again)

Alas...

After:
    1. Repairing exhaust leak
    2. Replacing head gasket
    3. Rebuilding leaking carb
    4. Manually spinning oil pump

The engine will not turn over (again). Radiator fan turns slightly, but not all the way to kick over. (see link)

Battery seems OK, still have bright lights and fast wipers.

(Last time engine was running fully was a little over a year ago)

EDIT: About a month ago, the engine was free and turning over, but wouldn't stay running (would maybe run for 3-5 seconds before sputtering out). I discovered a noticeable hissing from the carburetor, and had to replace the gaskets.
    Last edited by jhicban; 05-12-2018, 12:03 AM. Reason: added EDIT at the bottom

If you are sure battery is good then I'd check all connections. Battery terminals, solenoid, starter. Are you sure starter is good? Can you turn over engine by hand?

Comment

Be careful! Sounds like stuck valve. Remove valve covers and check before going any farther. -Jim

Comment

Pull plugs and try turning by hand.if no go rtemove valve covers and using a brass hammer tap each valve directly on the rocker arm tip. Luck Doofus

Comment

Battery cables are toast.. (internally).
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I think you should start with the easy things first. Your video sounds/looks like a low battery condition. Have you verified the battery voltage under load (when you hit the starter)? If it hasn't been started for over a year and you haven't charged the battery, you need to do so.
            Posts #3,#4 ans #5 apply as well.
            Good luck.

Comment

Get another battery and a set of jumper cables and remove one cable from the existing battery and connect the jumper to it and see if it spins. If it spins then you have an issue with your battery and or cables. I say to remove one cable to assure no possible unwanted spark and possible battery explosion. As Paul Harvey would say, Good Day.

Comment

Is it possible that there is liquid (oil? water?) in the cylinders? As post #4 suggests, remove the spark plugs and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                  Is it possible that there is liquid (oil? water?) in the cylinders? As post #4 suggests, remove the spark plugs and see if that makes a difference.
                  This was my first guess - hydraulic lock.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i would think a hydraulic lock would be solid, this engine still turns.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                      i would think a hydraulic lock would be solid, this engine still turns.
                      The OP states that the engine "will not turn over."
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                        Pull plugs and try turning by hand.if no go rtemove valve covers and using a brass hammer tap each valve directly on the rocker arm tip. Luck Doofus
                        Make sure the battery and cables are good, but I would also follow doofus' advice.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                          Battery cables are toast.. (internally).
                          Yep... To prove such, remove both cables and place the crimped part of each on a solid surface and beat it with a hammer with two or three solid blows. Reinstall and if the car starts, you know what now to do.

Many cables were shoddily constructed during the copper shortage era and people are now paying the price for such...

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            The OP states that the engine "will not turn over."
                            But the video shows it turning a 1/4 turn on each attempt that would not be a hydraulic lock. it would just bump solid and stay there. I once lost an outboard under water and it was hydraulically locked and it would not turn at all.

Comment

I agree with the low voltage / bad connection ideas. I was starting up a ‘53 Commander recently that had the same issue as what your video seems to show. Ended up being a loose connection that had shorted out one of the battery cables.

Id make sure the battery is fully charged and clean all of the terminal connections on the cables, and make sure the cables themselves are in good shape (and the correct gauge wire).

It could also be a worn out starter.

The V8s I’ve had with a stuck valve would still turn over fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X