Thread: Trunk light

Speedster Member

Trunk light

Okay, I give up. How do you replace the trunk light in a '63 Avanti? I have both the shop manual & parts catalog & have looked up the light, which seems straightforward, however the assembly seems to be one piece and does not separate. I've removed the light socket from its place in the trunk and for the life of me I can't see how you remove the light bulb. If I pry the metal tangs from the light lens I might get access to the bulb but I think I might break the pot metal just to get at the bulb. I know it shouldn't be this difficult but it's got me stumped. Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    -thanks
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

President Member
    Dick, we visited your problem last Sunday on Al's Avanti, the socket fits in the lens housing very tight, it has some grippy tangs on it. Grab socket assembly in one hand,lens in the other and apply appropiate force to seperate. Maybe there is some rust helping hold it together. It is also fun to reassemble. Lou Cote

Speedster Member
    Lou,
    Would spraying the rim of the socket with a lubricant & then try prying a thin flat head screw driver between the socket & housing help? That was going to be my next step. Thanks for answering and offering advice.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

President Member
    Yes, I would try that. Are you interested in attending the Green Wood car show? it happens Saturday June 30, we have to be there early,but we have an assigned space for 10 cars. Usually we all go to the GreenWood Senior Center for breakfast. Let me know asap and I'll have Al send you a entry sheet. Lou

President Member
    Be careful here,a narrowed thin blade putty knife would probably be a better choice. the screwdriver puts pressure in one spot, putty blade spreads it around. Luck Doofus

Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    Okay, I give up. How do you replace the trunk light in a '63 Avanti? I have both the shop manual & parts catalog & have looked up the light, which seems straightforward, however the assembly seems to be one piece and does not separate. I've removed the light socket from its place in the trunk and for the life of me I can't see how you remove the light bulb. If I pry the metal tangs from the light lens I might get access to the bulb but I think I might break the pot metal just to get at the bulb. I know it shouldn't be this difficult but it's got me stumped. Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    -thanks
    Did you check the mercury switch that controls the light? The trunk light is turned on when the trunk lid is lifted. On the left inside of the trunk lid there is a small metal cylinder with a wire in and a wire out that goes to the trunk light. Lifting the lid causes the mercury in that cylinder to move completing the circuit to the light.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Speedster Member
    "Someone" was doing work on the antenna thinking it was the cause for the radio not working, when I said it wasn't. They left the trunk lid open & the light burned out. My guess is that the trunk lid was open for about two days.
    R.W. Emerson

Speedster Member
    silicone spay on the joint and let it sit over night. Used the putty knife & no problem separating the two. Thanks for the tip.
    R.W. Emerson

Speedster Member
    Light bulb is changed & it works. However, before the light went out as soon as the trunk lid was opened, the trunk light illuminated. Now, if we assume full open is 90 degrees and full shut is 0, the light comes on if the lid is lowered to about 75 degrees and it goes out at about 20 degrees. ???? Full open, NADA. Start to close, and about 75 degrees it's on and then shuts off again at about 20 degrees. Any ideas?
    R.W. Emerson

sounds like the mercury switch is out of adjustment. or possibly a crimped wire.
    while the trunk is fully open, see if you can wiggle the switch around to cause the light to come on. it should go off around the 20 degree mark or a bit lower.

it this works, secure the switch at that position. worked for me on the '63.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. [IMG][/IMG] '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.[IMG][/IMG]

Speedster Member
    Corvanti,
    I'll play with tonight using your suggestion & see if I can secure the switch so that it operates as it once did.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    R.W. Emerson

President Member
    If you look on Avanti facebook, you should be able to see where Al's is mounted, also back of my head. Lou

Speedster Member
    Lou,
    That's you trying to resuscitate the Avanti at the Vintage Aircraft Weekend in 2016 & includes a picture of Ray Keehner and Al Basile. Still hard to realize that Ray is gone. Played with the mercury switch last night & it's now G2G. Thanks for everyone's help.
    106.jpg
    Last edited by dleroux; 05-16-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    R.W. Emerson