Can I borrow your truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I borrow your truck?

I bring my Champ occasionally to my wife's shop. It's an attention getter and good advertising for her furniture consignment bizz. Anyway. a new customer asked yesterday if I would mind following her to the Habitat store to pick up some doors and then follow her home (30 miles round trip).
    I politely declined but does anyone else think that was a little nervy for a stranger?
    PS, she didn't buy anything either!
    Last edited by rbruner; 05-04-2018, 08:04 AM.

I have seen a bumper sticker that says "Yes, this is my truck. No, I won't help you move."
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That sounds a little "nervy" for a friend, much less a stranger ! People are so "entitled" these days, bah !

Comment

Picked up my '73 Ford F-100 P-up, in Sep. of '73, brought it home, parked it, my brother took the keys, and I didn't see it for 4 days. Can't tell you the number of times my mother, brother, sister, volunteered my truck and my services. It got so bad that my future wife's sister thought the truck benefits extended to her & her friends. I was fed up & sold it in '78 going truckless for 11 years, the longest time I've been without a truck. I've had various ones since 1989 but I've never been without. I'm thinking about retiring / downsizing, but I'm not sure if I could live without a truck.

Comment

Over the last 40 years, a way I found to cut the request off immediately is to say;

If you need my truck while I'm available, here are the rules. I drive the truck, you buy the fuel. I do not load, unload, carry or tie down your possessions, that's up to you. We are not going to drive down the road looking like the Beverly Hillbillies, with all your worldly possessions in one load, if it takes 5 trips so be it. No more than 2 passengers allowed to climb in the cab, and your 4 friends can't ride in the bed either.

After 4 years of feeling like a moving company, I gradually came up with those rules. So far, they still work.
          Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

If you don't use the truck often jack it up and take a wheel off. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
              Picked up my '73 Ford F-100 P-up, in Sep. of '73, brought it home, parked it, my brother took the keys, and I didn't see it for 4 days. Can't tell you the number of times my mother, brother, sister, volunteered my truck and my services. It got so bad that my future wife's sister thought the truck benefits extended to her & her friends. I was fed up & sold it in '78 going truckless for 11 years, the longest time I've been without a truck. I've had various ones since 1989 but I've never been without. I'm thinking about retiring / downsizing, but I'm not sure if I could live without a truck.
              Sure, you can live without a truck. Just borrow one whenever you need one. Seems like everyone you know does that. <G>
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I've owned a truck since the mid 70's and wouldn't be without one now. I loaned out one of my trucks once and it came back with a bed full of trash and little gas in the tank. That was the first and last time I loaned out a vehicle. My comment to people that want to use my truck or have me haul something for them is I don't loan out my truck and I don't want to drive your car. Bud

Comment

Try owning a old school boom wrecker or a wedge style car hauler.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I can say for the 4 years or so that I drove my '55 E7 as a daily driver, no one asked me to borrow it.

Probably for the same reason I didn't hesitate to leave the keys in it at work - only one out of a hundred would be able to figure out how to start it (turn the key, then push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to engage the starter.) Then, only one out of ten would know how to drive the 3 speed on the column.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                      I bring my Champ occasionally to my wife's shop. It's an attention getter and good advertising for her furniture consignment bizz. Anyway. a new customer asked yesterday if I would mind following her to the Habitat store to pick up some doors and then follow her home (30 miles round trip).
                      I politely declined but does anyone else think that was a little nervy for a stranger?
                      PS, she didn't buy anything either!
                      I would come back with; it is $20 per hour for my time plus 50 cents per mile for the pickup. The wallet is usually the deciding factor. Of course, if they go for it, then you are exposed from a license and insurance standpoint.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sure, you can live without a truck. Just borrow one whenever you need one. Seems like everyone you know does that. <G>

Jerry, you are so prescient. After having endured this a number of times, my father, Fred, took me aside and said;

"I always thought you were a quick learner."He's also the one who taught me to ALWAYS look a gift horse in the mouth along with many other valuable life lessons. He was the luckiest man on earth and I miss him every day.

Comment

If she can't afford $19.95 to rent a U-Haul at Home Depot, she has a problem.

Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            If she can't afford $19.95 to rent a U-Haul at Home Depot, she has a problem.

Craig.
                            I doubt that you ever got a U-Haul rental truck at Home Depot (really a Home Depot rental, not U-Haul), that finally came to $19.95. Fuel/mileage and tax are on top of that base price.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bought home the 350 Chevy engine and the 700R4 for my Studebaker in the back of my Mazda 323 hatchback. The last time I remember borrowing a truck was when... OPPS, ... I trailered my Studebaker home back in 2010. But this was a good friend who always offers his help (and I try and not take advantage of it). In the end it is reciprocal. He wanted me to help pull half his truck apart due to a suspected exhaust leak causing loss of boost. In the end I found it to be a bad intercooler silicone hose. Fortunate him, and fortunate me!
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X