2R5 horn button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 2R5 horn button

I'm wondering if someone can advise me about the best way to remove ('pry'?) the horn button from the center of my steering wheel? I've rebuilt the horn and now I'd like to check the horn button.

I enjoyed meeting some of you last weekend at the swap meet in South Bend.

Thanks,

Mark in Ohio

should just push in while turning counter clockwise and lift off. Three (3) catches.
    Ted Taylor
    Haddon Heights, NJ - USA
    "TaylorMadeClassicCars" on the WWW and Facebook

Comment

not a bad idea to put some white lube or equal to the 3 tang edges on install...

Comment

Originally posted by tedtaylor View Post
        should just push in while turning counter clockwise and lift off. Three (3) catches.
        Thanks for explaining how to remove the horn button cover plate on the steering wheel Ted. You gave a good description; and the other comment about putting grease on the tabs when I reinstall it was also helpful. OK, here's what happened next:

I connected wires from the horn and touched them directly to the battery. The horn honks loud and clear.

However, when I connect the same wires from the horn, to the wires that are supposed to go to the horn, all I get is a very faint vibration and a barely audible sound. What do you guys think the problem is... the horn relay? The horn button itself?

Thanks for your replies and for your help,

Mark in Ohio

Comment

You can ground the horn relay horn button terminal and see how it blows. If it blows correctly, then the problem is between that terminal and the horn button.

You can short the battery and horn terminals on the relay. If it still doesn't blow correctly, then it's the wire between the battery and relay or relay and horn.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            You can ground the horn relay horn button terminal and see how it blows. If it blows correctly, then the problem is between that terminal and the horn button.

You can short the battery and horn terminals on the relay. If it still doesn't blow correctly, then it's the wire between the battery and relay or relay and horn.
            ===================

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Here's a photo. Is this the horn relay? There are TWO of them-- one on either side-- and they sit in behind the headlight. The photo is taken looking forward from the inside of the engine compartment (as if you were in the passenger seat.)
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, I took your advice-- and Skip's-- and took steel wool to where the horn button makes contact inside the steering wheel. Then I cleaned some rust from the frame, where the horn mounts, to get a better ground. Finally I took steel wool to some oxidation/corrosion on the wires that go to the horn. And?

And now the horn works like a champ, loud and clear. Hooray~! Thanks for your help.

"Somewhere down the road" I may add a second horn. But not today. We made good progress and I'l leave well enough alone. "It ain't broke" so there's no need to fix it.

Rewiring my truck front to back is the next task. Do you know of anyone in my area that is qualified to do that?

Thanks again,

Mark in Ohio - 1951 2R5
              603-369-7902
              mkibler@alumni.unity.edu
              Last edited by mkibler; 05-10-2018, 08:08 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

"Is this the horn relay?"

What you've pictured is a junction block; designed to split power to different devices, & also allow electrical devices to be disconnected without cutting wires.
                Perhaps those two doubled up wires run to the other such block, and then on to power the other side's headlights?

The horn relay should be a rectangular tin box, mebbe 1 inch wide x 2 inches x 2 inches.
                Not sure exactly where it will be on your car, but its wired somewhere between the horn and the steering wheel horn wire.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                  "Is this the horn relay?"

What you've pictured is a junction block; designed to split power to different devices, & also allow electrical devices to be disconnected without cutting wires...

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. This is helpful. Now I know the difference between a horn relay and a junction box. It seems that my truck has no horn relay on the radiator housing.

After removing the horn button and using steel wool to remove some corrosion on the contacts (and the wires at the horn end), the horn is working now. Thanks~!

Comment

Horn relays are usually on the firewall and have 3 terminals, and 2 mounting screws.
                    I was reading the other day about some vehicles with only one horn that didn't use a horn relay. I don't recall which vehicles it was though.
                    The wires in your terminal strip picture above look good. If all your wiring looks that good, I'd leave it alone.
                    If the insulation is falling off when you touch it, then it's time for new wires.

Comment

There are some folks in the TW that sell Wiring.

Comment

Working...
                      X