Replacement starter motor for my 1937 Dictator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Replacement starter motor for my 1937 Dictator

I am seeking any advice on replacing the starter motor in my 1937 Dictator. My preference is to find a replacement that will operate effectively on a 12 volt system. Any ideas on what my options are, cost and availability would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can't help you but maybe if your post gets another round of views, hopefully, someone will have info for you.
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Comment

can you have it rebuilt to fit your needs?

Comment

I have one from '38 Commander that works; it started the engine when I tried it. The engine is toast, you can see the piston rings past the eroded tops of the pistons, but it ran for a few minutes. I will likely never use it, so the starter is up for grabs. I doubt there is a direct-replacement 12 volt starter out there. Most manufacturers seem to have changed tooth count on their ring gears when they went from six to twelve volts, probably to ensure that starters were not wrongly substituted. But a healthy six-volt starter will last for years, when run on twelve volts, as long as you don't use it to crank a balky engine to the point that the battery goes flat.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If this helps, at least later starter motors did not care what the voltage or polarity was such as in a '55 President. It would just spin faster.

Give your old starter a try on your new voltage setup...

Comment

I've been using a 6V starter on a champion engine for years with a 12V battery. Works fine.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I ended up having my original 6V reconditioned and it's working well so far.

Comment

Working...
              X