Thread: Nissan Avanti?

Nissan Avanti?

Should have at least used a Tesla.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Avanti...ta8hXa&vxp=mtr
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

The color of it turns me off more than anything.

Craig

I only have one question. Why?

President Member
    A good color if you like Pepto-Bismol. But seriously, you at least have to appreciate all the planning and hard work he did to put the car together.

And working machine guns could come in handy sometimes these days.

Everybody needs a good friend to say "Whoa there pardner you sure you wanna do that?" It just seems crazy to do this. Taking a high performance car and making it an economy car. Seems like a tough sell to find that one person in a million who might want a low performance Avanti.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

You know what, I don't mind the car as it is. Color is questionable, but then we own a Dusk Rose (Pink) 57 T-Bird and I'm thinking of painting the 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop to 3 tone, pink, grey& white.
    I would try to change the steering wheel to something less Nissian, but with all the electronics in that wheel, maybe somehow just disguise it.
    Not very interested in the fogger, (many Studebakers did that anyway) machine guns, ejector seat, flipp'n license plate or whatever else it does for entertainment.
    It would make a nice driver, conversation piece while promoting the Avanti/Studebaker name.
    I appreciate the work involved and wonder if this is the future of "Old Car Collecting" after all the new laws for environmental protection were to take place and go berserk. All we would have left are the bodies of the beautiful cars we grew up with.
    OK, stepping down off of the soapbox.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Whoa.............that's what happens when Mary Kay marries Thomas Edison.

Speedster Member
    Perfect color for breast cancer survivors !

The only thing I see wrong with it is an 85 mile range. What the heck are you going to do with that? Drive from one town to the next then rent a motel room to recharge it, then off to the next town. It would take forever to get anywhere. I guess it's just a grocery getter.

Speedster Member
    Color aside, you have to appreciate the engineering that went into the melding of the 1979 Avanti onto a Nissan Leaf chassis, with all electronics and drivetrain.
    the range might be 85 miles, but most commutes are 20 miles or less in many cities..... When bettery technology improves, this could possibly have increased range.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well then, this is certainly a juxtaposition of new and old. Looking at the photos, the only two things I can really fault this car on are the stupid looking "angel eyes" headlights and the Nissan steering wheel. I just wish there was a way to make it less obvious that it is a Nissan wheel. I do wonder if that Dubble Bubble paintwork is factory correct though.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

President Member
    Well, a lot of work and good fit and finish. The 150 HP Leaf motors ought to make it Fly.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I think you guys missed the best part of the ad~

"In 1963 Ian Fleming owned an Avanti (said it drove better than an Aston Martin DB7). So as an homage to the author of “James Bond” I have installed a smoke screen machine, flipping licence plates and machine guns which are hidden behind the front signal lights. All are controlled remotely so they can be operated form outside or inside the car. If you are interested I can send a video of these all operating. The machine guns are spectacular ! The front signal lenses pop up and machine gun barrels come out, just like 007's first car. A flip of a button and the licence plates change. Another button press and a smoke screen comes out the rear of the car (via a harmless commercial fog machine). These displays are great at a car show .... just stand back and operate them one by one."

StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Champion Member
    I didn't miss it; I ignored it. As long as I'm at it, the color isn't the best either.

Golden Hawk Member
    I like the car with two major exceptions; 1) the price and 2) the Pepto-Bismol color.
    Little things like the wheels and the steering wheel can be improved by putting "Avanti" stickers or emblems in the center.
    Last edited by studegary; 05-11-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: corrrectd ! to 1
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    You know what, I don't mind the car as it is. Color is questionable, but then we own a Dusk Rose (Pink) 57 T-Bird and I'm thinking of painting the 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop to 3 tone, pink, grey& white.
    Nissan offered a darker shade of metallic blue a few years ago that would actually suit an Avanti and make it look good.

As has been stated in many other threads, a color that looks great on one model and year of car looks downright horrid on a different car.

Craig

Funny that Ian Fleming said in 1963 that the Avanti drove better than aAston Martin DB7. . .
    Ever seen a -63 DB7? oh... snigger!

& that steeringwheel + dashboard would be on the scrap-pile if it was mine & fast too.
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-10-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

The Aston Martin DB7 didn't come out until 1994. 1963 would have been a DB4 or DB5. (DB4 '58-'63 and 2017, DB5 '63-'65)

Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    The Aston Martin DB7 didn't come out until 1994. 1963 would have been a DB4 or DB5. (DB4 '58-'63 and 2017, DB5 '63-'65)
    I wouldn't kick this modern rendition out of my garage: http://www.davidbrownautomotive.com/speedback-gt/

Craig

President Member

President Member
    DSC_0287[2].jpgRefueling our Avanti courtesy of Tesla.

Amazing engineering and like Studebaker ahead of its time. Fast forward 50 years and gasoline may not be available for whatever reason and we are scamblimg for this technology in our old cars. Like or not it started a discussion and that is what projects and art is about... It's a cool idea and he didn't gut an R2. No foul in my book.

President Member
    Well if it entices you so much, why not put in a good substantial bid?
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I like the car with two major exceptions; 1) the price and 2) the Pepto-Bismol color.
    Little things like the wheels and the steering wheel can be improved by putting "Avanti" stickers or emblems in the center.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    I like that car too.
    As far as the color goes, Y'all know I'm color blind, so that doesn't bother me in the least.
    Back in the '60's I wore a pink shirt several times before someone told me I shouldn't wear it because it was pink. I didn't know males weren't supposed to wear pink shirts. I thought it was off white (what I used to call dark white before so many people made fun of my ignorance I dropped that color description from my vocabulary).

And there's nothing wrong with the Nissan emblems that a little pink spray paint won't fix.

I'd buy it and drive it just the way it is. But, I'm $38,999.00 short.
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 05-12-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Taking a high performance car and making it an economy car.
    A high performance car????

A 1979 Chevrolet 350 CI slug. 0-60 in 9.3 seconds.
    Man, I love Chevrolets but calling that a performance car is a strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrech.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Once upon a time diesel came about but still in the late 50's steam machines were made, when the first jet fighters came the Super Marine Spitfire with quite some engine & double propellers were seriously fast (& they could glide if needed) & so on, battery-"fueled" cars & other clean stuff is a mighty good busines now, it's like nuclear power; clean here & now but there's the garbage to handle for our grandkids...
    & in my opinion the best way to save the earth is to take care(!) of stuff we already have...
    & steam power runs on anything that burns!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Golden Hawk Member
    Everybody needs a good friend to say "Whoa there pardner you sure you wanna do that?" It just seems crazy to do this. Taking a high performance car and making it an economy car. Seems like a tough sell to find that one person in a million who might want a low performance Avanti.
    I do not consider a stock Avanti II to be a "performance car". The first time that I drove an all electric car, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it was off the line and in normal local driving, as compared to a gasoline powered similar car. Remember, an electric car has full torque right away, not later (at higher RPMs).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Thunderations wrote "...but then we own a Dusk Rose (Pink) 57 T-Bird and I'm thinking of painting the 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop to 3 tone, pink, grey& white."

The exact color combo that I'm considering for my '55 President State sedan!

The first time that I drove an all electric car, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it was off the line and in normal local driving, as compared to a gasoline powered similar car. Remember, an electric car has full torque right away, not later (at higher RPMs ).
    EXACTLY! They like to call the Prius an other "hybrids" slow, dogs or slugs. But the reality is their drivers are driving them as though they only have a 70 HP gas engine motivating those 3300Lb cars. If driven properly they are quick! Granted there's not much there after you get up on a cruise. In my gen 1 Prius I'm usually 500+ feet from the intersection before the guy behind me at the light clears the limit line (as long as there's no slug in front of me).

President Member
    The DB-5 was brand new in 64. The movie car was a DB-4 rebadged as a 5 cause the factory could not provide a5. You might also note that the DB-7 came out in the 90's, but Ian Flemming passed away in 1964. A voice from beyond the grave.

Ian Fleming Avanti.jpg
    Just for the feel of it...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    The DB-5 was brand new in 64. The movie car was a DB-4 rebadged as a 5 cause the factory could not provide a5.

According to everything I've read Aston-Martin provided the first DB-5 prototype to the production company plus one more as one was the special effects car and the other for filming other scenes. I've seen the special effects car in person a few years before it was stolen from a locked and guarded hanger in Florida (how that happened is anyone's guess).

The production company first approached Jaguar about supplying a XKE for Goldfinger and Jaguar declined so the producers then went to Aston-Martin and the rest, as they say, is history. I guess Jaguar must have realized the huge mistake they made but too late.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Will an Avanti do over 160 MPH?
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitehawk. 9 View Post
    Will an Avanti do over 160 MPH?
    It depends, ask Jim Lange!

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

I do not consider a stock Avanti II to be a "performance car". The first time that I drove an all electric car, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it was off the line and in normal local driving, as compared to a gasoline powered similar car. Remember, an electric car has full torque right away, not later (at higher RPMs).
    To me an Avanti will always be that car that went 177 mph on the bonneville salt flats with the Granetelli brothers. Try that in a Nissan Leaf..... Also remember it was in 1963 (or so). I suggest someone name a car built anywhere that would go 177 mph in 1963 with four passenger stock body and near stock engine.

That is faster than a GT 250 Ferrari GTO race car. The most successful racing sports car of that era....much smaller and two seats and a full race engine.

I'm pretty sure nothing of its time with seats for four will touch the Avanti on top speed.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 05-15-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Golden Hawk Member
    To me an Avanti will always be that car that went 177 mph on the bonneville salt flats with the Granetelli brothers. Try that in a Nissan Leaf..... Also remember it was in 1963 (or so). I suggest someone name a car built anywhere that would go 177 mph in 1963 with four passenger stock body and near stock engine.

That is faster than a GT 250 Ferrari GTO race car. The most successful racing sports car of that era....much smaller and two seats and a full race engine.

I'm pretty sure nothing of its time with seats for four will touch the Avanti on top speed.
    Does top speed make a difference? Where can you go that fast in the USA? The fastest that I have gone in recent years was 114 MPH because the V6 was computer limited. The zero to 30 MPH of an electric is more related to today's normal driving.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

To each his own. If we all liked the same thing it would be boring for sure!

Golden Hawk Member
    To each his own. If we all liked the same thing it would be boring for sure!
    Thank you for a reasonable response. It is not that I have anything against stock Avantis. I have owned them new and used.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968