No announcement yet.

INTERSTATE Group 24 Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well ok now......you "dislike" the color of the battery......that makes more sense, I try to never use the word "hate", I believe it's use demands unusually human or associated conditions.
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    My education was fine. Your definition of the word is much narrower/different than my definition or the prime definition in my dictionary ("dislike intensely").

I do not dislike the batteries. I dislike the color of the battery when in the engine compartment of an old car.

Comment

BTW, the Interstate MTP-24 in my Avanti has been in there for years now, I just use a battery tender on it during the long NYS winter......that being said, the repair shop I utilize has always swapped out bad batteries for me and those I have referred there......Interstate has always backed their products.

Comment

My battery died from sitting a year ( my health , not a problem with truck) I went to farm and fleet , they had a sale and a group 78 ( same size as a 24 both side and top terminals was $89 with 800 cranking amps . Since mine is a streetrod and battery is in toolbox in bed , I didn't care what color it is. My battery sits in a Douglas DC 8 battery box .
        Attached Files
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Even though the battery sat for a year, I'd stick it on a 6 amp charger for 24 hours and see if it will come back to life. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. Check the battery once in a while when it's being charged, and if it feels like it's getting hot, then unplug the charger and buy a new battery.

Comment

There was a JC Whitney product called VX-6 or something similar. It was supposed to restore a battery with sulphated plates.

It worked for me and restored a battery that would not take/hold a charge.

A friend of mine said VX-6 was basically Epsom salts. Who knows?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It's not around any more but there are similar products available. $6 at Wal-Mart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charge-It...&wl13=&veh=sem

Comment

Studebaker International was selling the blue battery rejuvenator stuff on their bargain table a couple weeks ago. I bought a couple, and think I only paid $1 or $2 each. I used some in 1973 on my 1952 Land Cruiser battery, and it worked good, but within a couple months the local thieves vandalized my car and stole the radio, battery, and radiator. They probably sold the parts for a couple bucks for drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  Even though the battery sat for a year, I'd stick it on a 6 amp charger for 24 hours and see if it will come back to life. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. Check the battery once in a while when it's being charged, and if it feels like it's getting hot, then unplug the charger and buy a new battery.
                  Fairly recently, I purchased a car at auction that had not been run for more than one year, probably two (estate settlement). Others thought that the battery (12 volt) was long gone (the car was new enough for the battery to be drawn down by the computer, alarm system, etc.). It had even gone through below freezing temperatures. I decided that there was no harm in trying to bring it back. I had the car in my driveway and stayed away from it while charging. I used one of my six amp maximum chargers. I put it on for several hours per day for a few days straight. The battery came back to life and worked fine, at least until sometime later when I sold the car.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interstate battery was formed by John Searchy in 1952..............he hauled batteries around in the back of his Studebaker p/u!
                    Yes, even back at the beginning, Interstate was just marketing batteries made by others. John was out selling batteries from his pick-up, not running a manufacturing plant.

Next we should discuss oil brands!

And they say no religious discussions on this site....
                    Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                      A size 26 battery has the terminals in the right place and is a bit smaller (and lighter) than a size 24. That puts a bit less weight on the fiberglass battery tray of an Avanti. Modern batteries have more CCA's than batteries in 1963, so the size 26 should be adequate for our needs today in our Studebakers. Comments?
                      -Dwight
                      Dwight all those with Avantis should install the support brace under the battery box, no longer have to be concerned with the weight of the battery causing the battery case to split. Jon Myer sells the battery box brace.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        My friendly local mechanic says they were great batteries, but, like every other company, they "outsourced" and they are not so hot any more. It is luck more than anything. Couple days ago had to replace the battery in my little tractor; it was 11 years old (New Holland) The counter guy sold me a new one that looked just like it for $100 and a guarantee that it would not last 11 years.
                        I love it. An honest salesman. Our Maytag dish washer gave up the ghost after 20 years of faithful service and I wanted to replace it with another of the same brand. I asked the salesman about the guarantee and he said it was 6 years and he doubted it very much if it would last any longer than that. They just don't make stuff like they used to...batteries included.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post

I love it. An honest salesman. Our Maytag dish washer gave up the ghost after 20 years of faithful service and I wanted to replace it with another of the same brand. I asked the salesman about the guarantee and he said it was 6 years and he doubted it very much if it would last any longer than that. They just don't make stuff like they used to...batteries included.
                          I feel your pain Earle, our New Maytag dishwasher has the forward facing Electronic Control Panel (a printed circuit, touch panel "Brain"), it failed in less than 2 years, $286.97 Installed to repair, no warranty.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Dwight all those with Avantis should install the support brace under the battery box, no longer have to be concerned with the weight of the battery causing the battery case to split. Jon Myer sells the battery box brace.
                            One of my Avantis (R5407) has the brace. My new one (R5255) I'll have to check. On the battery sizes, I should have mentioned size 25, which has the same dimensions as a 24, but is an inch or so shorter in length. The size 26 battery is even smaller. There is at least one list of all car batteries, along with their dimensions and terminal type & placement, available on the internet. Google found it easily. A battery hold-down that fits modern batteries is another whole discussion.
                            -Dwight

Comment

Apparently all of you Avanti owners talking about Battery Braces have '64 Avantis.

I don't have the luxury of using Group 24, 25, or 26 Batteries in my fairly Late '63, since of course most Avantis have the 3EE Forklift Batteries, with absolutely NO choice of sizes, Cranking AMPS and fewer Brands. Unless anyone would want an incorrect Size and Look Battery.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                                Apparently all of you Avanti owners talking about Battery Braces have '64 Avantis.

I don't have the luxury of using Group 24, 25, or 26 Batteries in my fairly Late '63, since of course most Avantis have the 3EE Forklift Batteries, with absolutely NO choice of sizes, Cranking AMPS and fewer Brands. Unless anyone would want an incorrect Size and Look Battery.
                                Rich, iirc, they have places like this that may help.

https://www.antiqueautobattery.com/other.html

Not familiar with the Avanti battery. Does it look like this?

Last edited by Topper2011; 12-22-2019, 09:09 AM.
                                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X