Thread: 53 Commander DG 200

Commander Member

53 Commander DG 200

The other day, I drove my 53 Commander HT to meet a friend for lunch. It performed flawlessly. An hour and a half later, I go to leave, and the tranny won't go into any gear. Just seemed to stay in neutral. I've had the car for 40 years and 45K miles. The PO had the tranny rebuilt and put in a new torque converter shortly before I got it and it's never given me any trouble.

The only thing I did so far is to clean the screen, which wasn't bad at all. Didn't help. Anyone have any ideas as to the most likely cause?
    Fred

Silver Hawk Member
    Have you checked your fluid level? If a seal went out in route to your destination, it may simply have slowly dripped out on your way there, but was not full enough to move the car to go home. Any drips underneath?
    sals54

President Member
    I f you try to roll the car with the shifter in D or R will it move ? We are trying to figure out if the manual valve is moving when you move the shifter. You may need to drop the pan and have a friend move the shifter thru the quadrant to check if manual valve moves. Next possibility is a stuck valve in the valve body, you need to do a pressure check. A shop manual will give you a direction if you follow the diagnosis tree. Pressure checks are in the pages before the diagnosis section. Good Luck Lou Cote

sounds like the high gear pressure dump valve is stuck open. It is the smaller valve body attached to the main valve body. A small particle can jam it open so it dumps all the fluid back into the pan. It is supposed to do this in direct drive but if it sticks nothing happens. You can take it out and clean it. These are good transmissions but can't tolerate any dirt.

Rob

Commander Member
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I did verify that the manual valve moves with the shifter. The fluid level was good. Next thing to do will be a pressure test. My thoughts are also a stuck valve. Then the shop manual lists broken torque converter pump drive fingers as a possibility, but there was no unusual noise.
    Fred

President Member
    If the torque converter pump drive ears were broken there will be no pressure at all on the pressure gauge test. Lou Cote