Thread: Best Chrome Polishing Method & How to Keep Whitewalls White!

Commander Member

Best Chrome Polishing Method & How to Keep Whitewalls White!

I'd like some advice about the best method for polishing vintage chrome. The shiny stuff on the outside of my '51 Champion looks great, but the interior chrome is hazy. What's the best method to spiff it up?

And how should I keep whitewalls white on new (Coker) tires? What do you recommend?

Try using regular old toothpaste on that interior chrome to shine it up. It has a little bit if very fine polishing compound and then you can put a good chrome polish on to protect it.
    I use a product "Bleech-White" on my whitewalls. I get it at the local auto parts stores. White wall tire cleaner is getting harder to find, as are white wall tires.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Golden Hawk Member
    Purple Power works great on whitewalls.

Purple Power works great on whitewalls.
    Wear rubber gloves when you use it. That stuff will take your skin off.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Speedster Member
    Be very carful with Bleech-White ww cleaner, it will 'stain/mark' paint on hub caps, ie. Avanti.

409 will work on whitewalls.

I have good luck with Mister Clean soft scrub pads or Scotch Brite and dish washing soap. On older tires not Diamondback used Comet cleanser.

President Member
    Never Dull will restore your chrome to original luster without the use of abrasives. Leaves no residue to "pick out" of channels. Harmless to plastics. Polishes, removes haze and leaves a protective sealer behind. Works extremely well. Highly recommended.

Speedster Member
    Stop using Comet Cleanser or any Cleanser for that matter on anything, you don't need it and it's not good in any waste water. Simply make a paste out of baking soda and water and use that to scrub anything & follow that up with white vinegar. You'll be surprised at how clean that will get whatever your attacking, wheel stains, kitchen sink stains, you name it. Let the vinegar make it foam up and simply wash the residue away with water.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Bleche-Wite Tire Cleaner is marketed specifically to clean tires, especially white walls. It works well but, the way it works well is to be incredibly caustic, like Easy-Off oven cleaner. If it can eat the skin off your hands--which it can--it can't be good for the long term life of your expensive classic tires. Just use 409 or Simple Green with a nylon brush and a fine steel wool pad for the tough spots.

The tire companies recommend a mild abrasive, like sand paper, for white wall tires. All of those cleaning products eat/rot the rubber.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Speedster Member
    Brillo or SOS pads do a great job.

President Member
    I've heard a number of people recommend Coca-Cola rubbed with aluminum foil. I've never tried it.

What I have used is PB Blaster ( type of penetrating oil) on a soft rag. It works pretty well.

That's on chrome plated parts, not tires.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    Never Dull will restore your chrome to original luster without the use of abrasives. Leaves no residue to "pick out" of channels. Harmless to plastics. Polishes, removes haze and leaves a protective sealer behind. Works extremely well. Highly recommended.
    Best stuff available. If this stuff won't clean/shine your chrome, nothing will. cheers jimmijim
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Commander Member
    I use Shout stain remover to clean white walls and white lettered tires. Many years ago, I had bought a new Oldsmobile 442 and somehow got a grease mark on the light grey velour seat within the first couple of days. My Mom grabbed her bottle of Shout from the laundry room and proceeded to remove the grease. Afterwards you couldn't tell that it was ever there. From that point on, I kept a bottle in the garage and started using it on whitewalls and to clean my hands on occasion. When washing tires, I spray the whitewalls, wait a minute or two and then wash with the rest of the tire and wheel cover. It dissolves the dirt and cleans without scrubbing. It also is a mild cleaner and does not irritate your skin or damage your car.
    Randy Ridenour
    Frostburg,MD
    1964 GT Hawk

Speedster Member
    I like to use a McGuires Clay Bar on everything from paint, chrome and glass. You would be amazed how clear the glass looks after doing this. I used the clay bar yesterday on some chrome as well as another product. I will get the details on this other product later today. In the picture the left is the clay bar and the right is after McGuires Cleaner Wax. The car was covered in green paint over spray 9347CD6C-810A-4801-8D62-A5673F07D793.jpg
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Speedster Member
    “Brasso” chrome and stainless cleaner.
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

I have tried many different chrome products but always come back to Simichrome, especially for stainless. Of course, if you can remove the piece, a good polishing wheel and fine compound work best.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
    I have tried many different chrome products but always come back to Simichrome, especially for stainless. Of course, if you can remove the piece, a good polishing wheel and fine compound work best.
    Semichrome comes in a tube as a paste. It is abrasive and leaves a white residual you'll have to remove. Use of an abrasive on antique interior chrome control knobs and switches and door handles is not advised. Again, Neverdull is the preferred product for polishing chrome. It's gentle enough for interior chrome and strong enough to remove blueing from Motorcycle chromed exhaust pipes. Nothing else compares. As the old saying goes:" It's a no brainer."