Thread: '62 GT Hawk Tachometer

Speedster Member

'62 GT Hawk Tachometer

Would anyone have the diameter of the original tach? Right now I have a non working aftermarket tach and would like to replace it. I haven't found an original one yet so I thought about a newer Stewart Warner style. Does anyone have recommendations?
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

3 3/8" I've been looking at this Stewart Warner "delux series" from Summit Racing. It's the closest the in appearance to the stock gauges I could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-War...19.m1438.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    3 3/8" I've been looking at this Stewart Warner "delux series" from Summit Racing. It's the closest the in appearance to the stock gauges I could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-War...19.m1438.l2649

That is the closest match I have seen yet, appearance wise. A few years ago, I bought two tachs off ebay for our two GTs. They were only about $60 each. One continues to work well, but for the past year or so, the second one has been very erratic. I may bite the bullet and buy one of these you have found. Wonder if it will work with the electronic ignition that is part of the HFI setup, in the GT.
    Thanks!

Thats a good question Joe, if you find out let us know. A couple years ago I put the internals of a new Sun tach into the stock GT tach case, with the stock needle and face. I also have a GM HEI, it worked fine for a while but now won't go above 1500 rpm. I've had a GM HEI in my Ford for over 30 years, the Sun tach in it worked for 25 years before it started acting up.

The one above has only two reviews on Summit, but they are bad: rusting bezel, and slow moving needle. This one looks more promising, and higher quality, for only a little more money: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-...53.m1438.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    The one above has only two reviews on Summit, but they are bad: rusting bezel, and slow moving needle. This one looks more promising, and higher quality, for only a little more money: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-...53.m1438.l2649
    The only problem with it is it doesn't begin to resemble the stock gauges. The bezel cant rust it's painted.

Commander Member
    This is the one I used in my 62 GT Hawk with my Unilite Distributor. No problems, looks and works great.

SWW-82162
    Tachometer, Deluxe, 0-6,000 RPM, 3 3/8 in. Diameter, In-Dash Mount, Each
    Last edited by Mrkelly; 05-09-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Mike Kelly
    Regional Manager
    Texas
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by Mrkelly View Post
    This is the one I used in my 62 GT Hawk with my Unilite Distributor. No problems, looks and works great.

SWW-82162
    Tachometer, Deluxe, 0-6,000 RPM, 3 3/8 in. Diameter, In-Dash Mount, Each
    Thats the same one I posted earlier. Good to know it works well with the Unilite. If I remember right, that's just an optical trigger replacing the standard points and uses a stock coil, correct?

The only problem with it is it doesn't begin to resemble the stock gauges. The bezel cant rust it's painted.
    That is a point where you and I differ. For me, function is more important than appearance. I'd bolt a dash mounted Sun tach on the Stude, if that's what it took to get a tach that works properly. Fortunately, that will not be necessary. As for non resemblance to stock, heck neither do the 2003 Chrysler Sebring convertible seats. But they are far safer and more comfortable than OEM ever was. LOL

Speedster Member
    I see SPEEDWAY MOTORS has a 8000 RPM for $114. Its cheaper than the 6000 RPM, plus I just tuned the ole girl up so an 8000 RPM Tach might be needed now....yes this is a LOL statement. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stewa...Inch,7120.html
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

President Member
    image.jpgI have a very nice tach I never installed in my 63 R2 Hawk as I ended up fixing the OEM tach in the car. Contact me, I’ll send a pic and make you a great deal. Tim at hoesa81@yahoo.com
    Last edited by tim333; 05-09-2018 at 04:15 PM.

President Member
    I added a pic, it’s yours for $70 plus shipping from 60404.
    Last edited by tim333; 05-09-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Speedster Member
    Check out your boat parts dealers, I got a boat tach from someone on this site for $50.00 new in the box. Installed it two years ago and it works great. Looks very close to the stock, 6000 RPM. Made by Veethree Instruments. Veethree Electronics and Marine, 2050 47th Terrace East, Bradenton, FL, 34203.Tel 941-538-7775, Fax 941-775-1222, www.v3instruments. com. techservice@veethree. com. Don't know if any of this is currant, it's from the instruction sheet. the only thing wrong with it is the bezel is not chrome, it's grey, but it has the same shape as the stocker. If I ever pull it out, I may try to fit the stocker. -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    I added a pic, it’s yours for $95 plus shipping from 60404.
    I am interested, but do you know who makes it, and the model number? With that info, it should be easy to determine if it will work with the electronic ignition I am running, which is same as mid 1980s-mid 1990s GM.
    Thanks.

email sent
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.

President Member
    When I bought it I researched it through this forum. It will work on any 4 cycle gas engine. It’s a Teleflex 82288P. I found the receipt, $70 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    When I bought it I researched it through this forum. It will work on any 4 cycle gas engine. It’s a Teleflex 82288P. I found the receipt, $70 plus shipping.
    Yours looks to be a good enough match, for 56-61 Hawks, but I am look for one that has a black bezel, to match the GT.
    Thanks Much,
    Joe H

President Member
    Spray it black, easy enough.

Commander Member
    I have a '63 GT Tach with a great looking head. Interested, contact me RB.V4@att.net

Isn't it always interesting when you pull an item up on eBay now they give you a Dozen More shown at the bottom, usually beating the first Guy's Price.

Here's the Same Black Bezel Tach for a '62-'64 Hawk for ONLY $128.95 WITH free Shipping.
    I started at $157.00 !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-....c100005.m1851

I could probably live with the wrong shape bezel, but not the red needle.

I could probably live with the wrong shape bezel, but not the red needle.
    I can live with the red needle, it will match the red interior and the red Chrysler seats. LOL

I just snagged one of them for $128.95, thanks to Rich

Will let y'all know how it works out.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Isn't it always interesting when you pull an item up on eBay now they give you a Dozen More shown at the bottom, usually beating the first Guy's Price.

Here's the Same Black Bezel Tach for a '62-'64 Hawk for ONLY $128.95 WITH free Shipping.
    I started at $157.00 !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-....c100005.m1851
    Rich-
    Not wishing to divert this thread into a discussion of eBay software, but that has never been my experience. If I click on a Studebaker fuel pump, it will suggest (for example) fuel filters, Ford fuel pumps, locking gas caps, etc. I recognize that not everybody's needs are as specific as mine, but I have found their helpful hints to be an annoyance.

President Member
    An original won't work with Pertronix ignition module. Some folks say there is some way to do it but it elludes me. Spent a fortune on electronic conversion by Autoinstuments; doesn't work! Don't send them anything!! Same for "Bob's"; they are scalpers. I found a VDO that looks like original but I like the SW much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    An original won't work with Pertronix ignition module. Some folks say there is some way to do it but it elludes me. Spent a fortune on electronic conversion by Autoinstuments; doesn't work! Don't send them anything!! Same for "Bob's"; they are scalpers. I found a VDO that looks like original but I like the SW much better.
    Looking in my maintenance log from years, even decades gone by, I did not lose either of the stock GT tachs when I switched to Pertronix. I lost them both upon switching to electronic ignition and computerized spark timing control, which was part of the HFI conversion. To remedy that, I used a tach adapter for one of the GTs, but the tach still did not work like it did prior. So I have since went to modern tachs on both of the GTs.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-17-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Tachometer.jpg

Somebody knows where I can get a sensor under the distributor cap for the original tachometer??

Thanks Walter
    Walter

80 Fiat Spider
    63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
    60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
    56 Golden Hawk
    56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
    68 Volvo P1800S
    56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

President Member Swiss-Goldenhawk's Avatar
    Hello Walter

That should be the round tachometer sending unit, that you are searching. Unfortunately, I don't know of a source where you could get one.

Best regards and good luck in finding one. Maybe yours could be rebuilt/repaired?

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...6tachwire.html

Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by Santosh View Post
    Tachometer.jpg

Somebody knows where I can get a sensor under the distributor cap for the original tachometer??

Thanks Walter
    Try Brent Hagan, out in Oregon. He advertises in the 56J Only. He restores them, and may have an NOS one or two. His prices are fair and reasonable.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-17-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    I can live with the red needle, it will match the red interior and the red Chrysler seats. LOL

I just snagged one of them for $128.95, thanks to Rich

Will let y'all know how it works out.
    I received the Auto meter tach yesterday, and installed it this evening. It was an easy install, and works perfectly. What a relief to have an accurate tach. The other brand 'x' would jump up or down 500 RPM or so, if you tapped on the face of it.

Only glitch with this Auto Meter is, the illumination light is about 10 times as bright as any of the other dash lights. Gotta figure out some way to dim it down a bit. Or wear sun glasses if driving the car at night. LOL