Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: INTERSTATE Group 24 Battery

  1. #1
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    19

    INTERSTATE Group 24 Battery

    I needed a new battery so I did what I usually do before I make a purchase. I searched the forum.

    I found out I had a dying Group 24F battery in our Lark. So I decided to go with the recommendation of purchasing a Interstate brand battery since they carry the correct Group 24, heck they even list Studebakers on their website. After looking at the list of batteries on line I decided to go with the cheapie $100 value model (yea right, a hundred buck is cheap) and the reason I wanted this black one is I want to try to keep the engine compartment as nostalgic looking as possible.

    So I walk in and let me tell you, Interstate Battery stores have some great stuff on the shelf, connectors, terminals, all kinds of cool stuff. So anyway, I told the counter guy what I wanted, no prob, it's in stock. Then I told him I really wanted a better battery but I wanted it in a black case, can I do a special order? So he tells me that they have batteries for AAA that are all black and the MTP-24 version in stock. Stock guy grabs it and brings it out...Perfect all black, 6 year, 700 cca, G24 battery. The part number for AAA is a little different its a MTP-124, he figures out how to ring it up and bam! $152 out the door with core. Hell yea! The price may be a little high for some but I'm happy with it.

    Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    JOE

    --------------------------------------------------

    "After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is said than done"
    Clark Olmstead

  2. #2
    Silver Hawk Member JoeHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    6,023
    Nice match up!

  3. #3
    President Member tsenecal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Elko NV
    Posts
    501
    That's cool. I have run Interstate for years with very good luck. We just have repair shop vendors here, but can go through their catalog, and have it in a week.

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,261
    I hate those bright green batteries, especially in older vehicles.
    I understand that Interstate is changing the appearance of their batteries very soon.

    EDIT: I see that you received a nice new battery that was only made last month. Some places keep batteries in stock for long periods of time. That is something to check when purchasing.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  5. #5
    President Member bensherb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tracy / Goleta Ca.
    Posts
    663
    Not sure of the number, but the Interstate battery I bought at Costco for my Stude was all black and under $90. My Prius eats a 12V battery at least evey 2 years. The last one I got at Costco it killed in less than that. They gave me a new battery and 12 bucks back too. Oh, both of them were all black too.

  6. #6
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Great Falls VA
    Posts
    3,254
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    Not sure of the number, but the Interstate battery I bought at Costco for my Stude was all black and under $90. They gave me a new battery and 12 bucks back too. Oh, both of them were all black too.
    Costco used to sell Kirkland batteries. Whosever real brand they were is ?, but they didn't last 3 years. Earlier this year one of mine went ( I had 3). On return to Costco, they refunded me a LOT more than was paid for it and I was a bit thrilled and confused. That is, until going to the Battery store, found that the new batteries they sell are Interstate and to get a warranty replacement you had to pay a lot more for the same quality battery. Interstate are good batteries, I'm happy
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North Pittsburgh, ,PA .
    Posts
    1,312
    It never hurts to buy a stronger battery than stock, and Interstate batteries have always been excellent quality. Sounds like you did well.

  8. #8
    President Member bensherb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tracy / Goleta Ca.
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    Costco used to sell Kirkland batteries. Whosever real brand they were is ?, but they didn't last 3 years. Earlier this year one of mine went ( I had 3). On return to Costco, they refunded me a LOT more than was paid for it and I was a bit thrilled and confused. That is, until going to the Battery store, found that the new batteries they sell are Interstate and to get a warranty replacement you had to pay a lot more for the same quality battery. Interstate are good batteries, I'm happy
    Costco here hasn't sold Kirkland labled batteries in many years, since then it's been Interstate. I've been buying batteries from them more than 20 years, and haven't had any problem with them lasting 5-6 years except that Prius. They've always been very good about exchanging good for bad with it.

  9. #9
    Golden Hawk Member rockne10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa, USA.
    Posts
    13,881
    I believe all Interstate batteries are going to be black. They are touting it as their new look.
    I suspect it simply means they will be able to use all recycled plastics instead of the familiar green and translucent cases. Which, don't get me wrong, is fine with me. When it comes to plastics I think it should be 100% recycled, re-purposed or replaced.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

    Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

  10. #10
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA, USA.
    Posts
    95
    I've had Kirkland batteries last for 5 to 6 years too! Of course I also had good luck with Walmart, Exide, Deka, Advance, Tractor Supply etc .....

    BTW, Kirkland and Interstate do not make batteries. They are a marketing company. There are only 3 major lead acid battery manufacturers in the whole US. Good chance that Interstate battery was made by Johnson Controls or Exide Batteries.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Batteries

    Note there is a Studebaker connection at the start of Interstate Battery's distribution.
    Frank DuVal

    50 Commander 4 door

  11. #11
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    1146 Simmons Gap Rd., Dyke, VA 22935
    Posts
    193
    A size 26 battery has the terminals in the right place and is a bit smaller (and lighter) than a size 24. That puts a bit less weight on the fiberglass battery tray of an Avanti. Modern batteries have more CCA's than batteries in 1963, so the size 26 should be adequate for our needs today in our Studebakers. Comments?
    -Dwight

  12. #12
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,546
    Dwight, I have run a group 24 in my Avanti for 50 years.....that being said, you should (if you have not already) put a custom battery support under the battery tray.....it attaches to the frame, and takes the entire weight off the fiberglass inner fender!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    A size 26 battery has the terminals in the right place and is a bit smaller (and lighter) than a size 24. That puts a bit less weight on the fiberglass battery tray of an Avanti. Modern batteries have more CCA's than batteries in 1963, so the size 26 should be adequate for our needs today in our Studebakers. Comments?
    -Dwight

  13. #13
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Above the Equator
    Posts
    1,708
    Does it not stand to reason that if all battery cases are the same (for a given Group size) and one has more CCA's than the other that the spun lead matting is likely thinner (to increase surface area) in the higher (some call "stronger") CCA battery? And wouldn't that thinner spun lead matting be more suceptible to deteriration? So, while a higher CCA battery may be deemed "stronger" in a cranking sense, it might be weaker in a durability sense. I'd think a higher CCA and possibly more durable battery would be to move up to a 27 Group battery.

    That said, I've seen the much hearld NAPA batteries die in 18 and 36 months and OEMs go 14 years in a few cases. So, in many cases it seems a crap shoot.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

  14. #14
    President Member TWChamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,945
    Often times the more CCA batteries have lead plates that reach down more in the case, which gives them more surface area.
    I think the deep cycle batteries have thicker plates.

  15. #15
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Above the Equator
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    Often times the more CCA batteries have lead plates that reach down more in the case, which gives them more surface area.
    I think the deep cycle batteries have thicker plates.
    That may be accurate. However, that puts the plates closer to the settling lead particles sitting at the bottom ripe for creating shorts.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

  16. #16
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    27,518
    I see that if you buy the Interstate Powerfast Series, 530 CA, 18 Month, "cheapy" for only $100.00, you are NOT a CASO or even Economy Minded!

    You are "Value Minded"!! The PC alternative!

    DO NOT let ANY Batt. seller sell you the Group 34 "replacement" Batteries, they have the wrong HEIGHT to fit properly.

    Does their Group 24 fit the Hold Down and Stock "J" Bolts etc. OK?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  17. #17
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Westbrook, MN
    Posts
    505
    My friendly local mechanic says they were great batteries, but, like every other company, they "outsourced" and they are not so hot any more. It is luck more than anything. Couple days ago had to replace the battery in my little tractor; it was 11 years old (New Holland) The counter guy sold me a new one that looked just like it for $100 and a guarantee that it would not last 11 years.

  18. #18
    President Member swvalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    princeton mn
    Posts
    2,872
    I will bet you if you look at your old battery that lasted a long time before you turn it in you will see made in the USA. your new one will most likely say made in China.

  19. #19
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    27,518
    I use "Alaska Gold" Batteries, they are sold at my Local Auto Electric Shop that rebuilds my Starters and Generators.

    They are supposed to have CAST Lead Plates instead of the pressed/stamped type that the cheapy's sold at Auto Parts Stores have.

    These have a LOT of CA & CCA's for the Price.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  20. #20
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Above the Equator
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
    I will bet you if you look at your old battery that lasted a long time before you turn it in you will see made in the USA. your new one will most likely say made in China.
    Actually most likely say it was made in Mexico. The cost of shipping likely still favors Mexico over China.

    Curious, if you take a shorted 900 CCA battery, cut it open and scrape out all the lead deposits shorting it out in the bottom, then put it back together, maybe you get a 500 CCA functional battery???
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

  21. #21
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,546
    Hate is a very strong word, dislike would be more appropriate..
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I hate those bright green batteries, especially in older vehicles.
    I understand that Interstate is changing the appearance of their batteries very soon.

    EDIT: I see that you received a nice new battery that was only made last month. Some places keep batteries in stock for long periods of time. That is something to check when purchasing.

  22. #22
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    Hate is a very strong word, dislike would be more appropriate..
    Hate is an intense dislike. How do you know how strongly I feel about something? Dislike MAY be more appropriate for you, but not for me.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  23. #23
    President Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North Pittsburgh, ,PA .
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    My friendly local mechanic says they were great batteries, but, like every other company, they "outsourced" and they are not so hot any more. It is luck more than anything. Couple days ago had to replace the battery in my little tractor; it was 11 years old (New Holland) The counter guy sold me a new one that looked just like it for $100 and a guarantee that it would not last 11 years.
    A new selling tool for battery guarantees! Guarantee that a battery WON'T last a certain period of time . I love it! At least there won't be any misunderstandings later on.

  24. #24
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,546
    Interstate battery was formed by John Searchy in 1952..............he hauled batteries around in the back of his Studebaker p/u!

  25. #25
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,546
    So in other words you would categorize and ascribe that word to batteries and lets say neo-Nazis? Glad I did not attend English classes in your former schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Hate is an intense dislike. How do you know how strongly I feel about something? Dislike MAY be more appropriate for you, but not for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •