• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan Avanti?

Should have at least used a Tesla.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

The color of it turns me off more than anything.

Craig

Comment

I only have one question. Why?
      I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

A good color if you like Pepto-Bismol. But seriously, you at least have to appreciate all the planning and hard work he did to put the car together.

And working machine guns could come in handy sometimes these days.

Comment

Everybody needs a good friend to say "Whoa there pardner you sure you wanna do that?" It just seems crazy to do this. Taking a high performance car and making it an economy car. Seems like a tough sell to find that one person in a million who might want a low performance Avanti.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

You know what, I don't mind the car as it is. Color is questionable, but then we own a Dusk Rose (Pink) 57 T-Bird and I'm thinking of painting the 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop to 3 tone, pink, grey& white.
            I would try to change the steering wheel to something less Nissian, but with all the electronics in that wheel, maybe somehow just disguise it.
            Not very interested in the fogger, (many Studebakers did that anyway) machine guns, ejector seat, flipp'n license plate or whatever else it does for entertainment.
            It would make a nice driver, conversation piece while promoting the Avanti/Studebaker name.
            I appreciate the work involved and wonder if this is the future of "Old Car Collecting" after all the new laws for environmental protection were to take place and go berserk. All we would have left are the bodies of the beautiful cars we grew up with.
            OK, stepping down off of the soapbox.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Whoa.............that's what happens when Mary Kay marries Thomas Edison.

Comment

Perfect color for breast cancer survivors !

Comment

The only thing I see wrong with it is an 85 mile range. What the heck are you going to do with that? Drive from one town to the next then rent a motel room to recharge it, then off to the next town. It would take forever to get anywhere. I guess it's just a grocery getter.

Comment

Color aside, you have to appreciate the engineering that went into the melding of the 1979 Avanti onto a Nissan Leaf chassis, with all electronics and drivetrain.
                    the range might be 85 miles, but most commutes are 20 miles or less in many cities..... When bettery technology improves, this could possibly have increased range.
                    Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Well then, this is certainly a juxtaposition of new and old. Looking at the photos, the only two things I can really fault this car on are the stupid looking "angel eyes" headlights and the Nissan steering wheel. I just wish there was a way to make it less obvious that it is a Nissan wheel. I do wonder if that Dubble Bubble paintwork is factory correct though.
                      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Well, a lot of work and good fit and finish. The 150 HP Leaf motors ought to make it Fly.
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I think you guys missed the best part of the ad~

"In 1963 Ian Fleming owned an Avanti (said it drove better than an Aston Martin DB7). So as an homage to the author of “James Bond” I have installed a smoke screen machine, flipping licence plates and machine guns which are hidden behind the front signal lights. All are controlled remotely so they can be operated form outside or inside the car. If you are interested I can send a video of these all operating. The machine guns are spectacular ! The front signal lenses pop up and machine gun barrels come out, just like 007's first car. A flip of a button and the licence plates change. Another button press and a smoke screen comes out the rear of the car (via a harmless commercial fog machine). These displays are great at a car show .... just stand back and operate them one by one."

StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I didn't miss it; I ignored it. As long as I'm at it, the color isn't the best either.

Comment

I like the car with two major exceptions; 1) the price and 2) the Pepto-Bismol color.
                              Little things like the wheels and the steering wheel can be improved by putting "Avanti" stickers or emblems in the center.
                              Last edited by studegary; 05-11-2018, 05:04 PM. Reason: corrrectd ! to 1
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X