Need number off outer bearing race URGENTLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Need number off outer bearing race URGENTLY

I have both front brake drums & hubs off the 62 Champ 3/4 ton truck & need to get the outer wheel bearing races either out to reuse or get the number off of them to order new ones. In the truck forum a reply came that there should be 2 notches in the hub to allow a brass punch to get them out. Key word is "should be" mine do not have such notches. Yeah, that line from that old western has crossed my mind too..."Notches.....we don't have no stinkin notches...." Perhaps not a direct quote but I'm trying real hard to keep my humor. I've called Studebaker International & gave Joe the (Studebaker) part number from my parts book. His info said it was a nut, not a race. Called Chuck Collins in Phoenix & spoke with Russ. He said he'd look into it & call me back. So far no calls from either one. My problem is time is of the essence since this truck pulls my Water trailer & although I filled the water tank & have a full load in the trailer 3 grandkids & the wife & I use water. so I cant afford to run low, let alone run dry out here in the boonies.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

My 7E-8E parts catalog shows the front wheel outer cup for 7E-10 and 7E-12 trucks as 1692235, same for 8E trucks. This appears to cross to Timken M12610 cup, 1.969" o.d., 0.550" width, mates with Timken M12649 cone and rollers bearing (Studebaker 1692236). Both parts show up on Amazon for about $10 each. I use yoyopart.com to search for stuff like this.

The two notches in the hub must be there. Look carefully from the back side, wipe as much of the grease away as you can, and feel around for the semi-circular notches. Use a 1/2" diameter brass drift and a small hammer to drive the cups out, tapping gently on the cup on alternate sides.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary, you wouldn't have the inner bearing number too would you? Then I can use one of the old bearings to press in the inner race the rest of the way. Thanks! Your a lifesaver !!!
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Studebaker parts catalog shows the inner cup as 1691881, crosses to Timken 13621. The inner cone and rollers are Studebaker 1691882, Timken 13685. I see some on Amazon, but any good bearing shop should have them or be able to get them quickly. They are not in the Studebaker International catalog, but sometimes a call to SI will turn up a critical part. I wandered through the warehouse in South Bend last week, was amazed (as always) by the mountain of left-over parts. Lots more stuff in Greenfield, too.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Yesterday when I got the brake shoe spring at French Lake, I also bought the bearings and races to have as spares.
          I was surprised that SI didn't list the wheel bearings for my 1950 Commander.

Comment

I want to thank Gary again for his valuable information! It would be a valuable resource on perhaps Bob Johnston's site to list bearings & races with their Studebaker part numbers & the number on those bearings. My first 2 calls were to 2 of our vendors who told me they would look into it & call me back but still as of now, there is no return call, but our forum here & it's community cannot more valuable.
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              Yesterday when I got the brake shoe spring at French Lake, I also bought the bearings and races to have as spares.
              I was surprised that SI didn't list the wheel bearings for my 1950 Commander.
              I found them in the 2015 catalog.
              Nice day to all.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                My 7E-8E parts catalog shows the front wheel outer cup for 7E-10 and 7E-12 trucks as 1692235, same for 8E trucks.

This appears to cross to Timken M12610 cup, 1.969" o.d., 0.550" width, mates with Timken M12649 cone and rollers bearing (Studebaker 1692236).
                1963/67 Thunderbird; 1966/67 Galaxie/LTD with disc brakes; 1969 Mustang Boss 302/429:

C3SZ-1217-A .. Outer Front Wheel Bearing Cup / Marked with BIN: M12610

C3SZ-1216-A .. Outer Front Bearing / Marked with BIN: M12649

BIN: Bearing Industry Number, what auto parts stores and bearing shops go by.

Comment

Rockauto shows them for under $5.00 both bearing and cone.

Comment

Working...
                  X