No announcement yet.

California DMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As bad as California sound, North Carolina is about the same.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

AAA goes by the DMV book........You will get very little help from them on "collectable vehicles"
      I've had good experience with DMV offices that have personal that give coherent advise on getting your Studebaker CA approved....
      The one go to office that I recommend is the one in Santa Paula CA...........Good luck........

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
        AAA goes by the DMV book........You will get very little help from them on "collectable vehicles"
        I've had good experience with DMV offices that have personal that give coherent advise on getting your Studebaker CA approved....
        The one go to office that I recommend is the one in Santa Paula CA...........Good luck........
        Bakersfield to Santa Paula is 208 miles and a 3 Hr. 20 minute drive round trip. I'd think paying the fees is less painfully.
        Attached Files
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
          Worst DMV in the world is in Calif
          California is not that hard to deal with if you know more then they do and it is all in their books, when I go in with an old classic car more than 25 years old they can not charge you fine or back fees it is all in their book. most need the vin varied. and that is no problem if you know some one that does it and I do know someone, now the hardest part is getting an appointment and waiting the time to go, once there finding a parking spot could be a problem because of the new California thing of getting every one in the state a lic. or ID. the lines are out the door and around the building so the lot is full, even with a appointment and no parking one might miss their appointment. the peice of paper that DMV is most interested in is the statement of fact, I always say I have owned the care for 20 years and lost the title when moving. even if I have an old title in some one name other than mine I don't even use it if the car is not in the system. no sales tax then.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Sal if things get really out of hand at the DMV just realize you were born with a very special power, the power to shoot potent Malocchio's....feel free to employ that ancient and still useful remedy.
            Originally posted by sals54 View Post
            Worst DMV in the world is in Calif

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
              Somewhere I read on a Studebaker forum that there was a lady in CA that was good in straightening out title problems on Studebakers.
              Does anyone have her contact info?
              Former Whittier DMV office manager is a member of SDC, she also sells on ebay (redtoyoubabe).

I lost track of her (she has flaming red hair) when the Whittier office was closed for renovations. She resides in Downey.

I bought a 56J that hadn't been registered in 20 some years.

A few minutes w/a blue pencil, she passed the paperwork back to me, said go to the window and pay the fee.

Comment

That's right Bill, Ronda also helped me get my "Out of the System" '54 Starliner Hardtop back currently CA registered again, then the next year I just non-Opp'ed it and changed from my Calif. friend's Address to my Washington Address, no problem unless I plan to DRIVE it!
                That way, the Title will stay in the Calif. "System" until I register it here.

I do not know if she is still doing that at Downey or not.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  That's right Bill, Ronda also helped me get my "Out of the System" '54 Starliner Hardtop back currently CA registered again, then the next year I just non-Opp'ed it and changed from my Calif. friend's Address to my Washington Address, no problem unless I plan to DRIVE it!
                  That way, the Title will stay in the Calif. "System" until I register it here.

I do not know if she is still doing that at Downey or not.
                  Ronda, couldn't recall her name. She lives in Downey, but when she did 'favors' for me, she was the office manager of the Whittier DMV office.

I also belong to AAA (Auto Club of SoCal). I bought a 62V-K6 off ebay in NY, verified the title before I bought it, then went to AAA, showed the snip of a gal the title, it's a little piece of paper.

Gal said this isn't a title. I said, oh yes it is. Older gal comes over, reaches under the counter, takes out a book that shows a facsimile of EVERY title worldwide. She turned to NY, there it was....the same little piece of paper that passes for a title in NY

I paid the fee, got my new CA plates, went oughtta there happy as a clam.
                  Last edited by WinM1895; 05-12-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) update

OK, so I had my 3:00 appointment today and here is the update.
                    I arrived at 2:55.

First I feel I have to set the scene a bit. The parking lot, which is not huge, had a line of cars orbiting around looking for a place to park. I elected to pass thru the lot and park in the area behind the Jiffy Lube (a quick service oil change place) which is directly behind DMV.

As I walked up and into the building there are small groups of people EVERYTHERE and none of them looked happy. I opened the door and the building is basically one large room with outward facing counter areas labeled "Window 1" to "Window 18". Around the edge of the room is the horde of people waiting to be called to one of these windows. There had to be 80 to 100, easily!

I got in the short line for people with appointments and withing 3 minutes was in front of a window confirming my name, phone number, and appointment time. I was told, "Your name and number will be called in a few minutes." The system calls you by your first and last initials followed by the last 4 digits of your phone. I am sure this system was designed this way so that it is impossible to tell just how many people are ahead of you...

I went to the area in front of Window 2 (which was not being used) and began waiting. At 3:00 an announcement was made that basically said (and I am sure I am paraphrasing), "If you are here for a written test or vehicle identification - the last of both will be at 4:30." This was followed with the phrase, "We are currently experiencing a 6 hour delay and some customers may have to return at a later date." In rapid order I had the following thoughts.
                    1. A 6 hour delay???
                    2. They close in 2 hours...
                    3. I'm here for a vehicle identification!!!
                    4. Oh wait, I have an appointment.

Ten minutes later my name/number is called to Window 17. Well of course - I am at Window 2. By the time I could serpentine though the throng of deodorant challenged masses they had called my name/number again. As I stepped up to Window 17 I started with, "I'm sorry about that - I was obviously standing on the wrong side of the room!"

I will attempt to detail the dialog and will refer to the DMV employee as "clerk" (because I never say a name tag)

clerk: "How may I help you sir?"
                    DT: "My title transfer was rejected? I had AAA assist but DMV did not seem impressed."
                    clerk: (slight laugh as I handed him my paperwork)

clerk: "OK it seems like you owe the 2017/2018 fees."
                    DT: "Ummm the vehicle is one a non-op and I was told it could stay until the 25th when the registration would become operational. I have already paid the 2018/2019 fees."
                    clerk: "No, the system shows it to be not on a non-op. It looks like AAA took it off."
                    DT: "That was not what was suppose to happen, why would I do that?"
                    clerk: "Let me take this to my supervisor." (he then takes my paperwork plus some freshly printed papers towards the center of the room)

clerk: (upon returning) "OK, I going to attempt to put in a future date for when you will have the vehicle road worthy. If the system does not allow this you will have to pay the back fees or reschedule an appointment for after the 25th."
                    DT: "OK"
                    clerk: "Well it looks like they system took the future date. I will need to give you new plates."
                    DT: OK?
                    clerk: "You need to fill out this form attesting that you will destroy the plates when you get home." (hands me a form)
                    DT: "I am happy to destroy DMV property."

clerk: (while flipping thru multiple plate envelops) "Can I see your paperwork again? Oh, it looks like the system assigned you plates at AAA."
                    DT: "YES it did.":
                    clerk: "Then we are good."
                    DT: "great"

clerk: "OK, item 2. They want proof that the vehicle was not in operation during the non-op period???? I think we are good."
                    DT: "Great!"

clerk: "Item 3, must have VIN verified. Do you have the vehicle here?"
                    DT: "No, its on a non-op."
                    clerk: "Oh, that's right. Well you will need to have the Highway Patrol verify the VIN."
                    DT: "Well the problem is the vehicle is so old there is no VIN. There is a serial number." (I then showed a printed page with 4 photos, one being the serial number plate)
                    clerk: "Hmmm, do you have a photo that shows the whole vehicle?"
                    DT: (with much excitement) "What angle would you like to see?" (as I opened my '50 service manual and pulled 6 more pages of photos)
                    clerk: (after I had him a page of photos) "Let me show this to my supervisor."

clerk: (upon returning for the second time) "Looks like we are good."
                    DT: "GREAT." (at this point I was super excited as this meant I do NOT need to see the Highway Patrol)

clerk: "Item 4, Correct vehicle manufacturer - Studebaker?" (pause for effect) I think we just did that."
                    DT: "Yes we did!"

He then says that will be $59. Now I don't know what this is for but I was super happy to pay it. I was good to go and all of this business is behind me. I pay the money and he asks, "Is there anything else I can help with?"

Now this is were I knew what I was saying may not be the right thing. I could hear the words coming out of my mouth but my brain was screaming for me to stop. I said, "Well there is one more thing. The year is wrong on the title." Dead silence. He looked at me with that look of "Oh man, you just blew it." look. Calmly he said, "You will need the California Highway Patrol to verify this." My instant reply was, "Can I notice this when I get my new title and handle it then?" He replied with, "Take care of what?" as he handed me my paperwork and wished me a nice day.

So, I will still need the California Highway Patrol to verify the year of the Studebaker. I am sure I will be the one explaining to them how this is possible due to the serial number and body tag but....

In the end I was only at DMV for 45 minutes and the clerk was VERY helpful. I think he was just glad I was not upset at all. I had no beef with him or DMV and was only interested in getting this resolved. And we are almost there!
                    DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
                    1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

Unless the title says its a '53 or later I'd forget about it, to a civilian they all look the same anyway right. As long as the VID/ID number (whatever number you got away with) is the same on the car and the paper you're good.

Comment

Your lucky to find a parking spot and not miss your appointment. What the state of California is trying to do is get every body set up with a new Lic. and ID. card and don't really give a sh...t about people with paper work on a car.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Got my renewal notice in the mail today. 1956 Power Hawk is $120. Last year it was $82. Man Jerry Brown sucks worse then he did the first time people were stupid enough to vote for him.

Comment

If you have trouble again or anyone else in California with the non op or back fees when you buy a vehicle, fill out a "statement of facts" form (you can get it at the DMV or online), then prepare to ask for a supervisor (and a fight). No one needs to pay back fees or current fees (for a title change only) if you just bought the car.

California DMV sucks, but it's VERY helpful if you know the laws better then them. Do your research first, I used to buy/get a official Vehicle Code book every other year, not sure if they're in print anymore or just online now.

Warren, how do you like it there?. I'm looking at Williams (and surrounding areas) when I retire in 8 years, I want cooler weather, less people and land for a work shop. I was in Perris at the beginning of this month...it was quite warm.

Comment

You know, I've never had a lick of trouble with California's DMV - including the six-month period during which a patient and helpful line clerk helped me legitimize and register my first car, an ex-Atomic Energy Commission '59 Lark I had bought in my 17-year-old ignorance with a bill of sale but without a pink slip. But then, regardless of how I feel about somebody's politics, I generally manage to keep my opinions out of forums like this one. Maybe I just get better better help from public servants because I treat them like friends and neighbors instead of beaching at them about rules and regulations over which they have no control. These people are required to establish a series of facts regarding your car the same way, and for the same reasons, as a title search is required when you buy real estate. These requirements are for your (or actually, your insurance company's) protection and they all look very, very different when your car has been stolen and modified and they help trip up the bad guys. BTDT; Just sayin'.

As for OP:

A Statement of Facts from the previous owner is required, along with a Statement of Facts from you, stating the car has never touched a publicly-maintained road during the entire '17-'18 registration year, in order for a Non-Op to be a valid substitute for reg fees for that year. Technically, this means the vehicle has to have been TRAILERED from private property to private property to complete the sale. The registration fees for that year should be all of about $100, an amount I'd happily pay to save the trouble of sending certified letters to the previous owner and filling out Statements of Facts. I went through that with my Lark. My Lark also required CHP VIN verification, which took all of about fifteen minutes once I'd gotten the car running and taped my red temp sticker into the back window. This inspection also corrected the question of the "STUDE(?)" manufacturer claim - the clerk's not necessarily indicating they've never heard of Studebakers; they're just indicating they want the CHP verifier to confirm that this car still is one. Vehicles let go to Non-Ops very often come back to roadworthiness looking very much like something other than what they started as.

All the rest can be cleared up - or at least streamlined - by making an appointment to take your entire Report of Deposit of Fees packet to a registration clerk in the DMV directly. AAA are subcontractors, and they handle routine work reasonably well. But they are NOT DMV employees and are therefore NOT trained in how to handle unusual cases or authorized to make any exceptions. Working directly with a DMV reg clerk and supervisor will get you the straightest scoop available with the minimum of time and agitation and outlay of funds.
                              Last edited by JGK 940; 05-16-2018, 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                                Got my renewal notice in the mail today. 1956 Power Hawk is $120. Last year it was $82. Man Jerry Brown sucks worse then he did the first time people were stupid enough to vote for him.
                                We have all republican government in Indiana and our car related fees sound higher than CA. The proceedure sounds about the same.
                                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                                X